Military housing bans exotics - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > General Legislative Discussions

Notices

General Legislative Discussions Any general discussion concerning legislative issues or events. Not necessarily specific to a particular region, or even a type of animal group.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:18 AM   #21
Cryssy
Focal X- I see your point but I disagree, there are already restrictions on specific types of animals. Like dogs for an example, some places you can't own a pitbull or terrier or it can't be over 20lbs, etc... So, I personally don't see why putting specific restrictions on snakes/hamsters/whatever-like say, no burms, or venomous snakes, etc... would be such a hassle if they already make exceptions.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:31 PM   #22
anaconda420
so its ok to give your life for your country but you cant own a reptile? what kind of crap is that...

Old 07-05-2011, 10:47 PM   #23
Ntyvirus
Im in the same boat finding a place( granted I'm not military but still looking for housing nonetheless. I have called multiple "pet friendly" apartments and as soon as i say snake most people crap their pants.

Old 07-06-2011, 01:40 AM   #24
PAVLOVK1025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sariel View Post
Pavlovk: Unfortunatly thats not really a problem solved since we will have to move again in two years, with the houseing market as it is I really have no desire to purchase a home that I will be putting right back on the market.
That's silly. You're right, the housing market sucks...but that means you can get a good property for less money. As soon as you're ready to move, your house becomes your rental property, and rentals never go out of style especially when within the range of a military base. Pick another house up at your next duty station, move, rent it out, etc. Doing it like that will allow you to leave the military with several rental properties.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:19 AM   #25
Focal
Quote:
Originally Posted by anaconda420 View Post
so its ok to give your life for your country but you cant own a reptile? what kind of crap is that...
Sorry but that is no better than someone pulling a race/sex card. It's always a fill in the blank. "You can give your life for your country but you can't (input whatever applies)." When you sign up, you know you are at their mercy and you pledge your allegiance to the service. Expecting otherwise falls on you. No offense to the OP or the military. I've served and there is no other dishonorable thing than trying to pull the military card. You are here to give, not to receive. Any other benefits are a privilage.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:43 AM   #26
Pmsayi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focal X View Post
Sorry but that is no better than someone pulling a race/sex card. It's always a fill in the blank. "You can give your life for your country but you can't (input whatever applies)." When you sign up, you know you are at their mercy and you pledge your allegiance to the service. Expecting otherwise falls on you. No offense to the OP or the military. I've served and there is no other dishonorable thing than trying to pull the military card. You are here to give, not to receive. Any other benefits are a privilage.
First, thank you and the other military service personnel and their families for your service and sacrifice. Second, sorry, but I respectfully disagree. Those who serve sacrifice many things and their families sacrifice just as much. While I fully understand and agree with not allowing pets in barracks, housing is another matter entirely. The families of military personnel already make huge sacrifices, restricting their right to own a pet of their choosing that may bring them some happiness while a loved one is off serving in some God forsaking place is bullsh*t. That's right up there with congress having the best health care possible while returning injured vets sometimes wait months to get the care they need.

I find it ironic that those who are charged with protecting our freedoms are still sh*t on by our government and their rights restricted. To the OP: I will be writing my representative to complain about this.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:28 AM   #27
Sariel
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVLOVK1025 View Post
That's silly. You're right, the housing market sucks...but that means you can get a good property for less money. As soon as you're ready to move, your house becomes your rental property, and rentals never go out of style especially when within the range of a military base. Pick another house up at your next duty station, move, rent it out, etc. Doing it like that will allow you to leave the military with several rental properties.
And while that is a great option for some people, its a gamble Im not really in the position to take up myself. You need to be able to the time inbetween tenants, and any possible repairs. Not things I have the extra money to do. Theres also the issue of not being able to be sure my property is being fairly well maintained by the current renters, travel costs to do inspections when people are going to move out. Theres alot more involved than just "renting it when you leave"

Old 07-10-2011, 04:20 PM   #28
HecticLifeReptiles
My husband is military, and the reason for the exotics ban ON base housing is for the reason that they can't just ban burmese or rock pythons, they MUST ban ALL snakes, many reasons for the bans of exotic is because 1) soldiers do go to the field and arnt always responsible for watching or hiring a sitter, 2) Soldiers do deploy quite often, and sudden most times, this leads to soldiers releasing their snakes onto the base, which is dangerous, as well as harmful to the enviroment,not to mention, many people are PETRIFIED of snakes. I perosnally think it is a good thing that they have done this,because it means those of us in the snake trade wont get dinged for dumbies letting lose the animals they cant find homes for.

Old 07-10-2011, 04:52 PM   #29
Sariel
Quote:
Originally Posted by HecticLifeReptiles View Post
My husband is military, and the reason for the exotics ban ON base housing is for the reason that they can't just ban burmese or rock pythons, they MUST ban ALL snakes, many reasons for the bans of exotic is because 1) soldiers do go to the field and arnt always responsible for watching or hiring a sitter, 2) Soldiers do deploy quite often, and sudden most times, this leads to soldiers releasing their snakes onto the base, which is dangerous, as well as harmful to the enviroment,not to mention, many people are PETRIFIED of snakes. I perosnally think it is a good thing that they have done this,because it means those of us in the snake trade wont get dinged for dumbies letting lose the animals they cant find homes for.
I have to disagree on a couple points here.

A: It is just as easy to ban the larger animals and allow smaller snakes rather than just blanket ban.

B: Those same people who are deployed and irresponcible about sitters will be the same with their cats and dogs. Whether or not its an exotic shouldnt make a difference, Its easier to release a snake to a pet store than to release a dog the same way, and a dog/cat is going to be MUCH more detrimental to the environment if just let loose. Most exotic reptiles can't live more than a season in the majority of North America.

c: I dont think someone else being petrified of snakes should eliminate my ability to responsably own one. As I stated earlier I have to deal with their irritating quirks, its part of living in close communal housing.

Old 07-10-2011, 05:27 PM   #30
HecticLifeReptiles
well I see your point, but I also get where the army is coming from. Ft hood found a 11ft rattler in someones on-post housing...we all own our snakes as responsibly as we can, but escapes do happen from time to time and that can be dangerous. I personally own 2 rescued BCI's, one was a soldier that deployed n dumped the snake on his mom, who had no idea what she was doing, the other was a soldier who decided to buy a baby BCI for his 4 year old son and my husband and I were told the snake was "very dangerous and not handleable, that it had bit the 4 year old, upon arriving to pick up the snake the 4 yr old was running around the house with it in front of the parents...they wondered why the snake bit the kid. I'm not saying military members should NEVER own snakes, but I think it better they live off post to do so and adhere to state and local laws, just like the rest of us do. the fact is many soldiers were keeping snakes that are banned in the state, that require permits that the soldiers did not have or were owning snakes that are very dangerous to the community. if a soldier wants to own a snake and upkeep it, I think it best the soldier does so off post and in the proper manner. base housing includes Barracks, where people were keeping snakes in closets, lockboxes and the such, without proper heating and proper care. these are the reasons my husband and I live off post and we get calls from the on base shelter every now and then about snakes they found in a barrack inspection that needs a new home. it's sad that soldiers can't simply follow the rules set upon them. even the dog bans don't work as effectively as you might think. pope still own pits n rotts on post, they just call them something else, like a lab or some crap. where I live off post I paid $280 to own my snakes and I was thinking of Doug a fish tank, but per my rental agreement I would have to pay another $280...that's for a tank of fish!!!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!