the AMAZING (so called) 16X het - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

View Poll Results: would you consider Ron Trempers marketing methods to be blatenly dihonest?
DUH! ive known this for years! 21 25.93%
he may stretch the truth but ill still buy a nice albino from him. 31 38.27%
leave the guy alone. hes done alot for the leopard gecko community! 17 20.99%
ron tremper is the patron saint of the leopard gecko world. 2 2.47%
the 16X het is real. youre just dumb. 10 12.35%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-21-2005, 08:44 PM   #21
diablohogs
Quote:
Here's a thought, Chad - why don't you write him a polite email and ask him your question.
my outgoing mail isnt working right now. i called SBC and they said to call Apple. i called apple and they said call back monday through friday.

besides everytime ive emailed ron with a question i always get a "non-answer".

i asked him if my super-tangerine albino was a hybino... he replied with "you could call him that". that what i call a "non-answer". so it seems pointless to even try.

Old 05-22-2005, 01:03 AM   #22
diablohogs
id love to know who voted the 16X het is real.

Old 05-22-2005, 02:42 AM   #23
Milwaukee Reptiles
LOL me too! Where is webslave when you need him (If he can even check that)?

Old 05-22-2005, 09:35 AM   #24
montezuma
Chad, I think you may have a valid question but you are attacking Ron as if you know better than him about this gecko. He didn't get to where he is by being an idiot!
I am not genius when it comes to genetics, I have to consult the books all the time but isn't this as simple as a 16th generation leo? Lets say each year a female was bred and a male from different bloodlines introduced each year then this gecko would be carrying 16 different traits.. right?

Old 05-22-2005, 01:30 PM   #25
Gregg M
Gene, I think you need to go hit those books some more......

Old 05-22-2005, 01:53 PM   #26
diablohogs
Quote:
I am not genius when it comes to genetics, I have to consult the books all the time but isn't this as simple as a 16th generation leo? Lets say each year a female was bred and a male from different bloodlines introduced each year then this gecko would be carrying 16 different traits.. right?
no. and once again he said "carries the genes for 16 different morphs. not traits.

i suggest anyone who is having a hard time understanding the genetics behind reptiles goto the WEBRADIO link on KS and listen to terry dunhams interview about morphs in hondurans. he is extremely knowledgable on the subject of genetics.

Quote:
He didn't get to where he is by being an idiot!
i never claimed hes an idiot. i said he was selling a 16X het. which is impossible.

Old 05-22-2005, 07:37 PM   #27
montezuma
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablohogs
i never claimed hes an idiot. i said he was selling a 16X het. which is impossible.
Hence, you are calling him either an idiot or a liar... which is it?

News flash! To carry a trait you must have a gene that has those traits...

Old 05-22-2005, 08:40 PM   #28
diablohogs
gene,
there are many traits that are infact polygenic. line bred traits are such. i suggest you find your genetics book before you continue this discussion with me because you are way off.

there is no single gene for carrot tail. no gene for tangerine, carrot head, baldy ect...

to be het... first, you are refering to A SINGLE LOCUS TRAIT. second, there must be two different allelles in the locus of the chromosone. in recessive traits you must be homozygous (carry 2 copies of the gene on a single locus) for the phenotype (outward appearance) to be affected. in dominant traits you only need a single allelle to be a mutated copy of the allelle for the phenotype to be affected.

if ron tremper claims that he has a leopard gecko that is heterozygous for 16 different traits (recessive or dominant) then he isnt telling the truth. the fact that it is a super giant makes it homozygous for one trait. but thats a mere technicality and typically one that is advantagous to the buyer. its the other 15 traits im curious about. i can maybe understand it being het for albino. thats 2 traits. the rest seem unrealalistic to me.

anyone with a decent knowledge of genetics will concur that my definition of "het" (heterozygous) is accurate and that it is impossible to create a 16X het unless those morphs are divided between the parents and the parents are homozygous for each trait. yet there are NOT 16 single locus traits in leopard geckos and out of the ones that are available we know he hasnt introduced any ray hines hypo or mack snow to this animal.

Old 05-22-2005, 08:59 PM   #29
Gregg M
I would call him a liar before I would call him an idiot.... Which would make him a good buisiness man....

Again Gene, start hitting those genetics books..... You seem to be lacking some important knowledge in this topic..... Thats not bad, unless you argue a point that you are unsure of yourself.....

Old 05-23-2005, 12:37 AM   #30
robin d.
Quote:
Originally Posted by montezuma
Chad, I think you may have a valid question but you are attacking Ron as if you know better than him about this gecko. He didn't get to where he is by being an idiot!
i wont quote on the idiot thing but he is a GREAT marketer!!!!
Quote:
no it would actually take quite a bit more (allot more infact) than that, it is not that easy at all but not impossible :eek3:

dan? wtf is a
Quote:
CHCTTJGA
?

Quote:
I would call him a liar before I would call him an idiot.... Which would make him a good buisiness man....
amen!!!! ::: waves hands in air and begins speaking in toungues :::

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!