S373 Amended Today to 9 Large snakes from list - Page 6 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > General Legislative Discussions

Notices

General Legislative Discussions Any general discussion concerning legislative issues or events. Not necessarily specific to a particular region, or even a type of animal group.

Old 12-17-2009, 11:30 PM   #51
Helenthereef
So this is totally new legislation in that it covers the entire country rather than state by state? Can't some legal argument be made out of that? How can a python be more dangerous than a cobra?

Old 12-17-2009, 11:41 PM   #52
Twizted Paths
The tenth amendment covers that, that's why I keep fussing about it and the constitution. Also the Lacey Act wasn't intended to be used by politicians, but by scientists.
Our government does what it wants, it has become a fat bloated hypocritical parasite riding on the backs of the people.

Old 12-17-2009, 11:42 PM   #53
Twizted Paths
And we don't want to use the venomous argument, they'd ban them too.

Old 12-17-2009, 11:53 PM   #54
Helenthereef
Yeah, I guess it's better not to put ideas into their heads. I sympathise.
If you guys want to get out from under, the South Pacific is much less governed..... (or is ungovernable - either way you get left alone pretty much...)

Old 01-22-2010, 04:56 PM   #55
ace9916
this is a response from Senator Feinstein

Dear Mr. Chavarria:

Thank you for writing to express your opposition to legislation that would place large constrictor snakes on the injurious species list. I appreciate your correspondence and welcome the opportunity to respond.

As you know, Senator Bill Nelson (D-FL) introduced S.373 on February 3, 2009. S. 373 and its companion bill in the House of Representatives, H.R. 2811, would amend the Lacey Act (42 U.S.C. w 18) to include constrictor snakes, such as the Burmese Python, as injurious species. Under the Lacey Act, the Secretary of the Interior is authorized to regulate the importation and transport of species determined to be injurious to the health and welfare of humans. Currently, S.373 has been referred to the Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works. Although I do not serve on this Committee, I will keep your opposition to this bill, as well as maintaining a science-based review process, in mind should S.373 or any similar legislation be considered by the Senate.

Once again, thank you for writing. If you have any further questions or comments, please feel free to contact my Washington, D.C. office at (202) 224-3841. Best regards.

Sincerely yours,
Dianne Feinstein
United States Senator

Old 01-23-2010, 11:06 PM   #56
DJderon
Quote:
Originally Posted by repti-racks View Post
Here is the list i found of the 9 added

Indian or Burmese python (Python molurus)
Northern African python (Python sebae)
Southern African python (Python natalensis)
Reticulated python (Python [or Broghammerus] reticulatus)
Boa constrictor (Boa constrictor)
Green anaconda (Eunectes murinus)
Yellow anaconda (Eunectes notaeus)
Beni or Bolivian anaconda (Eunectes beniensis)
De Schauensee's anaconda (Eunectes deschauenseei)
Ya' know....this list alone shows how much the powers that be do not know about the reptile situation. Besides the fact that none of these species could survive very long in the majority of North America let alone flourish and reproduce, to the best of my knowledge there are no E. beniensis or E. deschauenseei in anyone's collections. They are the "mystery" anacondas that no one can manage to get their hands on. It's hardly ever even seen in the wild. It's so scary to think that folks this out of touch with the hobby are the one's holding our fate in their hands.

Everyone in the reptile hobby/industry needs to help and speak out in some way. There are thousands of us, so let our voices be heard! There are many easy to use websites that inform you how to add your voice to the cause. SO DO IT!

And by the way, if you own reptiles but just happen not to own any of the one's listed so you think that this isn't your problem, you'd better think again. This is just the beginning. Your cute little geckos will be next!

Old 02-14-2010, 09:21 PM   #57
oldworldlife
Question quick ?

OK I have ?'s

so is it just the 9 listed

Quote:
Originally Posted by repti-racks
Here is the list i found of the 9 added

Indian or Burmese python (Python molurus)
Northern African python (Python sebae)
Southern African python (Python natalensis)
Reticulated python (Python [or Broghammerus] reticulatus)
Boa constrictor (Boa constrictor)
Green anaconda (Eunectes murinus)
Yellow anaconda (Eunectes notaeus)
Beni or Bolivian anaconda (Eunectes beniensis)
De Schauensee's anaconda (Eunectes deschauenseei)
or

is it all the related species and sub species as well like they listed all the species of anaconda murinus,notaeus,beniensis,etc
but they have only constrictor constrictor listed not all :

Quote:
I believe the way it is written the following boas would be affected..

Quote:
B. c. amarali - Stull, 1932 Amaral's boa Brazil, Bolivia and Paraguay[26]
B. c. constrictor - Linnaeus, 1758 Red-tailed boa South America[26]
B. c. imperator - Daudin, 1803 Common northern boa Central America and northern South America[26]
B. c. longicauda - Price & Russo, 1991 Tumbes Peru boa Northern Peru[26]
B. c. melanogaster - Langhammer, 1983 Ecuadorian boa Ecuador[27]
B. c. nebulosa - (Lazell, 1964) Dominican clouded boa Dominica[26]
B. c. occidentalis - Philippi, 1873 Argentine boa Argentina and Paraguay[26]
B. c. orophias - Linnaeus, 1758 St. Lucia boa St. Lucia[26]
B. c. ortonii - Cope, 1878 Orton's boa South America[26]
B. c. sabogae - (Barbour, 1906) Pearl Island boa "Pearl Islands" off the coast of Panama
So is it 9 or 19+ listed?

Old 02-21-2010, 08:20 AM   #58
kmurphy
If they only list the species name then all sub-species would be included. If they were specific i.e. Boa constrictor constrictor for example then only B.c.c. would be included, and B.c.i and all the other B.c.? would be exempt.

The proposed legislation listed the species name only Boa constrictor.

Old 02-21-2010, 03:38 PM   #59
WingedWolf
They added the rare anacondas deliberately, stating they felt that if people couldn't get the green and yellow, they would find a way to get these rarer species to replace them.

Old 02-24-2010, 02:56 PM   #60
kmarsh
Not trying to throw anyone under the bus but here we go once again with a dog ( sadly pitbull) that has killed a child. BUT notice how differently this is handled versus the one where the snake killed the child in FL. THere will be no national news, no sensationalizing, and already talk of no charges. PLEASE dont get me wrong. I feel for the family and it is a tragic accident to say the least but it is that a accident.
News - Breaking News
Comments (18) | Recommend (2)| Wednesday, Feb. 24, 2010
Ga. infant bitten by dog dies
The Associated Press Sign up for daily e-mail news alerts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buzz up!

Print
Text Size: tool nameclose
tool goes here
CONYERS, Ga. -- The Rockdale County sheriff's office says an infant bitten by the family dog has died in an Atlanta hospital.

The sheriff's office says in a news release that the mother of a 5-day-old baby girl heard the infant crying Thursday and found the dog on top of the bassinet. It says she discovered the dog had bitten her daughter, who was then taken to Rockdale Medical Center.

Link: http://www.citizenonline.net/
The sheriff's office says the infant was airlifted to Children's Healthcare of Atlanta at Egleston where she underwent surgery, but that she died on Tuesday.

Sheriff's office spokeswoman Sgt. Jodi Shupe said the dog is a pit bull breed and is in custody of animal control officials. The news release says no charges are expected.

Information from: The Rockdale Citizen, http://www.citizenonline.net/

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!