MEALWORM SHORTAGE!!! - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 06-11-2008, 08:46 AM   #11
sschind
Gahnn's had them this week but they weren't shipping them because it was to hot. At least that is what they told me.

Old 06-12-2008, 02:03 PM   #12
Golden Gate Geckos
Quote:
So why is there a mealworm shortage?
Apparently, the bedding/feed used to cultivate the mealworms was either tainted with insecticide, or toxic mold which caused massive die-offs and eggs not to hatch. I guess the majority of mealworm growers use the same material and/or the same supplier. It is a nationwide shortage, and I was told it will likely continue throughout the entire season.

This is REALLY a catastrophic problem for many of us gecko breeders, as mealworms are the staple food we use. Going back to crickets will double my food costs, and triple the time it takes to feed my geckos. Not to mention, when I used to feed primarily crickets in the past, I had more problems with bacterial infections in my geckos.

Quote:
Why not switch to roaches?
Buying bulk roaches is VERY expensive, and it would make sense for keepers with smaller gecko colonies to cultivate their own roach colonies. However, I would need to produce 10-14K roaches per week to feed all my geckos, which in essence would make me a roach breeder as well!

For example, here are is a price quote from a roach supplier:

200 = $18.00 (.09 cents ea.)
300 = $24.00 (.08 cents ea.)
400 = $28.00 (.07 cents ea.)
500 = $30.00 (.06 cents ea.)
600 = $30.00 (.05 cents ea.)
700 = $31.50 (.045 cents ea.)
800 = $34.00 (.0425 cents ea.)
900 = $36.00 (.04 cents ea.)
1000= $35.00 (.035 cents ea.)

With mealworms, I can get 10,000 for $35.00!!!

Old 06-12-2008, 02:37 PM   #13
Lucille
So the option seem to be paying twice what you usually pay for feeders by buying crickets, or growing your own roaches/mealworms.

Can geckos eat non live food in a pinch, like the bearded dragon food they sell dry?

Can a gecko consortium of owners get together and find someone who will gear up and raise roaches/mealworms for them exclusively?

What about individual breeders hiring someone local who has time to raise for them? The economy is not doing well, and a person who has additional income like a retired person on a pension who does odd jobs for extra money might welcome a job like this, raising bugs, where they could do it at home except for weekly deliveries to you.

Old 06-12-2008, 04:14 PM   #14
WingedWolf
While it's true you can get 10,000 mealies for $35, you should take into consideration that it takes 1 lobster roach to equal maybe 10 mealies (or more). Which means the value as a feeder per weight really is not that different, if you're feeding adult animals. It wouldn't be as nice if you were feeding babies, though.

Lobsters make great feeders, but yes, they do get loose and will take over a home if you're not careful. Dryness keeps them at bay, but just insures they join you in the shower. *shudder*

Anyhow, I don't think you'd find the cost too astronomical for your adults. If it comes down to it in a pinch, lobsters are appalling to work with, but the geckos have no problems with eating them (at least mine didn't). They're cleaner, but a bit creepier, than crickets. And they fly, but only a loud flutter in a downward direction, they're bad at it.

Check the size of the roaches--an adult leo with strong jaws takes great enjoyment in crunching up a big bug nearly the size of its head, and they can be cost effective on that scale. There may be a less problematic species than the lobsters.

Are the zophobas doing as badly as the mealies? Smaller zophobas could work, too, if they somehow escaped the same problems that befell the mealies.

Old 06-12-2008, 05:56 PM   #15
Casey Hulse
my supplier told me mealworms will not be avail. for at least 3 more weeks.

Old 06-12-2008, 09:22 PM   #16
Golden Gate Geckos
Donna, the problem is that we breeders need the feeders NOW. We don't have the time to start from scratch raising our own feeder supply, even if we could. I have grown accustomed to having 'standing orders' with my suppliers that just ship me 10 - 12,000 large and 2,000 small mealworms per week and having my GGG business Mastercard charged... for well over 10 years! I know this sounds like I am 'spoiled', but I am.

I have babies hatching daily, and they need small mealies. I have juvies that need medium-sized mealworms. The adults are easier to deal with because some will eat large mealworms, giants, or superworms. Some will eat roaches.. others not. Some will eat silkworms, others not. They ALL will eat mealworms!

I have NOTHING to feed my babies! I am having to order 2 week old crickets at $.01 each and pull the back legs off of them so my hatchlings/babies can eat! This means 12-16 hour days, 7 days a week... which I will do, but I may even need to hire part-time help in order to care for my geckos the way they need to be cared for!

So this season will be a financial loss for Golden Gate Geckos due to the increased cost of alternative feeders, and having to hire someone to clean and water while I pull off cricket legs. This doesn't even account for the extra 2-6 hours a day in labor time for me.

It SUCKS being a gecko breeder right now.

Old 06-12-2008, 09:57 PM   #17
Mooing Tricycle
Alright, I can try to see if my local pet store dealer can get mealies in from somewhere local, If he can 100% positively get them in, i can give you guys the phone number and you can place orders through him.

I dunno... this might be a long shot, but i suppose its worth a shot for me to see what i can find. Ill give em a call tomorrow, see what the orders are that he can get, and let you all know. If there isnt a WHOLE lot of you, maybe, just maybe he can help fufill at least a small portion of the demand.

Has anyone tried bait shops and such places? Mealies make great bait, and i know im ordering them for the station for fishing. Not sure if they are safe that way... but, if they are, its worth a shot.

Im sure the shortage is everywhere, but ill look. *crosses fingers for self*

Old 06-13-2008, 05:02 PM   #18
Golden Gate Geckos
We have lots of bait shops around where I live. A container of 35 large mealworms costs $3.49, which comes to $.09/each. I need a minimum of 8,000 mealworms, which would cost me $797.71 per week to feed my geckos.

Old 06-13-2008, 05:37 PM   #19
Mooing Tricycle
I talked to the store, they have meal worms now, they can get the large ones, but not in enough numbers to sustain even one of your guys's collections

I just got some large ones in as bait for the garage... from one of our "everything" suppliers.

Im sorry this is taking such a toll on everyone!! Its too bad that this had to happen... hopefully though, things will recover soon! It was worth it to take a stab at calling though, even finding one supplier would have made me feel a little better.

Old 06-13-2008, 07:50 PM   #20
TripleMoonsExotic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Gate Geckos
200 = $18.00 (.09 cents ea.)
300 = $24.00 (.08 cents ea.)
400 = $28.00 (.07 cents ea.)
500 = $30.00 (.06 cents ea.)
600 = $30.00 (.05 cents ea.)
700 = $31.50 (.045 cents ea.)
800 = $34.00 (.0425 cents ea.)
900 = $36.00 (.04 cents ea.)
1000= $35.00 (.035 cents ea.)
I'm pretty sure that's a lot higher then what was paid elsewhere. Let me find out where they got their roaches from and I'll let you know. It's an option at least. As WingedWolf said, it takes more mealworms to equal one roach, so that does need to be taken into consideration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Gate Geckos
With mealworms, I can get 10,000 for $35.00!!!
Yes, I understand that...But the point is your not getting those 10,000 for $35. It stinks, but the geckos have to eat so you do have to search for an alternative solution.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!