Best state for Herp Laws - Page 6 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > General Legislative Discussions

Notices

General Legislative Discussions Any general discussion concerning legislative issues or events. Not necessarily specific to a particular region, or even a type of animal group.

Old 01-16-2010, 12:53 PM   #51
cbcreations
Washington Law

As far as venomous goes, they are now consider prohibited, you can no longer own or possess them. You can not get a permit to keep them, they are now off limits, unless you are considered exempt, AZA, refuge, rehabilitation center, etc.

Old 01-16-2010, 08:47 PM   #52
JakesHerps
Our laws here in Indiana are excellent...

Venomous reptiles require a permit for each individual. When obtaining the permit a certified person will come and look at the living arrangements.

No restrictions on non-native herps. (One exception: crocodilians over 6 ft. in length require a permit.)

Native herps may be collected (there are bag limits) but not bought or sold (or traded), with the exception of color morphs. That excludes threatened or endangered herps. In which case, a permit can be obtained.

After hearing about other state's I think we have it best. The state is willing to work with us while making it very unlikely that irresponsible people will obtain dangerous animals.

And I doubt these regulations are likely to change...

Old 01-17-2010, 12:37 PM   #53
Abish
Quote:
Originally Posted by TailsWithScales View Post

Don't choose CA. Horrible laws here and some city laws are even worse then state.

The California county/city laws are what really foul you up.

Old 04-05-2010, 05:41 PM   #54
bear
MICHIGAN is awesome. as far as i know there are no state laws just city ordinances "no constrictors over x feet" that are not enforced at all. i could sell anything in my old store, we had gators, huge snakes, any and all reptiles, except hots and crocs, that was about it.. we did more screening ourselves on customers then animal control did on us.. they just came in every now and then and looked at our stuff. I had a police officer in my house and he noticed my snakes and went into COOL WHATS THAT mode pretty quick, no concern at all for legality. Michigan is a very cool place for reptiles, my neighbors even let there kids come over like they are going to a zoo or something..

mammals are a whole different story though, Animal control is on top of stuff with mammals.

Old 04-06-2010, 10:06 PM   #55
psilocybe
I posted this in the shipping forum, on a thread specifically about New Mexico, but figured it would fit here as well...prepare to be baffled

M's animal laws SUCK, plain and simple. In some ways, they are lenient to keepers (there are no state laws regarding owning native or exotic venomous, with a major caveat, read on), but in other ways, they are so ass backwards it's hardly believable.

Tim is right in that, by the letter of the law, EVERY animal imported into New Mexico, whether it is a native species or not, MUST have a $25 permit accompanying it (the permit has to be applied for by the purchaser prior to importation). Theoretically, this asinine law applies even to crickets purchased over the internet. Now...the question is, just how is this law enforced? Honestly, I don't know. But I'll tell you what I do know.

Technically, almost any animal purchased WITHIN the state of NM is legal (with the exception of crocodilians, lions, tigers, bears, etc., and state protected species, but all non-protected snake species and most other reptiles are completely legal, hot or not). The catch is, you must be able to provide proof (in the form of a sales receipt, breeder documentation, etc.) that the animal ORIGINATED in NM.

Here's the problem with enforcement of the law: Pet stores that sell animals (including mammals, etc.) NEVER mention this to customers. Do you think your average Joe Schmoe who walks into a Petco and buys a ball python for $50 is going to keep that receipt forever, incase NM G&F knocks on his door one day and wants to see documentation? Of course not...the receipt goes in the trash on his way out the door, or at best, after the live animal guarantee runs out.

I think it's fairly safe to say that the vast majority of non-domestic animals kept in the state of NM are being kept illegally, at least by the letter of that stupid law. I can't think of anyone here, whether they keep reptiles or chinchillas, that can provide definitive proof that their animal(s) originated in New Mexico, and that goes for all the pet store purchases that occur daily in this state.

NM F&W realize this, but they fail to do anything to amend the law (such as suggest an amendment in the next legislative session). There are reportedly some diligent herpers here (Bob Ashley) who have been working for quite some time on changing some of these laws in our favor, but the last time I checked (less than a week ago), nothing had changed.

Where NM DOES apparently enforce this (or at least makes a position about it) is with venomous reptiles. Unfortunately, even there, they enforce the law in a manner that is NOT how the law is written.

As written, the law states that ALL venomous snakes (Helodermids are not allowed in NM) IMPORTED into the state of New Mexico must be vet-certified venomoids. The fact that my state even promotes such a practice is embarrassing to me, my personal stance is that I'd rather NOT own venomous than own venomoids. But I digress. The ridiculousness of this law is readily apparent, in several ways. For one, I can order a pair of venomoid black mambas off the internet, legally import them (with a permit of course), and then go right around and breed fully intact, venomous baby black mambas, which would be perfectly legal as they are because they ORIGINATED in the state of NM. Make sense to you?

In addition...I can go and drive 15 minutes from my apartment and capture and legally keep an atrox, viridis, or other native rattlesnake species, and legally keep them INTACT, fully venomous, but if I want an atrox, viridis, or molossus from TEXAS, it has to be a vet-certified venomoid. The ridiculousness of this law is astounding, because it doesn't make any sense, PERIOD.

However, the way the law is enforced unfairly targets venomous keepers, because it goes beyond the scope of the way the law is written. I have it on good word (though I have not experienced this personally), that Game and Fish considers ANY non-native venomous reptile to be illegal, regardless of origin (meaning even if it were bred in the state). Proving origin to them is virtually impossible, because unless G & F are actually sitting there watching black mamba babies hatch from the egg (I suppose one could videotape it, but then they'd just argue it could have been taped anywhere), one can't conclusively PROVE where an animal was born. It's essentially a breeders word against the state. They have effectively banned exotic venomous in this state WITHOUT a law to back it up. Idiocy, I tell you.

Old 05-12-2010, 06:08 PM   #56
Jager the Uro
Pa is the best. i live in nj and cant even buy a freaking turtle.you can at least do that in nY. i drive 45min and i can buy a poisonous snake.

Old 05-12-2010, 06:35 PM   #57
Heart and Soul Reptiles
We are in PA as well and I would have to say it's the best as well. You don't need a permit for anything.. for now, let's not jynx ourselves!

Old 05-13-2010, 12:15 AM   #58
HyderHouseHerps
MS isn't bad either but if you move this far you might as well move on into florida!

Old 05-13-2010, 05:03 PM   #59
kevin c.
Kentucky is not good also. you can't have gators,crocs,primates etc.(unless you purchased them before 7-1-2005. the reason given was for "protection of the public and the owner from dangerous wildlife, to protect the publics safety" now, it has been proven as a scientific FACT that, driving while talking on your'e cell phone is as dangerous as drunk driving, why is it not outlawed as protecting the publics safety since doing this endangers the lives of all citizens who drive! simply put,everyone does it including law enforcement! how hypocritical! so i would go to W.V. PA or S.C.

Old 05-13-2010, 05:33 PM   #60
snowgyre
Georgia is okay, you just can't own any native herps (including the ubiquitous corn snake). You also aren't allowed to own venomous reptiles without a permit, but not many people know about this law because it's not in the pet ownership law, but rather in an injurious and harmful animals clause.

Considering Georgia has the greatest diversity of salamanders in the entire world, and has many endemic and rare herp species, I can understand why they're so protective.

USARK just helped fight a law to ban big snakes as well, so it's still legal to own the big constrictors here. Not sure how long that's going to last though, but Georgia is considerably less liberal (and more suspicious of government in general) than Florida.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!