Leopard Gecko Registry; Unneeded Bureaucracy? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-21-2006, 08:31 PM   #11
saltwaterreptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by montezuma
That was already established... see Herpportal
Huzzah!!!! I had forgotten that actually, leaky brain syndrom

Old 01-21-2006, 11:16 PM   #12
Storm55
Actually, I don't think the leopard gecko registry is as much of a control attempt as people seem to be thinking. An example of a currently successful registry is the AKC (American Kennel Club.) Dog breeders are free to breed however they see fit. They choose their own breedings, and they make all of the other choices involving their dogs and puppies such as price, contract terms, etc. The control remains with the breeders. All the AKC does it ensure the dog is purebred, based on the pedigree. The only thing AKC papers prove is that the dog does in fact come from two registered parents. So, I think that the creators of the leopard gecko registry are only interested in "papering" geckos to keep track of lineage, or pedigrees. It would be a way to look up your gecko and see the parents, grandparents, etc.

My stance on the issue however is that it just cannot work. Comparing it with AKC again, AKC is an organization that has been around for a very long time. AKC papers are important to many people buying a dog, not only to prove the dog's pedigree, but also to take part in the many dog activities AKC has to offer. There is a real incentive to a breeder to register a dog for papers, and incentive to a buyer to look for a puppy with papers.

The problem is, there is simply not much incentive to register a gecko. Breeders have been doing just fine on their own. There aren't "breeds" of leoperd geckos. Most breeders creatively and selectively breed their animals in order to replicate a certain trait, or create stronger traits, whatever those traits might be. In my opinion, that's one of the things that makes breeding these animals so fascinating. We don't need to worry about keeping breeds true, as in the dog world. Many times, we actually want to cross strains to see what they can produce. Also, there aren't gecko shows, or gecko sports that require papers for participation, which is just another reason that registering a gecko does not concern breeders and owners, as it might in another species like a cat or dog.

Anyway, that's a bit of my feelings on the subject of the registry. It's a good intention, but just not feasible at this time when it comes to leopard geckos.

Old 01-22-2006, 01:13 PM   #13
Golden Gate Geckos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Letkey
I am the one who attaches my name to the animals that I sell. I am the one who stands behind them and I am the one who makes sure that when someone buys an animal from me, they are happy. I don't think that any certificate from a third party is going to do that.
I agree 100%, Jeremy. Although I think the Leopard Gecko Registry is a GREAT idea, the unfortunate aspect is that there are aren't that many 'legitimate' LG breeders and a whole lot of hobbyists and rogue wannabe's that would not participate in this program.

As with the AKC, there a many people who want registered purebred dogs and don't mind spending the money for that guarantee. However, there are a probably more people that have little mixed-breed mutts that they have as loving little pets.

Old 01-22-2006, 02:19 PM   #14
Shelley1063
Quote:
a whole lot of hobbyists and rogue wannabe's that would not participate in this program
Then again, I'd bet there are a lot of us Hobbyists that would participate if the program was worthwhile. I found the idea very interesting when it began, but I too saw a lot of problems. As someone fairly new to all this, I find it quite frustrating that even the experts in the field can't seem to agree on some of the most basic of standards. Lord, I don't know how many different opinions I've seen on something as simple as what percentage of orange does it take to qualify a leo as a "carrot tail" and is that broken color or unbroken LOL Or how many spots are the max a leo can have and still be considered a "Hypo"? etc. Until the simpliest things like these can be agreed on by the industry as a whole, then something like the LGR never stands a chance.
Quote:
It's a good intention, but just not feasible at this time
I totally agree with this statement

Old 01-22-2006, 03:44 PM   #15
PaulSage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Gate Geckos
I agree 100%, Jeremy. Although I think the Leopard Gecko Registry is a GREAT idea, the unfortunate aspect is that there are aren't that many 'legitimate' LG breeders and a whole lot of hobbyists and rogue wannabe's that would not participate in this program.
Marcia, I think that's a great point. Honestly. But as one of those "wannabes", I would most likely jump on the registry bandwagon if I saw a significant amount of the established/reputable breeders doing so. That's not meant to contradict my previous post--I'm just saying that as a newbie/wannabe/wet-behind-the-ears gecko breeder, I wouldn't feel compelled to register my animals unless the bigger breeders started doing it first.

