Unusual Requests - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 05-16-2010, 08:10 PM   #1
Cp3_Pythons
Unusual Requests

I got a very unusual Request the other day. I was out and about and started talking with some people while waiting in line, Somehow we got onto the topic of reptiles and I began speaking on my Ball and Burm collection and How I was expecting Eggs from a Normal Female Breed to my Albino Male Bp. The couple acted as if they were interested Aking questions when are they due? How many are you expecting? I said Im hoping within the next 40-50 days she'll lay. They then began to talk about the Burm and when she should lay I tell them it will be at least a year before I breed her. The last question to be asked by them was How much I would charge per egg before they hatched. Yes thats right They only want the eggs. I was stunned and speachless for a minute and told them I didnt know I would have to see how many she laid. Has ANY one else ever had this sort of request? I mean they were 125% serious about it

Old 05-16-2010, 08:19 PM   #2
Melinda
That is weird. I know some birds can be purchased in egg, but had no idea reptiles would be too. I'd have to ask what they plan to do with the eggs.

Old 05-16-2010, 09:16 PM   #3
Cp3_Pythons
In all honesty I think it was going to be the main course NO BS

Old 05-16-2010, 09:55 PM   #4
Wolfy-hound
Maybe you've uncovered a whole new market?

You can indeed buy fertile hatching eggs from birds, but since birds' eggs need to be turned on a regular basis and can be allowed to get chill at the beginning and still be hatched(chill within reason of course), they are much hardier when it comes to moving them. Since reptile eggs are generally not supposed to be turned, I would think moving them for sale would be more risky.

Of course, if they want to eat them, then hey.. burmese lay a LOT of eggs, and if you were to just breed for eggs to sell for food... although I'd wonder about laws regarding selling food products.

Definitely odd!

Old 05-16-2010, 10:58 PM   #5
Cp3_Pythons
Thats what I was thinking I mean diffrent cultures diffrent dishes right I mean I see signs for Chicken eggs all the time and I know some exotic dishes go for a thousand or two easy depending on the species being consummed I dont know but it struck me as odd either way

Old 05-17-2010, 01:33 AM   #6
Helenthereef
probably considered an aphrodisiac somewhere..... turtle eggs aren't that different and are consumed all over the world for this purpose.....

Old 05-17-2010, 11:04 AM   #7
Cp3_Pythons
But what would the rest of the Reptile Industry think about it? How would you price just the eggs? Would it be wrong just to sell the eggs for the purpose of being consumed?

Old 05-17-2010, 11:09 AM   #8
Cp3_Pythons
How would price just the eggs? By what could be inside? What would the rest of the Reptile Industry think about it? Would it be incorrect/ not right to sell the egg for the purpose of being consumed?

Old 05-17-2010, 12:53 PM   #9
garweft
I would think that they weren't going to look to pay anymore than a few dollars per egg if they were to be consumed. I would equate the value of the egg to the wholesale price of an unstarted hatchling, which is a little more than a few dollars..... not much more, but enough to make an egg not worth selling.

Old 05-17-2010, 01:18 PM   #10
pturley
Several years ago I had the same request.

Snake eggs are often used in SE Asia for a variety of traditional treatments. Per a number of people I used to work with (Thai, Vietnamese and Laotian), when available in the traditional "medicinal" market, snake eggs can sell for $6-$30+++ each depending on species.

I can't say that I didn't think long and hard about it. If I would've kept corns at the time, I may well have taken them up on it.

Mind you, this is an entirely unregulated transaction and I have NO IDEA about the legality in your area (or in mine for that matter). I am pretty sure the USDA or some other regulatory body would have more than a few opinions on this!

Sincerely,
Paul E. Turley

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!