Turkey and turklettes with maybe an unhappy ending. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Birds > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Birds.

Old 04-25-2019, 07:42 PM   #1
WebSlave
Turkey and turklettes with maybe an unhappy ending.

Put the game camera out to monitor a burrow on our property last night. Turned out to be a armadillo's home, but the camera running this morning wound up catching some other critters too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfLOgYcg_gU

Hope that isn't the mom turkey at the end calling to the little ones that wound up being fox food.

Old 04-26-2019, 08:57 AM   #2
E.Shell
Wow, those little guys can't be much more than a day or three old.... Great video quality, BTW.

She may be trying to capture the fox's attention. The hen will often hide the young and then present herself to predators to lead them away. Not quite as dramatic as the killdeer’s broken wing act, but seems to work.

I caught a young turkey crossing a dirt road and the female circled us, getting very close, staying in plain sight and making lots of noise, trying to draw me off. Without young present, it is doubtful she would have even allowed me much more than a glimpse. Turkeys are unique, in that they seem to have zero curiosity and if something is odd or unusual, they typically bail out immediately. When I released the young one, she took off down the hill with it.

Worst case, it is unlikely the fox would have caught more than one or two little ones- hard to hunt with your mouth full and the fox isn't likely to drop one it's already caught (...a bird in hand...).

Old 04-26-2019, 11:23 AM   #3
WebSlave
Actually I was down there not long after those video clips were captured and she was making all kinds of racket and keeping an eye on me. I actually heard her long before I saw her. So possibly the fox took off when I showed up. I have several clips of the foxes (there are at least two of them I have seen together) running around at night. Heck, if they are helping to keep the squirrel population down, I'm not about to make them feel unwelcome. Between the foxes, the hawks, the owls, and me with my Savage A17, maybe I won't have as many bamboo shoots tore up this year.

Anyway, at the time I didn't know there were little ones around, but thought it strange that this turkey was alone and being so noisy. Normally we see them in groups passing through the property, and they are as silent as shadows.

We seem to have a pretty healthy population of them around here, and I'm sure they see us much more often than we see them.

Old 04-26-2019, 05:11 PM   #4
Socratic Monologue
Lots of yard-destroying turkeys here, too. Can't use a rifle for hunting them in WI; shotgun and bow only, as far as I know. I tried bowhunting them once, during the fall season. I'd starve if that was my food source, that's for sure.

Old 07-13-2020, 11:18 PM   #5
williamsieber
Last year we went for the hunt for these. They are smart and not easy to hunt

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!