(Super) Hypo Tangerine = co-dominant? - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-13-2005, 03:59 PM   #21
rhac
I have 1.1 wild caught Leopardgeckos. I bought them in 1998 in a pet shop...this time there wasn't many captive bred Leopardgeckos for sale here in Germany. I bought them as wildcaught so I think the male is definitely wild caught...why should they sell animals as wildcaught if they are captive bred?

Quote:
at this rate your holdbacks will never resemble thier urban line parentage
The Urban Gecko is not the mother of the '03 holdbacks i posted

Quote:
by breeding an urban line SHTCT to a normal you lose the vivid coloration and a good amount of carrottail
yes...I know...but I want to know if I get Super Hypos as well, by pairing her to my normal male.
And there is another problem. I'm 16...and me and my brother own 4 breeding groups (the males of the breeding groups are: 2.0 High Yellow 1.0 wild caught normal and 1.0 Patternless) so..no male to pair the Super Hypos to...and my parents wouldn't allow another breeding group.

And as you see.....I get Super Hypo Babies by pairing my Ray Hine Super Hypo female to my normal male...so why should I buy a Super Hypo male, just to get Super Hypos as well?

If I do not get Super Hypos when pairing the Urban Gecko Tangerine to the normal male....then I have to buy the right male for her...maybe.

Quote:
perhaps he is more interested in the genetics rather than the money?
definitely!

Old 05-13-2005, 04:01 PM   #22
magick-bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by robin s.
perhaps he is more interested in the genetics rather than the money?
I second that.

The true love of breeding Leos and finding out what makes the colors far supersedes my need or want to breed them for $$$$. Not all breeders are looking for Bling!

~Jeff C.

Old 05-13-2005, 04:07 PM   #23
magick-bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhac
And there is another problem. I'm 16...and me and my brother own 4 breeding groups (the males of the breeding groups are: 2.0 High Yellow 1.0 wild caught normal and 1.0 Patternless) so..no male to pair the Super Hypos to...and my parents wouldn't allow another breeding group.
I think it is very comendable of you to be so dedicated and intersested in Leopard Gecko genetics at your age. Keep up the great work.

I would also love to see some photos of your wild caught pair.

~Jeff C.

Old 05-13-2005, 04:07 PM   #24
diablohogs
jeff,
that must have been REALLY cool to be able to pick from all those wild caughts!!! i found your post very informative. thank you.

Old 05-13-2005, 04:15 PM   #25
magick-bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablohogs
jeff,
that must have been REALLY cool to be able to pick from all those wild caughts!!! i found your post very informative. thank you.
Thanks. It was very kewl to be able to go through them. However it was also very sad at times. Though the importer I bought from was great on taking care of the animals once they got them that was not always the case for the exporters he bought from. In many cases they were dehydrated, parasite infected, and on the verge of dying In many way I am very glad to see importation done away with. However it does limit the gene pool.

~Jeff C.

Old 05-13-2005, 04:20 PM   #26
diablohogs
Quote:
And as you see.....I get Super Hypo Babies by pairing my Ray Hine Super Hypo female to my normal male...so why should I buy a Super Hypo male, just to get Super Hypos as well?
actually you are producing hypos. not super hypos. and to answer your question about why... because your losing all that great orange and nice vivid (solid) carrot tail by breeding it to wild caughts and high yellows.

i understand your prediciment however. your lacking space. if it were me, id wait until i had room for a nice shtct male to breed to her. bulk her up ( the urban gecko SHTCT) and treat her like a pet until you have the space to add a male thats worthy of her lineage. you have enough animals with the ray hines hypo gene to do your genetics experiments for now so whats the rush to breed the shtct?

Old 05-13-2005, 04:51 PM   #27
KelliH
Quote:
actually you are producing hypos. not super hypos.
The animals in his picture are super hypos. What makes you say they are not? Just because his animals are not orange? An animal can be a super hypo and not be orange.

Old 05-13-2005, 04:53 PM   #28
rhac
Here are some pics:
the wild caught female

the wild caught male (with one of his daughters)

and now, some special an interesting baby pics:
some (super) Hypos look more like ghosts:

on the next picture you see the clutchmate...has a more intensive orange/yellow:

and look at this...this are babys from my wild caught to wild caught pairing:
looks quite normal:

but these two...specialy the last one look more like hypos...don't they?

so...maybe my wild caughts are some special wild caughts....I don't know what to think.

Old 05-13-2005, 04:57 PM   #29
diablohogs
no not because of thier color. thats linebred. because its from a pairing of a super hypo to a wild caught.

super hypo: homozygous for hypo.
X
normal: homozygous for normal.

crossing these two will produce hypos (heterozygous for hypo). hense they are hypos and not super hypos. that is, of course, based on that fact that the ray hines hypo is a codominant morph.

Old 05-13-2005, 04:58 PM   #30
diablohogs
i forgot to add the quote from kellis post. to avoid confusion... here it is.

Quote:
The animals in his picture are super hypos. What makes you say they are not? Just because his animals are not orange? An animal can be a super hypo and not be orange.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!