4" Turtle Ban Lifted! - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > General Legislative Discussions

Notices

General Legislative Discussions Any general discussion concerning legislative issues or events. Not necessarily specific to a particular region, or even a type of animal group.

Old 08-27-2007, 03:24 PM   #21
droogievesch
I would have to look back at the law, but I believe the bill only mentioned the sale of baby turtles, and not the purchasing or ownership. There was also another loop hole about being a hobbyist vs. a breeder. So if I had a pair and they had eggs I was allowed to sell the babies as long as I wasn't a business. The law targeted wholesalers and petstore where the conditions were not ideal and salmonella would be a threat. Like any law though it was open for interpretation, all I know was I was told I was fine and I didn't need to worry about it. If I had 50 or so in a small tub she may have had a different tone though.

Old 08-27-2007, 05:03 PM   #22
KCRD.com
Here's another issue that was brought up....

I was questioned at a show recently if the change in the law included baby tortoises, and the answer is, yes. The law specifically mentions turtles, however tortoises technically fall under the family of turtles. Often this is confused in that people classify terrapins as turtles, when in fact turtles are the family that terrapins and tortoises both belong to. That is why you hear the term "water turtle" and "land turtle" often used.

Old 08-27-2007, 05:06 PM   #23
ExoticsExpress
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCRD.com
I was questioned at a show recently if the change in the law included baby tortoises, and the answer is, yes. The law specifically mentions turtles, however tortoises technically fall under the family of turtles. Often this is confused in that people classify terrapins as turtles, when in fact turtles are the family that terrapins and tortoises both belong to. That is why you hear the term "water turtle" and "land turtle" often used.
Great to hear!

Anthony Allis
ExoticsExpress@aol.com

Old 08-27-2007, 05:43 PM   #24
romad119
The law should cover all chelonians.

Old 08-27-2007, 05:45 PM   #25
Seamus Haley
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCRD.com
I had typed out a complete breakdown of turtle taxonomy. It took about fifteen minutes and went down the list starting with the Kingdom.

Then Fauna decided to eat it, give me a "cannot find the site" error when I posted the reply and cause me to start punching my desk (Note: Desk is denser than knuckle bones. Ouch.)

The whole point of writing it out though was to provide a complete and detailed explaination of the difference between the taxonomic levels of Family and Order and point out that you had misused one of them. And to then illustrate exactly what the taxonomic relationship between them all was.

If anyone actually cares, I can rewrite it. If nobody needs to see it that badly or everyone realizes they can just find it on their own, then I'll stick with my point of "Please quit using the word family as a substitute for the word order. They are not synonyms. (phrased in a long winded manner that includes strong undertones of "neener neener neener, I'm smarter than you are")"

Old 08-27-2007, 05:55 PM   #26
RJBILBY
Tortoise

Isn't the catch to selling all turtles and tortoises going to be the part that states:
(1) the turtle is raised, shipped, and sold using methods proven to keep the turtle free of salmonella, using salmonella safety standards comparable to standards for other animals allowed for sale as pets or animal products allowed for sale as food products; (2) the FDA has approved a plan submitted by the turtle farmer or seller relating to compliance with this Act;
I know a lot of the big farmers in Louisiana have set up treatment facilities for their turtle farms, mainly red ear sliders, but how many other turtle and tortoise (especially) breeders are going to set up these facilities and meet the FDA plans? They treat these eggs from the day their laid and this is the biggest reason this law was introduced.

Old 08-27-2007, 06:12 PM   #27
KCRD.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus Haley
I had typed out a complete breakdown of turtle taxonomy. It took about fifteen minutes and went down the list starting with the Kingdom.

Then Fauna decided to eat it, give me a "cannot find the site" error when I posted the reply and cause me to start punching my desk (Note: Desk is denser than knuckle bones. Ouch.)

The whole point of writing it out though was to provide a complete and detailed explaination of the difference between the taxonomic levels of Family and Order and point out that you had misused one of them. And to then illustrate exactly what the taxonomic relationship between them all was.

If anyone actually cares, I can rewrite it. If nobody needs to see it that badly or everyone realizes they can just find it on their own, then I'll stick with my point of "Please quit using the word family as a substitute for the word order. They are not synonyms. (phrased in a long winded manner that includes strong undertones of "neener neener neener, I'm smarter than you are")"

Uhh, okay.

Old 09-18-2007, 12:03 PM   #28
jfarah
So is it illegal for me to order some baby turtles online and sell them at a local reptile show here in Colorado?

Old 09-18-2007, 12:23 PM   #29
KCRD.com
It is only illegal if you are selling native species, or if you are selling babies with out a sign that says they are for educational or scientific purposes only, or if your city has a blanket ban on them in general.

Old 09-26-2007, 01:46 AM   #30
elect
Depending on what state you’re in; the above listed sign is good for nothing (educational or scientific purposes only). The FDA photographed my sign and took my signature sheet after an undercover agent purchased one of each species.
They then confiscated all of my babies and fined me $1000.00 (thank god not per turtle because I had 100’s of them).
Heres the deal, the law has not fully passed yet (only the senate and not the house) but the FDA is on a stand by which means you may buy, sell, or posses turtles under a 4” carapace at this time.
I believe if Pet-Co is carrying them then it must be ok but what state is the Pet-Co in because Florida and California both have ignored this law for years, not only in the pet trade but pet stores as well, in Florida you can walk into any pet store and find baby turtles for sale…

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!