WC ticks. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-13-2013, 08:39 PM   #1
dcondie
WC ticks.

I recently purchased a WC gravid female. She laid 9 eggs last night or the night before. I can't see any of the eggs when i look into her enclosure but you can from the bottom. I also noticed several large ticks on the bottom of the enclosure. I've done some reading and although my wife and I are little worried I know it's nothing to panic over. I plan on removing the female and her eggs then completely inspecting the her and then cleaning the enclosure. if I've touched the eggs though will she still incubate them and should the ticks worry me perhaps more than i am?

Old 03-14-2013, 12:50 AM   #2
ClarkT
I don't know if she'll continue to incubate them after you remove her from them. Before you do that, I would suggest you get an incubator up and ready to take over in the case that she won't.

Provent-a-mite works for ticks, too. I have a WC volta that laid eggs, too. Gotta love provent-a mite.

Old 03-20-2013, 03:15 PM   #3
NIGRO51
How did this turn out?

Reptile releif works well on ticks also.

Old 03-20-2013, 04:45 PM   #4
dcondie
Not well. we got everything cleaned up and the female did return to the eggs but i think that kinda put my wife over the edge. she wants the snakes sold. so not sure if she's just unnerved or if it's a permenant thing but having african ticks in the house with our small kids really freaked her out. so we'll see what the future holds.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:07 PM   #5
Amelanistic Orca
For future reference... Pay handsomely with a well known individual the next go round. This is ever present dealing with Flippers and WC's. It just ain't worth it!

I sometimes sit and wonder how many more young people we would acquire on the BP front, if damn PetCo/Smart would just get good USCBB babies to sell instead of these $4.32 junkers in from the 'Mother Land.'

Everybody that gets one there, goes home to watch it die without eating and a belly loaded with Parasite's. Oh well! Someday, right? I'm a steady dreamer sometimes...

Old 03-20-2013, 07:07 PM   #6
dcondie
i bought her from josh at outback reptiles. and he won't return my calls. i'm not mad and i'm not asking for a refund. i would have just liked some support. no hard feeling for him though.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:35 PM   #7
Focal
Man, that's a bummer about the ticks and the impression it left. Maybe you can convince her to at least keep the babies if you make an incubator.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:34 AM   #8
stevek123
Ticks are nothing to be worried about. Especially african ticks on a BP. I'd be more concerned about our local deer ticks personally. Your wife is WAY over reacting.

Old 04-04-2013, 01:18 AM   #9
ClarkT
Provent a mite will take care of them. Mine had ticks, too, but they're gone, now...at least I haven't seen any more in over a month. We'll see over the next while.

Did you get your eggs successfully into an incubator?

Old 04-04-2013, 01:22 PM   #10
Shadera
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek123 View Post
Your wife is WAY over reacting.
I wouldn't necessarily say that. I can't think of many women who wouldn't be completely disgusted at the thought of ticks crawling around in the house, whether they're host-specific or not. That's just gross.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!