Overweight Juvie - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-05-2012, 11:22 PM   #11
G1a55Ca5k3t
he likes climbing so he has a little tree that he climbs on and sleeps on but that puts him up closer to the bulbs, thats where he usually basks instead of on his rock, i think because the tank is a bit taller.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:29 PM   #12
mikepanzarella
bug burger is a product made by repashy its a gut load for the insects and when i said greens i was referring to types of lettuce
i have my basking spots built up using bricks (they hold the heat very well) this way the dragons pick how much heat they need and also how close they want to get
you can tell a good basking spot if the dragon basks with his mouth open

Old 06-05-2012, 11:29 PM   #13
G1a55Ca5k3t
So you both think he's underweight? Do they always have pudgy looking stomachs.. or is that from him not getting the right nutrients?
He's my first baby that I've raised... I have an adult too but he was given to me as an adult so he's a lot more simple.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:34 PM   #14
G1a55Ca5k3t
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepanzarella View Post
bug burger is a product made by repashy its a gut load for the insects and when i said greens i was referring to types of lettuce
i have my basking spots built up using bricks (they hold the heat very well) this way the dragons pick how much heat they need and also how close they want to get
you can tell a good basking spot if the dragon basks with his mouth open
Oh okay that makes a lot more sense of what you were talking about. But yeah I see my adult doing that a lot and I've read about that too. I might try adjusting his basking spot a bit and maybe try to get him a better basking light instead of just the 60watt.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:38 PM   #15
OEdwards
post a pic of him i agree with mike on the basking I also prefer bricks

Old 06-05-2012, 11:39 PM   #16
OEdwards
oh and I use 100 watts

Old 06-05-2012, 11:43 PM   #17
rosebud945
Do you measure the temps in the tank? If so, what do you use to measure them? You need a good hot basking spot with a range of temps on the surface of the basking spot or series of spots, not the ambient and you need to measure it with a temp gun or a digital thermometer with a probe laying on the basking spot. Then you need a cooler end of the tank. It needs light, but not heat so much. You should keep it around mid 80s.

It sounds to me like he isn't processing his food well and that could be temp related. Can you post a pic?

Old 06-05-2012, 11:52 PM   #18
G1a55Ca5k3t
I have thermometers for the tank but I haven't measured the basking spot because I haven't known how to get the temperature of the of it. So I can look into that. Otherwise, he has his basking light (the 60watt currently but from what Owen was saying I think I'll try a 100) over where he likes to bask then directly next to that is where I have my Reptiglow 10.0 UVB - sort of in the middle of the tank. He does have a cooler side where his heating pad is underneath his rock. His food looks thoroughly processed in his poop.. but that could not mean anything!

And yes I'll take a good picture of his stomach when he wakes up in the morning.

Old 06-06-2012, 12:02 AM   #19
OEdwards
also if you use sand I find that it gets in the dragons digestive track and can cause problems

Old 06-06-2012, 12:07 AM   #20
mikepanzarella
if i had to guess why hes not as long would be bad lighting or maybe hes just the runt of the litter
i have a dragon right now that is 2 years old and when i got her she was 95 grams and only about 11 inches ive had her about 6 weeks shes now up to 200 grams and has shed about 3 times i havnt checked her size
thats just how drastic it can be lol

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
bearded dragon