Bad Guy Backwater Reptiles - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 07-07-2013, 03:06 PM   #1
Jessica29
Thumbs down Backwater Reptiles

Just wanted to inform anyone looking to buy a reptile NOT to buy from backwater reptiles. I ordered a baby red blood python from them and have three major problems with what I received.

1. Shipping conditions were unexceptable. The container was to big for the box so it was tilted to where the snake couldn't even move. There was also NO cool pack even though temps in my area were over 110 degrees.

2. Upon examination of the blood python we noticed alot of tiny bumps all over we body, indicating she was infested with mites.

3. After a couple days we noticed her resting with her mouth open. When we picked her up to examine her further she had bubbles coming out of he mouth, indicating a respiratory infection. Her temps are fine on my end with the hot spot at about 88 and the cool side about 78. This does not happen overnight. Sorry about the quality of this pic, but hopefully you can see it.

4. When we originally emailed tem regarding the bumps, they said they thought it could be food moving its way down (which obviously was not what I was talking about). They then said it may be water blisters, implying they would still send out a sick snake. Humidity is around 67%.

Old 07-07-2013, 09:32 PM   #2
Durante
I'm assuming that the Backwater Reptiles your speaking has the fauna account name "BackwaterReptiles" Samuel Sundberg of Sacramento, CA, USA. http://www.backwaterreptiles.com/ since the text message is signed Sam & the fax numbers match but I didn't see any post under that account so I'm guessing the purchase was done somewhere else? Could you please provide the dates of delivery & contact? Has Mr. Sundberg been advised of this post? I'm sure everyone would like to hear his side of the sorry as well. I particularly would like to hear more from him about how of the many methods available in fixing a mite problem, placing a toxic flea collar in with any reptile is the best solution..

Old 07-07-2013, 09:40 PM   #3
Jessica29
I ordered straight from that website you linked. I ordered June 28 and the animal was shipped July 1, delivered July 2. I've received repays through email mostly through Sam, and one from Abby. I did mention that I should have looked them up on BOI, where they then told me that most of te reviews on them is from an "unethical competitor." I havnt received another reply yet regarding the RI. I don't beleive I have yet informed them about this BOI.

Old 07-07-2013, 10:06 PM   #4
Celtic Constrictors
Not to take sides here but did you ask for a refund including shipping? If YES and they declined, I think this is a warranty bad guy thread. If NO, I think you jumped the gun. Mistakes do happen. It makes a difference as to whether they were willing to correct the situation or just shut you down and run away with your money.

I see where they offered to reimburse the cost of treatment/supplies for the mites but just trying to get the whole picture here.

Old 07-07-2013, 10:07 PM   #5
Celtic Constrictors
warranted* not warranty. Sorry.

Old 07-07-2013, 10:21 PM   #6
Jessica29
All they said is I could ship it back and they would refund my money. They did not say they would pay for shipping. I still find it rediculous that they would ship in such bad conditions, along with mites AND an RI.

Old 07-07-2013, 10:43 PM   #7
Celtic Constrictors
I find the condition of the animal they shipped as well as their methods rather appaling indeed, but you should ask if they will refund the cost of the animal including shipping both ways. I'm curious as to their response.

I've considered purchasing from them on various occasions but the BOI is such a useful tool for providing insight before any bad deals might happen.

Old 07-07-2013, 10:50 PM   #8
Jessica29
Even if they would refund for shipping as well, I do not have te means to send her back. I would never ship an animal in these temperatures without a cool pack or anything (which I do not have and they did not send the animal with). I'm not even sure that she would make it with the added stress of shipping, mites, and RI. I'd rather keep her and treat her myself then have her die. This thread was just to show people te conditions they are willing to send their animals in. Whether they try to fix it or not, to me, justify a nothing.

Old 07-07-2013, 11:03 PM   #9
SIGNATURE DESIGN EXOTICS
Sorry to hear about the bad conditions of your blood. This is simply unexceptionable and you are owed a refund. With that said I do think you need to get the temperature on your cool side up a few degrees. A low of around 82 to 85 is much safer and if indeed it is a RI higher temps are essential to help the snake fight it off. Somewhere in the range of 86 to 89 for the time being with a hot of 95 is a acceptable range. I wish you the best of luck with and hope he pulls through.

Old 07-08-2013, 01:37 AM   #10
Durante
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguine84 View Post
Not to take sides here but did you ask for a refund including shipping? If YES and they declined, I think this is a warranty bad guy thread. If NO, I think you jumped the gun. Mistakes do happen. It makes a difference as to whether they were willing to correct the situation or just shut you down and run away with your money.

I see where they offered to reimburse the cost of treatment/supplies for the mites but just trying to get the whole picture here.

"Mistakes do happen" but I have to disagree with you because believe if everything we heard to date is correct, then this bad guy thread is 100% warranted. Poor packaging without anything to regulate the temperature isn't a mistake when you operate out of the same state your shipping the animal to. I believe in quarantining all new snakes entering a collection & understand sellers sometimes resell quickly but from the looks of them pictures & that animals skin this isn't a new case of mites, it's an infestation. The RI could have easily been induced from these parasites or even stress. Then on top of everything the seller provides poor information on resolving issues that should of been addressed well before even selling an animal. I'm still waiting to hear the other side of the story from Backwater reptiles but I doubt anyone can claim they would enjoy the experience the Opt received doing business with this company as she states it happened.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!