CT Residents just got screwed! - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > General Legislative Discussions

Notices

General Legislative Discussions Any general discussion concerning legislative issues or events. Not necessarily specific to a particular region, or even a type of animal group.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:33 PM   #11
SPJ
It sucks. The only reason I was told of this when the draft was first made was because of my involvement with the DEP. It was like hitting my head against a wall trying to fight this. We killed it once last year and it came back again and passed. The only reason we won defeated it last time is because the language was not in favor of the Maritime Aquarium (which keeps gators and dart frogs) and they came to the meeting to help fight it. This language exempts them but screws the small guy. I am now sick to my stomach over this.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:39 PM   #12
matt b
that sounds almost exactly like what happened here, one day the laws were not going to be passed then all of a sudden i was reading a post somewhere and it was referencing all the new regulations in NC. just out of no where. on top of it all neither wildlife or the local animal control officers new anything about it, so trying to get questions answered was out of the question.
usark had a major part in getting the laws passed here so that they were reasonable but considering what has happened over the past few months with laws my opinions on the have changed considerably

Old 03-21-2012, 12:42 PM   #13
SPJ
No warning about actually passing. When was the vote? Did they listen to anything that was told to them? No heads up. Just a notice to turn in the restricted animals on the 31st at Beardsley.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:45 PM   #14
Focal
MAN! There are a lot of big hits on that list!

Old 03-21-2012, 01:01 PM   #15
Mooing Tricycle
Wtf??? Noooooo way. Anyone you can give the animals to, in the mean time Steve? I would NOT trust where these animals are going. Honestly. Will they get adequate care? Just not right, imho. Not at all.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:59 PM   #16
SPJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooing Tricycle View Post
Wtf??? Noooooo way. Anyone you can give the animals to, in the mean time Steve? I would NOT trust where these animals are going. Honestly. Will they get adequate care? Just not right, imho. Not at all.
They are most likely going to be put down.
I have to see what I can do with some of these animals. Really pisses me off. Waste all of this money on permitting, transport caging, only to have to lose it all. Does this state realize just how hard it is to get $250K in insurance and what that costs? How the hell can you get $1M and even if you could, how do you afford it? The emperor was supposed to be part of a science fair next month explaining and demonstrating why they glow under black light.
This sucks!

Old 03-21-2012, 02:03 PM   #17
SPJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focal View Post
MAN! There are a lot of big hits on that list!
Notice how they left burms off of the list. Guess they figured the change to the Lacey Act took care of them.

Old 03-21-2012, 02:25 PM   #18
Plethora Of Pythons LLC
That is awful. Thankfully, Virginia tabled their legislation, but it could be back next year. The same thing could happen in any state. Knee jerk politicians really frustrate me. :

Old 03-21-2012, 08:22 PM   #19
wojcik49
Wow fucking bullshit....that is disgusting that they are making them illegal

Old 03-21-2012, 08:28 PM   #20
weird_science04
I am speechless. I have a bad feeling, all states are moving this way. Once they get these laws passed, it won't be hard to add the rest of the hobby. A very sad time for us. Sometimes I feel we are fighting a losing battle. Even though I continue to try to get people active in calling politicians and writing letters, it seems people are losing interest because they are getting sick of doing it. However, getting sick and tired of doing something for our hobby will cause our hobby to cease to exist. I am so sorry you are going through this in CT.

Star

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!