housing - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Hognose Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-24-2004, 12:36 PM   #1
JON TOWNSEND
housing

Can a young pair 1.1 be put together in a 10 gal tank?

Old 06-24-2004, 03:25 PM   #2
DavidBeard
Its a general rule with snakes that they should be housed seperately unless you are breeding them.

I house my hognoses in sterilite shoeboxes in a rack system. I think a 10 gallon would be fine for one snake, but it would be alot of room.

Old 06-24-2004, 09:49 PM   #3
Glenn Bartley
I have housed a pair of Western Hognose snakes together in a tank for almost three years now with no problems, although I readily admit they will eat other snakes and I have witnessed them do so. In fact I have kept a pair of Desert Kingsnakes together, now for almost 8 years, and they do not try to eat one another even when very hungry. Go figure, I have seen others that would readily devour their own kind without hesitation.

According to many, you may always take somewhat of a chance housing them together but I have had no problems with mine except once or twice when feeding them together and they grabbed the same mouse. You have to be careful of that so I now feed them out of the cage one at a time, then place them back together as soon as they have finished. I am not suggesting that you do it my way, just letting you know how I do it.

I have seen snakes kept in communal settings at zoos and other institutions without problems and figured I would give it a try. It works for me but you may not have the same results. Bear in mind though, that as I noted earlier, Western Hognose are noted snake eaters.
All the best,
Glenn B

Old 06-26-2004, 09:56 PM   #4
JON TOWNSEND
housing

FYI, I placed some plastic plants that I had leftover from a fish tank. It's unbelievable the change in Freddy, the crimson. He used to stay onder a water bowl or in a paper towel tube. now he spend 90% of his time power lounging under the fake foliage ,really chilled him out I read that the more time a corn spends not hiding reflects that all is good for them. I will try to post a pic tomorrow

Old 07-04-2004, 08:59 PM   #5
Hognose_311
RE: Housing

Hognose snakes can withstand rather small spaces, but depending on how long, and including another snake, im not sure. They can live healthy, and from my knowledge, happy. As you know since you have two, they are pretty slow snakes, so they dont move much.

They do not climb too often either, so they may not be bothered by a small tank, but i would seperate them unless you are breeding the pair, and maybe put each one in a 10 gallon tank. 10 gallon tanks you can get for as cheap as $13.00. But i would suggest seperation.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!