Why do people....... More..... - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-18-2005, 09:46 PM   #21
montezuma
OF not OR!

Old 02-18-2005, 09:48 PM   #22
hhmoore
an interesting topic...and one that i have considered alot over my many years in this hobby. I do not feel that reptiles are emotional, or even particularly intelligent. I do, however, feel that several species are capable of recognizing individuals and responding differently to them than to anybody else (even if there are several caretakers that have regular access). Doubt that? then I maintain that you haven't done this long enough or worked with the right animals. *Note - I make no claims as to WHY they respond differently, just that they do. To cite a few specifics, I have noted this to extremes with many African rock pythons, water monitors, and American alligators.

Old 02-18-2005, 10:02 PM   #23
leaftail
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg M
The way an animal reacts to certain stimuli does not mean it has a personality..... Learned behavior does not mean "personality" but it is a primative type of intel......
lol Gregg, what is personality if not learned behaviour? Maybe we're actually reading too much into human behaviour than is really there.

(tho I do agree with you about people who mistreat their animals because they attribute "human" feelings etc to them instead of accepting them for what they are.)

Old 02-18-2005, 11:01 PM   #24
hhmoore
you may have something there, laura. now that I think about it, endearing "personalities" are often exhibited by the "less than intelligent".
I'm sure that one'll get me hanged somewhere. (people are so defensive of their pets and partners, lol)

Old 02-18-2005, 11:04 PM   #25
Gregg M
Good question Laura...... But if you know even alittle bit about who I am, you would know I have an answer....LOL...... A personality is not a learned behavior and it has alot of emotion behind it....... Learned behavior is not an emotional behavior...... Learned behavior is an instinct and helps animals to adapt to changes in their environment just like learned behaviors help us out in every day life...... That does not qualify as a personality..... Are you starting to understand my thoughts here???? LOL..... On a neurological level, reptiles have very simple brains that are for simple fuctions..... Their brains are not "made" for complex functions like having personalities.....

Old 02-18-2005, 11:13 PM   #26
leaftail
What are emotions but various chemicals released into the brain etc., triggered by either external stimuli or learned behaviours?

IMHO, human personality is a combination of genetics and learned behaviours. We're just animals who think we're better than the other animals.

Old 02-18-2005, 11:19 PM   #27
Tripple H Herps
Quote:
IMHO, human personality is a combination of genetics and learned behaviours. We're just animals who think we're better than the other animals.
-Actually in a way, I do agree with you. However we have a much more advanced and evolved brain. This allows a better storage and configuration for knowledge. Most people say other animals cant truly "reason" but I need to disagree. It is a simple reaction caused by stimuli. Most animals like dogs can determine not to go into the rode when a car is coming. Instinct or reasoning??? If it was instinct why do other dogs just walk out in the road and get killed. Also if it was instinct, where did they develop that one?? Dogs were around allot longer then cars...lol. You can make your own decision on this one....

Old 02-18-2005, 11:37 PM   #28
StinaUIUC
Exactly Laura!...human emotions may be more complex than what other animals...can't think of a word but you know what I mean...lol...but that does not mean that human emotions are no more than neurological responses to stimuli that result in behaviors apropriate to the stimuli. For example love...love is an emotion meant to tie human beings together so that we do not become alone and lonely...we are, just like dogs, "pack" animals that crave the affection of others. "Love" is what keeps us together! ...ok that sounds cheesy...lol

Old 02-18-2005, 11:41 PM   #29
Tripple H Herps
Your'e both right. Love is considerd a chemical reaction within the brain. I do not know where I heard it from, but I think the chemical reaction can be equivalent to eating a certain amount of choclate (in the punds). I need to research that one better, so don't qoute me on it.

Old 02-18-2005, 11:41 PM   #30
aliceinwl
Reptiles just operate on a much more primitive level. What about emotions like fear? This is very a very primative emotion. Fear is rooted in instinct and is basic to survival.

I don't think that leos or reptiles in general are capable of more complex emotions like anger or love. But, conversely I do think that they have personalities. What is personality if not a set of individual preferences and behaviors. My reptiles are all different from each other in some sense.

I also don't think anthropomorphizing is bad if it's not carried to the extreme and recognized for what it is. It helps us relate to and bond with our charges. Ultimately it's this bond that we forge with them that ensures that they are well cared for and looked after.

-Alice

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!