tremper incubation method - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

View Poll Results: what do you think about the tremper incubation method?
I do not agree with it and don't use it 24 42.11%
i have no problem with it and use it 8 14.04%
i could care less as long as it is represented as such 17 29.82%
either way is fine and i dont care if they do or dont disclose this info 8 14.04%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-24-2004, 02:38 PM   #21
Xavier
Thanks Alberto that was very nice to read
Intresting I guess I haven't been on leo forums enough you hatch hout alot extremely nice female like unicorn and princess why do people think these are only temp induced ? Alberto could you throw a number out there for use, all the leos you produce from high end trempors what % are just as nice as the parents? I ask this cause I was suprised to read that you only sell a small % online I thought that a good number would be as nice as the parents.
Correct me if I'm wrong
Again thanks
Xavier
PS Caesar is doing great he was 92 grams on January

Old 01-24-2004, 04:06 PM   #22
A&M Gecko
Hi Xavier
I cannot throw a % out there for people to use because some of it is luck. What I will do is give you an example. From Unicorn babies I got 4 females holdback quality, I kept 2 and sold the other 2. Maybe this year from the same geckos I will get 2 holdback females instead then 4, it is just not fear for me to put up a % because it cannot be always accurate. I did not say that I sell a small % on line, but that I sell the best looking one on line. Now, from a gecko like Unicorn I got 0% females that were brown and most were at list nice to very nice and the breeders I have on my site are not all I have and from those I can say that most of the babies, both males and females ended up to be very nice.
I am happy that Caesar is doing great.
Regards Alberto

Old 01-24-2004, 05:32 PM   #23
Xavier
I understand Alberto,
No thats what I expected just making sure
thanks
Xavier

Old 01-27-2004, 08:14 PM   #24
diablohogs
Thumbs down tremper method

Genetics are what breeding stock is picked for and typically a nice albino is light in color which can be achieved through line breeding for color and if the tremper method is applied than people are buying animals that do not represent thier line bred genetics. that would be like powerfeeding a tremper than selling it as a giant tremper in my opinion.

tyrosinase positive albinos dont really serve any purpose in the leopard gecko world as far as im concerned. other than being used like other albinos. what sort of double mutation could possibly benefit from the presence of tyrosinase and the absence of melanin? dark blazing blizzards? (assuming that a "midnight" blizzard is the color it is from the presence of tyrosinase)

with this in mind i wonder if a blazing blizard that is a rainwater vs. a tremper would be a whiter animal.

also i was wondering... are trempers the only tyrosinase positive albino strain in leopard geckos? bells sure have alot of that brown color to them.

p.s. if you are using this method and open about it... more power to you. Ron Tremper obviously does and i would have no problem buying an albino leo from him.

p.p.s. does temp merely effect the amount of tyrosinase expressed or does this also effect melanin production and the tangerine coloration in geckos (which i'm assuming is caused from the presence of xanthium and koolaid).

Old 01-27-2004, 08:58 PM   #25
E2MacPets
To my knowledge ALL THREE STRAINS are T+
The person to ask would be Jodi Aherns or Justyn has probably hunted this info down by now.

Old 01-27-2004, 09:09 PM   #26
KelliH
Steve is correct, all 3 strains are T+.

Old 01-27-2004, 09:16 PM   #27
robin d.
Quote:
also i was wondering... are trempers the only tyrosinase positive albino strain in leopard geckos? bells sure have alot of that brown color to them.
we had a discussion a while back on another site... i believe Jogi Aherns aka ground gecko freak... send tail snippets from each strina for a dopa test and the results came back that all three forms trempers,rainwaters and bells are all tryosinase positive

Quote:
p.p.s. does temp merely effect the amount of tyrosinase expressed or does this also effect melanin production and the tangerine coloration in geckos (which i'm assuming is caused from the presence of xanthium and koolaid).
it decreases the amount of melanin...... so i am assuming it would, in hypo and or tangerines make them more hypo and brighter... because it will take out the darker colors whether it be black or brown.

oh and not all bells are brown

this guy is light

some of them come orange too

what i have noticed on them though is that they dont have brown but rather a dark red maroon..... i have some others i got firectly from mark bell to out cross which are much blander but it offers me good genetic diversity
plus i have hypo het bells and some others things

Old 01-28-2004, 01:45 AM   #28
Golden Gate Geckos
Tremper.. uh, Viets incubation method experiment

I conducted an experiment last year on one clutch of albino eggs to prove this theory just for grins, and thought the results were interesting. Here goes:

These are the parents, and as you can see they are not dark albinos. The male (Luther) was a very pale, red-eyed juvie when I got him at approximately 8 weeks of age. The female (Libby) was quite dark as a juvie, but turned into an awesome tang albino.

Luther

Libby

The first egg was incubated at 80-82 degrees for 57 days, and here is how she looked:

I incubated the second egg at 80-81 degrees for 21 days, and then at 88-90 degrees for 27 days. The offspring turned out female, and here's what she looked like:

This was a 'quick-and-dirty' test, and the only attempt I made using this method, but I thought the results were fairly conclusive that the system does demonstrate the effects of higher incubation temperatures on color. What I could not prove was whether or not this method was used during the incubation of the parents, which might have resulted in their adult coloration and/or contributed in any way to the way the offspring looked. A LOT more studies would have to be done to really mean anything, but I just thought I'd share.

Old 01-30-2004, 12:43 PM   #29
SFgeckos
just curious

did anyone last year or the year before buy "chocolate or lavender" trempers at reduced/lower prices (compared to the high yellow/orange trempers) and produced some screamer high yellow/orange offspring?

theortically, this might be an easier/cheaper way for hobbyists that can't dish out $500+ per albino breeder to get spend say $500 to get a group of "cholocate" albinos and produce nice offspring?...just a random thought...any comments?

anyone willing to try it? (unfortunately i dont have any dark/brown rainwaters to work with hehe) i'ld be interested in seeing pics of the parents and what they produce later this year.

-jon

Old 01-30-2004, 01:50 PM   #30
Golden Gate Geckos
Jon...

I am of the opinion that there is no such thing as a "chocolate alino"... it is just catchy a term used for albinos that are dark, thus making it yet another new color morph that everyone will jump on the band wagon to buy. From a breeder's standpoint, it would certainly make it easier to sell the not-so-albino looking geckos!

The little dark Tremper female I posted the picture of in my previous post could be considered a "chocolate albino," but will most likely turn out looking just like any other one. Her mother looked very similar when I got her, but developed into a real nice tangerine albino, and produced some awesome orange and yellow offspring! Go figure...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!