Too many ads - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 06-05-2008, 08:37 PM   #1
rtbdragons
Too many ads

Can anything be done about 1 person having his ads mostly filling up the first 5 pages ( and thats as far as I looked ). It gets boring and like I said I gave up at the 5th page. It is ninthof9 under bearded dragons. Sorry and thanks

Old 06-05-2008, 08:42 PM   #2
Dennis Hultman
Your thread has been moved off the BOI and to the feedback forum.

Please read from post #22 in this thread.
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...d.php?t=102321

Old 06-06-2008, 12:08 AM   #3
Golden Gate Geckos
Several of us have posted threads regarding a few members that monopolize the classifieds. It fell on deaf ears, and those few continue to monopolize the classifieds.

Old 06-06-2008, 12:40 AM   #4
Cat_72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Gate Geckos
Several of us have posted threads regarding a few members that monopolize the classifieds. It fell on deaf ears, and those few continue to monopolize the classifieds.
You took the words right out of my mouth....or off from my keyboard, as the case may be.

Old 06-06-2008, 01:09 AM   #5
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Gate Geckos
ARRGHHH!! Thanks for the barb between the ribs, ie: "deaf ears".

Sorry to disagree, but those previous arguments were not ignored, which I believe the evidence of which still exists in this forum. The arguments were rejected as being weak and without merit. Furthermore, I am not about to put myself in the position of protecting the unambitious from the ambitious when it comes to their business practices and their desire to use the resources at their disposal to the fullest in order to be competitive in the marketplace. This is a FREE resource (after being soundly trounced trying to limit classified posting to paid members only, no less), in which anyone can post as MANY ads as they wish without restriction.

But thank you for trying to keep the best interests of this site at heart. It is really appreciated.

Old 06-06-2008, 01:56 AM   #6
Cat_72
Rich, the "deaf ears", at least in my sight, were the ears of those that were posting the whole slew of ads. Not you.

That said, I still find it annoying when someone posts a whole slew of ads and then bumps them multiple times daily, to make sure theirs are well above any other ads posted (some don't have the time to sit here and bump ads multiple times daily, ambition doesn't have a damn thing to do with it)....I'm not sure how that says anything about anyone having or not having the "best interest of the site" in mind.

It is kind of funny though....the thoughts being "rejected weak and without merit", yet keep being repeatedly voiced. Apparently a few people think they have merit.

Old 06-06-2008, 02:42 AM   #7
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat_72
It is kind of funny though....the thoughts being "rejected weak and without merit", yet keep being repeatedly voiced. Apparently a few people think they have merit.
Yes indeed, it is funny in a way. It's what is called a "vocal minority". The operative word being, of course, "minority". There will ALWAYS be a subset of members here who don't like something or other, no matter what it is.

All things considered, I still can't see that the classifieds are needing me to throw MY time, effort and money to "fix" something that is such a molehill, in my opinion.

And push come to shove, I really don't see the classifieds utilized all that overly much where it would be smart to take steps to INHIBIT what traffic some members are already providing there. I'm still hoping it will bounceback from the last ill advised step I took to start charging for people to post classified ads. Which I believe I am justified and giving a resounding "I TOLD YOU SO!" from posts in the past where I plainly stated I thought it was a BAD move, and resisted doing so. But to quell the usual complaints that I don't listen to people nor follow their advice, I decided to go against my own opinion and implement that suggestion anyway. Which pretty nearly KILLED the classifieds completely after about a year of trying it. I posted graphs showing this pretty plainly up in the Clubroom forum if anyone with access is curious to take a look.

So no, I'm not really willing to go against my (hoped for) better judgement in issues any longer that are apparently instigated by a "vocal minority".

