Question About Heat Packs - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 11-22-2005, 02:19 PM   #1
jsrocket
Question About Heat Packs

Who knows a lot about heat packs?

I recently got an order of snakes, which arrived well packed, but dead. This could have been due to a number of reasons, but I can't help but suspect the heat packs. They were porous, and filled with an organic substance.

My hunch is, they generated an oxidation reaction (to provide heat), sucking up all the available oxygen in the container.

I could be wrong on this, but would like some input.

Old 11-22-2005, 03:20 PM   #2
SPJ
It's possible. Was the box sealed tight? Any way for airflow to get in? Heat packs do eat up the oxygen to work. As soon as they are exposed to the air, they are activated.

Old 11-22-2005, 10:38 PM   #3
jsrocket
Yes, the box was sealed pretty tightly.

Old 11-23-2005, 07:29 PM   #4
The BoidSmith
Jim,

In my opinion the oxygen depletion due to heat packs is overrated. As long as the box is not taped in every corner there’s enough air circulating. I’ve never had a DOA using 40-h heat packs in boxes with not even one hole in the cardboard, as long as the flaps on the sides are left un-taped for air circulation. Today I received a shipment in a sturdy cardboard box lined with solid 1 inch thick Styrofoam (those used to ship medical supplies). The lid (which fits perfectly in place for a tight closure) had six small holes made with a pencil. The outside dimensions were 15"x15" by 10" high. Two 40-h heat packs were taped to the bottom. On top of them a polyurethane sheet (mattress) served as cushion and separated the heat packs from the snakes. The box contained 9 ball pythons (5 babies and 4 sub-adults) in their respective bags. Crimped newspaper filled the rest of the box. All snakes arrived in great shape, and the temperature inside the box was perfect. There was not even one hole in the cardboard box. In my opinion what kills reptiles this time of the year is shipping them when the conditions are not right (Less than 20F) and/or the use of regular Styro-lined boxes. For this kind of weather we need heavy duty boxes, even recycled ones available at most pharmacies or clinics. They might not look so fancy like the brand new ones that have separate Styrofoam panels but they certainly do the job, and deliver the snakes safe and sound. When in doubt about the temperatures, don’t ship. It is the shipper’s responsibility to determine when it’s safe to ship the snakes. If the buyer screams and shouts because he wants them delivered explain to him why not. If he still insists refund his money and forget about that deal. No reptile should suffer the consequences of a faulty shipment.

Regards.

Old 11-24-2005, 07:52 PM   #5
jsrocket
Dan,

Thanks for your insight. When I said the snakes came recently, I meant this Fall, when it was still pretty warm out. I don't think excess cold was the reason.

I was wondering about the different types of heat packs, though, as I have seen 2 different types; those in sealed plastic containers, and those in porous "bags" (similar to a giant teabag).

I assume the ones in the sealed plastic do not use up any oxygen, but was wondering about the porous ones. That was the type used in this shipment.

Old 11-24-2005, 09:38 PM   #6
dragonflyreptiles
I have always worried about heat packs.

I think think they should be at the bottom (as heat rises) and a slit in the bottom styro and tape to provide the air the pack needs to activate.

There are also those times when it is fall and it is 80 at the shippers and much lower at the receivers end, heat pack or not? It could cook them on one side or keep them warm to to other....

Old 11-24-2005, 10:18 PM   #7
Xelda
The best place to position a hot or cold pack is on the side, not the top or the bottom. This will allow your animals to thermoregulate to some extent.

Old 11-25-2005, 05:02 AM   #8
DAND
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrocket
When I said the snakes came recently, I meant this Fall, when it was still pretty warm out. I don't think excess cold was the reason.
Where did they originate from? If it was warm where they started from it could have been too hot with the addition of a heat pack or packs.

Also, the size of the box in comparison to the size of and/or number of heat pack(s).

The type of aniamls could also be a factor. Some would handle the heat better than others.

The location of the heat pack(s) could have been an issue. Where were the heat pack(s) located in the box? If the animals were in direct contact with the pack it could have been way too hot.

Was the heat pack covered in any way (taped or wrapped in newspaper)?

Old 11-25-2005, 10:01 AM   #9
The BoidSmith
Quote:
Thanks for your insight. When I said the snakes came recently, I meant this Fall, when it was still pretty warm out. I don't think excess cold was the reason.

I was wondering about the different types of heat packs, though, as I have seen 2 different types; those in sealed plastic containers, and those in porous "bags" (similar to a giant teabag).
If it was last fall, then it could’ve been excessive heat (depending on temperatures during transit). The only instance where I could see lack of oxygen being a problem is if the outside cardboard box is taped shut in every possible air inlet. This is probably harder to do than to say. The two types of heat packs you describe are probably one and the same. Heat packs come in oxygen tight, sealed plastic containers when you purchase them. Oxygen is needed for the chemical reaction that generates heat to happen so before their use you have to remove them from the wrap and shake them well. It is then when they look like a large “tea-bag” as you say.

Regards

Old 11-25-2005, 10:08 AM   #10
jsrocket
They were Cal. kings, going from Fla. to MI. The box about 12 x 12 x 4". Two heat packs. I'm starting to think they may have overheated.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!