Stephanie Kunder - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Cornsnakes & Ratsnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-15-2006, 10:35 PM   #1
John E Dove
Stephanie Kunder

I was just reading the "Giving Reptile Records at Shows" thread you started on the General Business Forum.
What record keeping program do you use?
Is it simple enough for a thick brained old man to learn to use it?
If so Where did you get it and what was the cost?
I'm tired of using excel.
Thanks for reading.
John E Dove

Old 11-16-2006, 12:04 AM   #2
ldydrgn
John, would you like me to send you a record sheet? It's basically the same one they use at the Louisville Zoo with different info.

Old 11-16-2006, 06:27 AM   #3
TripleMoonsExotic
Actually, it's just Excel! I'm just very creative with it.

I can send you the file if it will help you.

Old 11-16-2006, 06:34 AM   #4
Mike Greathouse
Michelle / Stephanie,
I would like to see both of your record keeping sheets.
Can you post them or email them to me at: mike@reptiliandreams.com

Thanks,

Old 11-16-2006, 06:58 AM   #5
TripleMoonsExotic
Since this is the cornsnake forum, here's a screenshot of one of my Cornsnake records... It was created to print full size on 8.5 x 11.
Attached Images

Old 11-16-2006, 08:44 AM   #6
John E Dove
Ugh, I'm not computer savy enough to figure out how to do all that with Excel. I barely manage to open the program and keep a basic list. But I have plenty of data on paper.
I was really hoping you'd found something I could take out to the snake building and pop it in the computer then spend a little time inputting the data & pics.
Durn you smart people anyway.

Michelle,
If you still have my email sure send it to me. If not let me know and I'll drop you a line via Donnie's email as that is the one in my addy book on you guys.
Hopefully once wife gets done writing the programing for our website I can get her to work on creating me a record keeping program for dummies.
To her credit, she does try to teach me how to do some of the fancy stuff but it is like me trying to get her excited about following a toad around all night to learn its natural habbits.
John E Dove

Old 11-16-2006, 10:45 AM   #7
Laura Fopiano
Oh, oh, oh!!! Can u send a copy of that to Bryonsboas@netzero.net please!!! He's been working on something similar, however, I really like yours a lot!!!. If you send it to me....I'll probably loose it in the hard drive transfer before I move. LOL Yeah it's blonde thing!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleMoonsExotic
Since this is the cornsnake forum, here's a screenshot of one of my Cornsnake records... It was created to print full size on 8.5 x 11.

Old 11-16-2006, 12:39 PM   #8
John E Dove
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleMoonsExotic
Whoa, Thank you, thank you, thank you Stephanie.
My wife spotted your screen shot on my screen and asked what it was.
After I explained that you had done that with excel and how I was looking for something that would do the same only simpler she sat down and started working on writing a C Sharp program that would be easy enough for me.
LOL, she knows how limited my abilities are on this machine. I can find a Tarantula burrow in the dessert but have trouble finding files I have saved on this thing.
At this point she has already made it to the point that it displays similar to what you have and allows for an easy search for the various reptiles in the collection. Now is working inputing and changing data (making it simple enough for me). Then she will have to work out making it printer friendly.
She just told me not to brag on it yet cause it is far from done but, hey without your example I would not have even been able to get her started. I don't speak computereze well enough to explain what it is I need. My eyes just glaze over when she starts talking websites, programing and trouble shooting.
Ah to be young again.

Old 11-16-2006, 04:25 PM   #9
HerpLuver
There are multiple different programs available to the average herp keeper. Metzcal is one of them, http://www.metzcal.com/ Although Metzcal is quite an extensive program, and takes some time to get used to, it has to be the most comprehensive, detailed record keeper available. FOR FREE!

There's also Degei Husbandry Database, which i have a purchased copy of and can say it is worth it. It may not be super flashy, nor able to take each and every single bit of info you might WANT to put in. But it holds all the essentials and is quite easy to use. www.Degei.com

There are others out there that i've heard of, but never checked out. If your willing to learn, Metzcal is the best.

Old 11-16-2006, 04:38 PM   #10
TripleMoonsExotic
Laura, I'll remove my crap out've it and send you a copy over the weekend (I work and don't have time to do it today/tomorrow). John, I'd love to see what your wife comes up with!

As for the software already available via Degei, Metzcal & others, I've found it way to complicated to use.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!