But tell you what. How about this? You set up a poll to see how many people are upset about this "problem". I won't even require that you prove that a MAJORITY sees this as an issue. If you can get even 10 percent of the normal 800 or so registered members who log in each day to vote that it does bother them, then I'll put it on the plate to look at after the site gets that long awaited upgrade. Assuming, of course, that the upgrade doesn't drain the pocketbook too badly... If even a minimum of 80 registered members aren't concerned, then I'm afraid that I certainly cannot see any reason to waste my resources in the pursuit of satisfying such a minor issue as this.

Oh, and I also will want to place a wager about how quickly an implementation of a "fix" generates its own set of complaints from yet another "vocal minority"....

Old 06-06-2008, 06:19 AM   #8
Cat_72
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave
All things considered, I still can't see that the classifieds are needing me to throw MY time, effort and money to "fix" something that is such a molehill, in my opinion.
Rich, I will reiterate....I was NOT addressing you, nor expecting you to "fix" ANYTHING. Why the heck should I set up a poll about something I haven't even asked for nor wanted you to change?

Quote:
Rich, the "deaf ears", at least in my sight, were the ears of those that were posting the whole slew of ads. Not you.
I only commented on the "weak and without merit" statement because even if it is a minority of folks who feel this way or speak up about it, it does not mean that the thought is without merit. It obviously has SOME amount of merit, perhaps not to you...but to some.

I also found it a bit offensive that you would state that people were griping about it because they didn't have the "ambition" to come in and bump their ads several times a day...I would have thought you of all folks would realize that many simply do not have time to do so. But of course, I'm sure that idea is without merit as well.

Old 06-06-2008, 07:25 AM   #9
Lucille
I suggested on another thread that the bumpees get together and form a block of ads. In collusion, they could take turns bumping their block.
Creative ways to compete for customer attention in a tight market generally benefit the customer. I think a lot of work on the Faunaclassified classified by both readers and advertisers would be good for everyone to make it the kind of place that one would want to look at often. I went to the amphibiam classified to look the other day and less than half of the recent ads were for amphibians. Customers, if motivated enough, can send notes to sellers about their ads.
The idea of colluding to prevent advertising monopoly is something sellers could try and would seem to take care of the problem.

Old 06-06-2008, 11:50 AM   #10
WebSlave
Quote:
Rich, I will reiterate....I was NOT addressing you, nor expecting you to "fix" ANYTHING. Why the heck should I set up a poll about something I haven't even asked for nor wanted you to change?

I only commented on the "weak and without merit" statement because even if it is a minority of folks who feel this way or speak up about it, it does not mean that the thought is without merit. It obviously has SOME amount of merit, perhaps not to you...but to some.

I also found it a bit offensive that you would state that people were griping about it because they didn't have the "ambition" to come in and bump their ads several times a day...I would have thought you of all folks would realize that many simply do not have time to do so. But of course, I'm sure that idea is without merit as well.
Perhaps you need to re-read the opening post for this thread and tell me who it is being implied that should "do something" about this issue. Who else WOULD this thread be addressing? If not the person or persons managing this site, then who?

If your (and Marcia's) replies were addressing the persons responsible for the supposed problem then wouldn't it be more appropriate to directly address the persons being complained about rather than posting such replies in a thread in which you are saying does not have the same target audience as your own posts? Sorry if I don't follow the logic of what you are saying, and have assumed that replies in this thread had remained on topic.

So be that as it may, I believe my assumption, was a logical result of reasonable interpretation of the opening post in this thread, and the belief that the replies were likely on topic and directed at management of this site.

And as for the "ambition" comment, this is in reference the the other thread in this forum where from the later posts it is obvious to me that certainly some people would rather ME do something about the problem rather than coming up with their own solution to handle their competition in this marketplace. An ambitious person wouldn't come to me wanting me to do something about their competition. Someone IS ambitious and posting a lot of ads. Someone else apparently is not, and resents this ambitious person. Personally I don't care to reward someone for not being ambitious by dinging the ones who are ambitious.

I really have no intention of losing any sleep over yet someone else not liking something on this site and complaining about something so frivolous. Big friggin' deal. Someone posts more ads than someone else wants to.....

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!