Shipping price raise...UPS! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-30-2005, 08:46 PM   #1
tundrageckos
Shipping price raise...UPS!

Hello guys,

I hope everyone is doing well. The reason why I am writing this post is because I've been noticing that UPS has started to raise the Next Day Air prices to most zip codes in the US.

We, Tundra Geckos, usually charges a flat rate of $35 per box, which size is 15X11X7, which I believe is the size that a lot of breeders use.

Recently, when I print the label on ups.com and I enter those measurements, the price comes up to $47 on average per shipment, and if i enter the smaller boxes's prices (12X9X6) the price comes up to $40 on average.

I wanted to share this with you guys since I am about to either start charging a flat rate of $40-$45 dollars or just send an email to the customer with the exact price of the shipping, so they are aware of the exact charge...

What do you guys think?

David & Daniel Villar

Old 01-30-2005, 09:11 PM   #2
Golden Gate Geckos
it really stinks...

Yes, UPS has recently changed their dimensional weight criteria as well as the fuel surcharges. There is already an existing thread on this subject, and perhaps you might find some useful information...
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...ad.php?t=61180

Old 01-30-2005, 09:20 PM   #3
Jodi L Aherns
I use the 12x9x6 and raised my shipping price to $45.00.It sucks but that is UPS.They are the only ones i can ship with here in Mn.

Old 01-31-2005, 03:10 AM   #4
robin d.
they have been doing that here in TX for about a year now

Old 01-31-2005, 10:06 AM   #5
Milwaukee Reptiles
Does anyone know (for sure) whether or not USPS will take leos/beardies/geckos ect? I was looking at their site for information about it, and couldn't find anything.

I think what I may end up doing is charging Actual Shipping costs with UPS, or charge $30 flat rate for USPS (provided they take reptiles), but will only guarantee live arrival if it makes it next day (Which I can't guarantee), so if the buyer wanted to use USPS they would basically do so at their own risk.

Obviously I can pack the boxes well enough to survive a 2 day trip, and being in the middle of the country everything is overnight (so they say). I checked the overnightness from here (milwaukee, WI) to Miami, LA, Seattle, and Maine, so that should cover just about anywhere it needs to go.

I just am nervous about trusting USPS with anything live... I've heard good things and I've heard bad things.

Old 01-31-2005, 12:00 PM   #6
robin d.
usps... does not guarentee overnight delivery.. in some areas it will say that overnight is available (i know of times "overnight has taken 3 days) but they will not guarantee it. i called UPS and asked if i needed to fill out any papers, lable the box ect. and they read me verbatum the new policy which does not say anything about any paperwork or marking the boxes. The only requirements are that they are packaged saftly, provided for minimally for safe shipping.. food,water ect. and that they be shipped next day air service. thats it. i would not even offer the option of usps, personally i care too much for my animals than to have them in usps limbo for however long. if the customer does not like the shipping price they can buy elsewhere

Old 01-31-2005, 01:57 PM   #7
Arnold8169
On the contrary...

U.S.P.S. does guarantee overnight to most areas. You just have to be careful what the said time is. Express is either 12, 3, or 2 day. The only catch is, (and would never reccomend this) is if you put live animals on the box, they give the package to fed ex and usually do not meet their guarantee time by a few hours. I have had this happen to me on about 5 consecutive packages last Summer, all arriving in less than 48 hours, but in my experience never meet the guarantee if you disclose what's in the box on the outside of the box. It is perfectly legal to ship any lizard under 20" that is not poisinous, and does not require care during transit time. You will recieve a full refund for shipping on anything that doesn't get attempted by the guaranteed time. The only catch is live animals are a 2 day gurantee and the post office will not refund your investment in the animal unless they take longer than 2 day to deliever their express package. I will continue to offer this to my people because if I purchase an inexpensive herp I want it as cheap as possible. Packed correctly most single lizards will run you 17.85 under 2 pounds and I have never paid more than 22.00 for a pair of bearded dragons. They are the very cheapest around, but are not known for their reliability.

If you were buying a 10 dollar leo during the Summer, go with U.S.P.S.

If your buying a leucistic bearded dragon, go with U.P.S.

Jeff Janes

Old 01-31-2005, 04:13 PM   #8
Milwaukee Reptiles
I'm still undecided. I know that it's going to be impossible to sell anything (except for local pickup) if I charge $60 to ship a $20 normal leo. At the same time, I don't want to deal with the loss of a little guy or girl. Damn UPS for putting me in this position.... Damn them!!! :P

Old 01-31-2005, 06:09 PM   #9
Jodi L Aherns
You need to mark all boxs.If you do not you are breaking the lacy act.

Brian,I would not ship USPS i have raised my price to $45.00 and that is covering my shipping in the 12x9x6 box.

Old 01-31-2005, 06:28 PM   #10
wahberee
WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!
lol,
to think that I just switched to UPS from DHL because I thought they would have better rates.
Just my luck.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!