possible sick boa?? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-10-2004, 01:11 AM   #1
mbleek448
possible sick boa??

She seems weak. I held her by her tail and she had to struggle to raise up. Her tail would not hold my finger like normal yearlings would. Could this be from calcium spray? Or any other hints to what could be wrong? TY Marshall

Old 02-10-2004, 01:30 AM   #2
robin d.
you have been spraying her with calcium?? if so why? also what is she eating and how often? have you noticed any other symptoms?? loose stool or sneeze coughing or mucus???
what are her hemps like what what is her set up like?? also is she housed with any other animals???
we are going to need a little more in order to help you out but if you don't feel right about her i suggest buying the boa constrictor manuall (assuming she is a boa constrictor) areading up on that and taking her to a vet for a check up

Old 02-10-2004, 01:35 AM   #3
mbleek448
I am feeding her large mice once every 7-10 days and I am spraying the mice before I feed.

Old 02-10-2004, 01:47 AM   #4
robin d.
hm well i have never heard of spraying the prey with calcium... they get all the nutrients they need from the mice or rats you feed it, i would stop using that, also assuming she is a boa constrictor... she should be eating more of then and by now something a bit larger you might want to feed her every 7 days and increase the size of her meals..... the rodent should be no larger than the thickest part of her body. but dont underfeed her either.... what about the other questions i asked... set up? temps? any other animals caged with her? any other symptoms??
a good book for basic info is the boa constrictor manual and it costs less than 10 bucks at most any eet store..

Old 02-10-2004, 01:58 AM   #5
mbleek448
She (boa) is in a 55 gallon tank with three other boas. The temp is anywhere from 84 to 90 degrees. I use carefresh bedding which I understand is recycled newspaper. I use a red bulb for air temp and I have a 30 gallon under-tank heat pad for belly heat. A nice size water dish where all four could fit comfortly. I have read a lot of care sheets and books. I was just wondering if anyone might of had a similar problem?

Old 02-10-2004, 02:11 AM   #6
mbleek448
Should you feed even if you can still feel the mouse from the previous feeding? When they go to the bathroom does it mean anything if it is all white?

Old 02-10-2004, 04:38 AM   #7
robin d.
i would seperate her until you get a good idea of if she is sick or not... basically being able to keep a closer eye on her. if she feels like she is weaker, she might very well be..... i would sugest a check up with a vet and get a fecal test done while she is there to rule out any possible parasites. it is hard to say if anything is wrong with her or not from your explanations.

Quote:
Should you feed even if you can still feel the mouse from the previous feeding?
that is going to be debatable depedending on who you ask.. some people will say as soon as the animals poops its okay to feed again. while others will say every 7 days regardless.... assuming she is a common bci, they tend to have a very hardy digestive tract and either of those would be fine. if she is a true redtail bcc like a surinam or peruvian a feeding schedule of 7-10 days depending on when they poop is a must for neonates til about 12-18 months old

Quote:
When they go to the bathroom does it mean anything if it is all white?
that is fine... all the white stuff is, is urates basically the same as urine in humans or the same principal

Old 02-10-2004, 07:48 AM   #8
mbleek448
Thank you for your help!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!