What kind of spiter is this? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Insects and Arachnids > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Insects and Arachnids.

Old 11-05-2004, 11:36 PM   #1
Karen Hulvey
Question What kind of spiter is this?

I live in southern Missouri and I can't find any pictures of this spider on the web at all. I've found hundreds of pictures of Missouri spiders simply by googling Missouri spiders but this one isn't there.

Karen
Attached Images

Old 11-05-2004, 11:38 PM   #2
Karen Hulvey
Another picture. The spider is in one of the small deli cups.

Karen
Attached Images

Old 12-01-2004, 05:56 PM   #3
John Apple
Karen
Not sure what it is so tell me this..was it found under a log with a 'messy' looking web or was it found under a rock or log with a real neat tunnel or out in the open in a tunnel.
It looks to be some sort of trap or folding door spider , both mygals.
try and take a closer pic of the spider from the front

Old 12-01-2004, 08:43 PM   #4
Karen Hulvey
This spider was found in the kitchen of a nursing home where my friend works. This spider makes a funnel with the shavings and lives in it. So far the only spider I've found that looks like it is the Sydney funnel web spider. No Missouri spider I've found on the web even comes close to resembling this one. I know that's pretty far fetched and pretty much impossible for it to be here in Missouri and be an Australian funnel web but so far that's the only one it resembles.
Here is a pix of the Sydney funnel web spider from this website:
http://search.netscape.com/ns/boomfr...Ffunnelweb.htm
Attached Images

Old 12-02-2004, 07:09 PM   #5
John Apple
atypus affinus

Karen
I might have the spelling wrong but the common name is the purseweb spider and the range is across much of the US including here in Michigan [I have collected them before] It is a mygal and the only of two closely related species here in Mi.The description of the web makes me think it is an attypus
I am guessing you have one of these but as they say in your state 'show me' with a pic up close on the front of the spider or a better pic of the carapace.
There is a park in Columbus that I have collected folding door spiders which is a sort of trap door spider that pulls the opening in with them when they are frightened
have you found many of these??

Old 12-02-2004, 09:40 PM   #6
Karen Hulvey
I'll work on getting a good close up pix of the carapace and front of the spider. I don't have a digital camera, only a 35mm. I have to take the pixs, get them developed and then put on CD so I'll probably take me a week.

This is the only spider like this I've ever seen. It was found in the kitchen of the nursing home where a friend of mine works.

It makes a funnel shaped "house" out of the shavings that is closed on both ends. You have to use tweezers to get the spider out and then he's really pissy.

I'll work on the pix and try to get it posted ASAP.

Thanks.

Old 12-03-2004, 06:36 PM   #7
John Apple
Karen

sounds like an attypus sp. for sure
from the description of the web..what these guys do is make a tube and then cover it with sticks and dirt and stones deak leaves[you get the idea]
and then any bug unlucky enough to cross this tube is attacked from inside by the spider. It pierces the tube with it's large fangs drags the unlucky bug in seals up the hole and eats.
These guys live a long time

Old 12-15-2004, 11:26 PM   #8
Karen Hulvey
Okay, here's a picture of him in his little house and a picture of the front of him. I'm sorry but I had the camera set wrong and messed up all my @#!$% pictures! I've had this camera for about 20 years and only did this once before, the first month I owend it, and NEVER since! Until now that is.
Attached Images

Old 12-16-2004, 06:22 AM   #9
John Apple
Karen
It's a pursweb for sure, what species of attypus I am not sure as the chelicerae are smaller than most.
mygal for sure also [but you allready knew that]

Old 12-16-2004, 10:06 AM   #10
Karen Hulvey
Hey thanks for the I.D. I was pretty concerned when the only picture that resembled this spider was an Australian funnel web spider, especially since it was found in the kitchen of a nursing home.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!