Disturbing...... - Page 13 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-12-2005, 02:28 PM   #121
montezuma
CAUTION... Very Disturbing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablohogs
i.m.o. that should have been the fate of them all.
some were a bit too large for him... as in the one pic'ed below. As you see, this one was a double whammy... sever eye deformity (practically non-existant) and "turnip" tail. She was one I received. She weighs around 48 grams... Sorry about the color, didn't do any cleanup!

Old 04-12-2005, 02:32 PM   #122
weswright
Poor thing, and they were breeding this one!?

Old 04-12-2005, 02:42 PM   #123
diablohogs
Quote:
and they were breeding this one!?
thats what im saying! how pissed were you when you got that one? how many gecko did you recieve from them and how many were deformed?

Old 04-12-2005, 03:21 PM   #124
montezuma
This one was not in a breeding colony but the colony in which she came from was still together. I estimate there were 250 Leopard geckos I got from them of which this "ordeal" took up roughly 20 of them not to mention the ones that were from this group that were bred the following season when it dawned on me to look at the Breeding Group ##'s and the previous years offspring.

Old 04-12-2005, 03:28 PM   #125
Bringerofdoom
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelliH
Some of the big leo breeders seem to have something against introducing new blood and outcrossing. One of them actually asked me "why in the world I would want to flush 20 years of selective breeding down the toilet" by introducing an unrelated bloodline to his line.
Hmmmm i almost wonder who you area talking about here....

Inbreeding a gen might be ok, but not constantly. I myself will always be getting new blood to help diversify my gene pool.

I will share some knowledge i have learned from inbreeding. I used to know someone who inbred poodles. The first 2 gens came out alright, but stubborn and sometimes snappy and scared. The 3rd and 4th gens would just be stupid and mean. The 5th generation had shown some minor defects. The 6th gen, was starting to show major deformities (mainly spinal and leg), to the point that euthenisation was the only answer.

People will probably argue with me, but i notice a similar trend with reptiles too. Being that linebred and others seem more skittish and meaner the further down the line they are in generations. Kinked tails being the tell tale sign that you are exceeding the inbreeding limits. I think 2 severe kinked tails breeding could result in severe body deformities, OR just other deformities (knobtail leopards for exaple). Alot of people will never know, because morals will stop that from happening.

Old 04-12-2005, 04:36 PM   #126
riverjop
Have you seen this? there is a thread in the Gecko section of fauna
http://forums.kingsnake.com/view.php?id=760752,760752
I know robin was especially fond of it!

Old 04-12-2005, 04:53 PM   #127
montezuma
Ok, I am missing it(I think)... what are we looking at? The fact that the Crested has the coloration of a Chahoua?

Old 04-12-2005, 05:14 PM   #128
Xavier
a Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by montezuma
Ok, I am missing it(I think)... what are we looking at? The fact that the Crested has the coloration of a Chahoua?
and yes you got both species right

Old 04-12-2005, 05:17 PM   #129
montezuma
Alright... thats what I thought but thought there was something else I was missing. I thought it may have been a page from the "Where's Waldo" book from the local dentists office!

Old 04-12-2005, 07:05 PM   #130
robin d.
Quote:
Have you seen this? there is a thread in the Gecko section of fauna
http://forums.kingsnake.com/view.php?id=760752,760752
I know robin was especially fond of it!
i cant post on kingsnake or trust me i would

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!