Sexing Prehensile Tailed Skinks - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Skinks & Tegus Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-20-2006, 02:30 PM   #11
Kisha
Wow, how did you get so lucky! A trade is absolutely something I would want to pursue. The big twin could be ready to go anytime, but the other will need a bit of time to put some weight back on before I stress him out with new cage mates. I agree absolutely about keeping them in breeding groups. Lets talk more about this.
What you have said about alfredschmidti in the other post would certainly explain a few things about these 2. Not just the skin problems with the one, but the other is horribly aggressive compared to my others- he lunges and comes after you if you go into his cage and will climb out after you if you don't get the door shut in time! Thanks for your opinions about the sexes, I think I might be getting better. I'm also glad we can discuss these things in a public forum, more info for everyone else who may have the same questions.

Old 06-20-2006, 04:21 PM   #12
Sherri - LCRC
I'm so glad about discussing this too & really happy that you came on the scene when you did. It's breathing new life into things & hopefully we all can learn on behalf of our animals. We owe them that! Yes, we can talk trades but maybe privately. First & foremost, we need to get your boy up & going but i'm with you.. all of what we've discussed might be the answer to why he has not been thriving. I really, really am thrilled for you about the twins being alfredschmidti because they are soooo very rare & this has been an excellent way to bring this topic to everyones attention.

Thanks again,

Sherri

Old 11-25-2006, 04:15 PM   #13
johelian
Sorry to drag up an old thread, but please could someone post pictures of a "typical" body build for male/female? The pics in the thread dont seem to be working any more.

Old 11-25-2006, 05:34 PM   #14
johelian
Or how about this - Please could someone give me an educated guess as to what sex these two are?

Old 11-26-2006, 01:41 AM   #15
jrbl
The first picture looks like a female by the heavy build of its body. I would like to use something called the C/A Biometric ratio to determine the sex, but it is a little difficult to determine as the picture is at a bad angle. This ratio is of the width of the head divided by the widest girth of the body. It is not 100% accurate, but it is good as a general guide. A picture like to second skink is much easier to determine sex from. The second appears female. It does look somewhat skinny in the pelvic/lower abdomen region, so you might want to have that checked out. jrbl

Old 11-26-2006, 03:29 AM   #16
johelian
Thanks for the reply.

The first is the aggressive one, so it was harder to keep her out for a photo I will try again, although I too would have guessed female. The second was a little harder for me to determine, but I guess it looks like I have 2 females. Great. Guess Id better start looking for a male...

The second one is a bit thin on the hips and tail, and this is a concern to me so she will be going to the vet. Over the week I have had her though she has been eating like a pig so hopefully thats all she needed, but a check over should clear things up. Is it possible also to have them DNA tested? Or do you think its not worth it?

Old 12-01-2006, 02:20 PM   #17
seishin
If you have several and can compare them (and know what to look for...) the males generally have larger, "blockier" or "chunkier" heads than the females. Whereas the females sometimes look a bit "pinheaded" in comparison. Also, the females almost always have a "pear-shaped" body (when viewed from the top): narrower just behind the front legs, and bulging out toward the back legs, while the males are usually "straighter" (more uniformly cylindrical their entire length). But sometimes it's hard to tell -- I have one juvenile that I think is about 3 or 4 years old that I *still* am not sure about ('though I'm starting to lean toward "female")...

-- C

Old 01-24-2007, 03:07 PM   #18
seishin
Here is my crude attempt to illustrate the differences between a male and female Corucia. This picture shows the outline of an adult female and male, as viewed from the top. Note that the differences are exaggerated in this illustration, and that individual Corucia may vary.

This doesn't apply to juveniles, although some of us who have kept a lot of Corucia *think* we can tell (with some reliability) based on head shape, but it's far from foolproof.

From what I've observed, there is no apparent difference in tail taper (which is usually helpful in sexing snakes). However, I am working on a theory that there *may* be some discernable difference in vent "contour" (i.e., the shape of the vent area fore and aft of the opening, as viewed from the side). Will let you know if I figure anything out in this "area".

I hope this helps some people.

-- Celeste
Attached Images

Old 01-24-2007, 03:46 PM   #19
johelian
Thanks Celeste. Im getting really confused with some I see still - for example, one of my females has a big bulky head with large bulges behind eyes, but she has a pear shaped body..! I spoke to someone else that said hemipenal bulges may be visible at times, can anyone clarify this?

Old 01-25-2007, 05:46 PM   #20
seishin
That "hemipenal bulge" may be the "vent area contour" I was referring to. It *seems* to me that (again, sometimes), the male vent area has a recognizable bulge aft of the vent opening, while the female vent area tapers more immediately aft of the vent opening (sort of like in snakes). But I haven't been able to observe enough to be sure, which is why I say it's just a "theory" right now.

Also, the head bulges seem to be more pronounced in Cza's, so female Cza's can resemble male Czz's... (While a male Cza is unmistakeably male!)

Sherri says it's not safe to probe these guys. Philippe de Vosjoli's book show a technique for everting the male hemipenes. But if done improperly it can cause serious crushing trauma... :-L

So far, I've had a high enough success rate with the head/body shape comparison shown in the picture that I haven't messed with any other techniques (I've sexed 15 out of 17 definitively, and have 4 established breeding groups to prove it). But I still have one adult Czz that I haven't been able to sex for sure yet (he or she is housed with three definite females), and one baby I think is female but I'm not *positive* about yet (and that one I don't really have to worry about for a couple more years).

-- Celeste

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!