Who is "THE" source for leopard gecko genetics? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-17-2004, 03:06 PM   #11
Golden Gate Geckos
stripes

Quote:
What about stripes? Seem like we had some discussion about this and there was not any agreement.
I believe stripes are genetic, but a line-bred trait. I am not so sure it is always a recessive, because when I breed stripe/stripe I get stripes, and stripe/jungle I get jungles (many w/stipe tails), and when I breed stripe/normal, I get a high percentage of abberants & jungles. Robin Struck and Nicole Ellister would be the ones that could best answer that.

Old 04-17-2004, 03:13 PM   #12
CoolGecko
From what I seen the Jungles are domaint over Stripes and both are gentic. We need some testing out on Jungle to Stripe to proof it out more.
My line of pastel seems to be Doimant over any I cross to. I has some spring off that are 4 week old already has white on them.

Old 04-17-2004, 03:15 PM   #13
diablohogs
stripes...

Quote:
I breed stripe/normal, I get a high percentage of abberants & jungles.
that line that your working with is definately NOT recessive than.
if it were than that pairing would only produce het for stripe with a normal phenotype.

in the actual discussion...(where i predicted what marcia just said to be the case with stripes, being as thats the case with other reptiles such as Honduran milksnakes) i think it was brought up that there are different lines of stripe some of which are recessive. if i can only remember the name of that thread.... well im gonna go a lookin...

Old 04-17-2004, 03:20 PM   #14
CoolGecko
They would be hets for jungle or Jungle are Domiant over Normal and Stripe? I think we need some more testing out for their genetics.

Old 04-17-2004, 03:33 PM   #15
diablohogs
Arrow in my opinion...

there are three stages of abberancy..

stage 1. abberancy: this would be any nontypical expression of the normal pattern.

stage 2. jungle: this is when the pattern has been overtaken with abberant pattern (a stronger expression of abberant). at this point its like the bands are fighting to become stripes.

stage 3. stripe: this is when the bands have gone from horizontal to vertical. they have restabilized as stripes. weaker examples of this usually resemble jungles or abberants.

most likely (and this is another hypothisis) this is from crossing subspecies of leopard gecko. when making snake hybrids abberancies are the norm. im even willing to bet that they exsist in honduran milksnakes for the very same reason!

like i said these are simply hypothisis... but i get the feeling crossing a pueblan milksnake with a honduran milksnake (both with normal patterns) would create instabilities in patternvgenetics...creating abberancy...and i feel the same appllies with leopard geckos.

in conclusion i dont feel that it is a recessive OR dominant gene rather a group of genes responsible for pattern that gets confused through adding a different combonation of genes via a subspecific crossbreedng.

but like i said... aside from what ive seen with hondurans and by looking at my albino stripe leo...i really have no lab proof to back this up...yet.

Old 04-17-2004, 03:45 PM   #16
CoolGecko
How come at most of time Stripe to Stripe produces all Stripes? This year I am producing Double hets for Stripe Bell Albino and Kelli test out so far all been 3/6 Stripe from Double het group. The jungle are seems to be domaint over Stripes and produce some pure Jungle het for Bell Albino while they don't has genetic history of jungle. I has feeling there a few differnt strains of Stripes and jungles, which cause Doiamnt, ressivce and non-genetics. The hurons snakes don't work alike to Geckos and all speices has differnt traits to has abililes to produces munations of morphs. We did interspeices bred and it was before 1999. We are appeting to make it pure and we cannot due of ban of import from Paskitain. In my option, we need more testing out.

Old 04-17-2004, 03:53 PM   #17
diablohogs
Red face i disagree

Quote:
The hurons snakes don't work alike to Geckos and all speices has differnt traits to has abililes to produces munations of morphs. We did interspeices bred and it was before 1999. We are appeting to make it pure and we cannot due of ban of import from Paskitain. In my option, we need more testing out.
you just backed up my theory even further by admitting not all leopard geckos are able to be subspecifically classified due to crossbeeding. same with hondurans.

dont abandon a theory just because it involves another type of reptile... genetics share the same principals and laws in ALL walks of life.

Old 04-17-2004, 03:59 PM   #18
diablohogs
still mostly just my opinion...

a stripe to stripe breeding will create all stripes due to the fact that the pattern has restabilized as STRIPES.

the reason jungle appears dominant is because a majority of the patterns on these animals are unstable due to crossing different patterns.

bands are a stabilized pattern...and stripes are to. cross either with an abberant or with one another and you will get variations of both.

Old 04-17-2004, 04:00 PM   #19
Bryan Self
If you want a genetic caculator that will figure more traits you can use this one.
http://www.geneticswizard.com/
The only draw back is you need to know how the trait is inherted. It will do up to six traits so have fun.

Old 04-17-2004, 05:59 PM   #20
KelliH
I still say that the lines of stripe I work with are expressing a recessive trait. How else can I explain the fact that I am producing stripes from my het Bell x stripe group? They look normal! Not a single stripe or jungle in the group. Also I have a friend that bred his line of stripes (same as one of the lines I work with) to Tremper albinos, then bred these babies together. He produced several stripe possible het albino, several normal possible het albinos, and a couple of striped trempers. Hmmmm, how do you explain that? Pics of my Stripe x Bell Albino group:

Pics of two of the 66% possible het Bells they produced:

I also have produced 1 striped Bell, but unfortunately it hatched out with severe deformities and died.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!