MEALWORM SHORTAGE!!! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 06-09-2008, 07:57 PM   #1
Golden Gate Geckos
MEALWORM SHORTAGE!!!

Boy, we are in deep doo-doo! We are in a national crisis with the mealworm shortage... time to look at alternative feeding solutions. Can any of you bug suppliers help us gecko breeders out??? Incentives? Price deals?

Old 06-09-2008, 10:37 PM   #2
Lucille
Marcia, I grew a substantial number of mealworms on tubs of bran for a while, it takes a few months to get an operation going but with a small amount of initial expense and effort, you could have a mealworm ranch yourself.

Old 06-09-2008, 11:54 PM   #3
KelliH
When you have to raise enough mealworms to feed hundreds of leopard geckos, you spend just as much time dealing with the bugs as you do leos. It becomes counterproductive and it gets really old. I know because I did it for a few years. I think I'm just gonna switch back to crickets for awhile, they are more nutritious anyway. I just can't stand cleaning the cricket bin out every day *gag*/

Old 06-10-2008, 11:15 AM   #4
Golden Gate Geckos
Quote:
it takes a few months to get an operation going but with a small amount of initial expense and effort, you could have a mealworm ranch yourself.
Kelli is right. I go through over 14,000 feeders a week, and just don't have the space or time to raise my own feeders to be able to supply the number of geckos I have to feed...

Old 06-10-2008, 11:39 AM   #5
TripleMoonsExotic
Why not switch to roaches?
I know of quite a few who have had great success with geckos and roaches.

Old 06-10-2008, 11:48 AM   #6
KelliH
I tried feeding my geckos roaches but the problem was only about half of them would eat them. Same thing with silkworms. Nearly all of my adults love superworms though, so they will mostly be getting those. The younguns will have to be fed crickets for awhile. Not that they will mind, every gecko I have ever owned goes nuts for a cricket.

Old 06-10-2008, 11:57 AM   #7
dprince
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelliH
I tried feeding my geckos roaches but the problem was only about half of them would eat them. Same thing with silkworms. Nearly all of my adults love superworms though, so they will mostly be getting those. The younguns will have to be fed crickets for awhile. Not that they will mind, every gecko I have ever owned goes nuts for a cricket.
That's what I'm going to be doing too, Kelli. I just ordered 4,000 supers, and I still have a few mealies for the babies (until I run out) and I still have crickets. Icky crickets............. Man, this shortage sucks.

And I tried to do the roach thing, but they creeped me out WAY to badly.

Old 06-10-2008, 12:07 PM   #8
KelliH
LOL they creep me out also, especially when they flap their wings... ughhh... makes me nauseous!

Old 06-10-2008, 03:07 PM   #9
Lucille
So why is there a mealworm shortage?

Old 06-10-2008, 09:30 PM   #10
KelliH
I've heard a couple of different reasons but I still don't really understand why.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!