Biodome/scorpian/leo/ plus extras - Page 15 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-25-2006, 09:51 AM   #141
The NY Gecko
well see thats damn near impossible with cases like this. you just want to and in my case have n ochoice but to say something. i didnt catch onto this until like page 18 so i saw him say "fack off i dont need your advice" it obviously wasnt working. really at what point does constructive stuff have to end. the 2 things i cant stand more than anything in this world are failure, and idiots.

Old 01-25-2006, 01:42 PM   #142
KatieDB
I think 99% of the posts here were constructive, some more than others. The original poster asked if it would work and then ignored all the informative and extremely polite advice given. After that I think a lot of the posts were very frank, but no less helpful.

IMO, if you decide to come onto a board for advice and your age says you're twenty be prepared for rather harsh replies if your being stupid. Its one thing if the poster claimed to be 9, Im sure the thread would have had a more peaceful tone. However it is quite another to say your 20 and then ignore the advice you ask for.

Old 01-25-2006, 02:07 PM   #143
A_Kendergirl
There were a number of posts that really made me wince...and bite my tongue. And no, this thread did not start off on the educational foot (if you will). Go back and look. There is post after post saying this has to be a joke, your teacher is a moron, etc. There was a LOT of attacking of the teacher (not that I don't agree), and you have to remember kid sometimes actually do look to their teachers as a roll model.

The guy, of course, was pushing everyone's buttons on purpose. He pushed, and got the reaction he was looking for. There were a number of good reasons given as to why it wouldn't work...but it was covered in a bit of hostility. So yes, I think biting your tongue (not to anyone in particular) is the best course of action with someone new and young. Again, the average kid is great at turning off the ears when they feel like they're being mocked and attacked. If you can lay down the facts, mow them over with knowledge, and not get hostile about it then it's going to have a much great effect than someone saying "You must be joking, if not, you're crazy and your teacher is dumb!" (I know that no one here said exactly those words, but it's exactly the tone given through the first posts). Just look at option A and option B, as think of how you would have reacted as a kid.

I didn't jump in as there were enough people beating that horse. I have gone on plenty of rants myself. This is just food for thought for everyone...myself included. As this wasn't real anyway, there wasn't actual damage done. What needs to be taken away is the right way to act if it comes up again and it is real.

Just think of this as me playing Devil's advocate. I really wanted to say a number of things that were said, but held off. After this wrapped up, I wondered how this thread would be different if people posted in a calmer and more respectful manner. Given the guy, it might not have been different; but I think if given a real kid with a real situation, it would have.

Old 01-25-2006, 02:23 PM   #144
groovygeckos
Good post, Shanti!

Old 01-25-2006, 04:45 PM   #145
LeosForLess
And he did ask about a misting volcano with a leopard gecko, and a leo and a fat tail being made into a hybrid.

Old 01-25-2006, 05:12 PM   #146
A_Kendergirl
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeosForLess
And he did ask about a misting volcano with a leopard gecko, and a leo and a fat tail being made into a hybrid.
Which I have heard many times from many people that are new to reptiles. Doubtless, I'll hear it again. Just because it's frustrating, it doesn't mean you can't approach such questions in a professional manner. If you're so fed-up with such questions that you can't possible say something without it being nasty, then it really is better to step back and let someone else handle it. There are many, many people here who know what they are doing, and I'm sure not all of us will get burnt out at the same time.

When you get burnt out, take a break. Come back in a few weeks and you'll find your patience level has increased. It's not always easy playing the good guy, but for the sake of the hobby it should be done.

If you can get such a person to cut down the number of reptiles to one or two that they like, and learn PROPER care..you may create a herper for life. Just because they start out bad, doesn't mean they can't learn.

If you belittle such a person and they get defensive, they may not ask for help anymore. They may keep the animals til they (inevitably) die, or they may dump them and never want anything to do with herps again.

Please keep in mind I'm talking about young people getting into the hobby. Adults really should know better....but it still won't hurt to try to keep things civil.

Old 02-10-2006, 11:15 AM   #147
nativecollector
LOL, I rarley visit here any more, but when I do I get a real kick out of how everyone on here takes things posted on the internet like they were in a gun slinging match.

A sense of humor no one has here, and it must be nice to have the power to ban people. What that dude or dudette did was not even close to trolling. It all started with a ligimate post, be it true events or not, what turned it into trolling is the people that responded to it. Then it turned into more of a fight than it did helping.

I would be willing to bet that with in a matter of 1 hour or less someone will take offense to this and start fussing again, it might even be the admin and without saying a word ban me. But that would only prove a point futher that no one here at least no one in this post can take constructive critisim.

Think about this,
this person came here for advise, and instead of getting advise he got called names. Now most people here consider yourselves adults, but the way the name calling started and the treatment that one received here it had the feel of a bunch of 2 year olds argueing about a toy. Then again will you, yeah you reading this, think wow how ridiculous this really was. Would you like me to answer that or would you like to leave your shoes at the door and look back at it from the original posters view.

web slave, i never had anything against you and the way you handled your web site, after all its yours, but what ever happened to jim-o, drop some money in your lap and then there was the ever so thankful bye bye ban. I read over what all he had posted before the ban and unless he had sent you a pm that was outright down grading I am one of your forums members didnt have a problem with it. But then again it wasn't for me to decide, nor was it for me to decide to ban this poster for what he came here to do, be it get advise or to stur up some 2 year olds. He doesn't have to have written permission to gather information provided he doesn't use names or locations if that was his real intent.

Ok kids have a go at me, I wont be back anyways.

Old 02-10-2006, 02:35 PM   #148
The NY Gecko
ill give you what you. its better to give than to recieve after all...... ok look it i dont see the point in ripping open old wounds. this thing is close to ancient. and what you said is hypocritical. simply by reopening the issue makes you to be what your whining about. a troll. and how ppl jump on each other. honestly what was the point in opening up a 2 month old topic? im intrigued and a bit baffled. ive seen all sorts of displays of public nonsense in my day. this is up there on my list of favorites

Old 02-11-2006, 01:14 AM   #149
hoi-herps
looks like everyone posted now......but does it really take 30 pages to get a point across.....see if theres one thing ive learned in life.....its that no matter what you do ..or say ..or feel about a subject......it dont change anything.....god created free will...that means if i gave you advice to save you from a bad situation and you didnt take it (and im sure everyone here can relate....to advice givin to friends or family that they didnt take......)and then your like i wish i had listened....it happens to us all so rather then hatebashing someone .....you informed them they wont listen so ....oh well game over... im sorry if this is insulting to some...im a little blunt..but my words do have meaning....im just stating it didnt take me 30 pages to realize theres a 5% chance he will listen and theres a 1% chance its not a made up story......

just a little something to think about....

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!