Old 01-22-2006, 04:33 PM   #16
Cat_72
Quote:
Actually, I don't think the leopard gecko registry is as much of a control attempt as people seem to be thinking. An example of a currently successful registry is the AKC (American Kennel Club.) Dog breeders are free to breed however they see fit. They choose their own breedings, and they make all of the other choices involving their dogs and puppies such as price, contract terms, etc. The control remains with the breeders. All the AKC does it ensure the dog is purebred, based on the pedigree. The only thing AKC papers prove is that the dog does in fact come from two registered parents. So, I think that the creators of the leopard gecko registry are only interested in "papering" geckos to keep track of lineage, or pedigrees. It would be a way to look up your gecko and see the parents, grandparents, etc.
I'm going to guess (no offense intended in ANY WAY) that you haven't had a whole lot of experience with AKC or their methods. The AKC has been going downhill for many years now, especially after some of the newer RESTRICTIONS they have placed on breeders. Requiring DNA testing on male dogs is the latest I know of (at the breeders cost), limiting the number of litters you can produce out of any given male dog, and there's many more stipulations now attached to even registering a litter, all of which are well-intended, but they are slowly but surely taking a lot of the control out of the breeders' hands. They can also send inspectors out to review your paperwork and conditions, and if something isn't they way they want it done, POOF! now none of your dogs are registered, and you can no longer even be allowed to use AKC. You've just lost all of those fees you paid, and have nothing to show for it.

AKC papers also will never "prove" you are getting anything from registered parents. I know of people will have registered a litter, registering as having 8 puppies in the litter when there are only 2 (if any), and then slap those "extra" papers on other puppies that are in no way related to the original puppies. Not to mention that even if they are registered, it in no way guarantees quality of the animal....I've seen some of the poorest quality dogs that are AKC registered. People buy these puppies thinking beause they are registered, breed them, and pop out with Doberman puppies that look like Akitas....but they must be purebred and quality because they have "papers".

There are several new dog registries that have cropped up whose requirements are much more "lax" than the AKC, and those papers mean even less.

I don't know, I really like the idea if it were to stay as simple as it is originally designed, but too often things like this leave behind the well meant intentions and grow into their own monster. It seems to me that the Leo community in general is a pretty tight-knit and good bunch of people, and doesn't need this sort of intervention and regulation. But then I could be way off base.....but I felt the need to put my 2 cents in on my opinion of the AKC in general.

Old 01-22-2006, 04:42 PM   #17
Golden Gate Geckos
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulSage
as one of those "wannabes", I would most likely jump on the registry bandwagon if I saw a significant amount of the established/reputable breeders doing so.
After re-reading my comment, I realized it sounded condescending... but that's not what I intended. Sorry! What I meant was that there are just too many people out there that buy their geckos from 'Joe Blow', Petco, Petsmart, local reptile swap meets, and rescues, that could care less about the gecko's pedigree. Many of the geckos I have were acquired that very same way, and I have no clue as to their actual bloodlines.

The reason I am not jumping on the registry bandwagon is because I am pessimistic about how accurate it can be. Heck, I suppose anyone could register one of their rescues as coming from Albey's stock (example) if they wanted to get a registration for it. Gecko bloodlines are too diluted (or should I say 'polluted') to accurately keep track of.

When I purchase a gecko, I am always interested in it's lineage... but the main reason I buy is because I just plain old like the gecko and it's breeder has a good reputation.

Old 01-22-2006, 04:57 PM   #18
The NY Gecko
Quote:
When I purchase a gecko, I am always interested in it's lineage... but the main reason I buy is because I just plain old like the gecko and it's breeder has a good reputation.
which is why i dont buy or ever will anything from reptile auction or any place buy the big guys, such as you Marcia or Dan L. or Kelli. For the very reason you stated, except ill flat out say this, people can, will,and do lie about the origins of their animals or the bloodlines just to make a quick buck. for the simple fact of who oyu guysa re and what your reputation is its just unfathomable for me to thin kyou would do such a thing. not giving credit where it sint due am i?

Old 01-22-2006, 06:15 PM   #19
dragonflyreptiles
I can only say that I am not on the bandwagon to pay someone else to decide what I have.

I think its a good idea tos ome point like the AKC but there are years of preface to the ACK beginnings and documentation for years of breedings etc.

Id do it if it was free or by donation but not in the way of I have to pay you... and that is totally wrong of me since I pay the AKC for registrations.....

Old 01-22-2006, 09:47 PM   #20
Gecko_Den
Quote:
The reason I am not jumping on the registry bandwagon is because I am pessimistic about how accurate it can be. Heck, I suppose anyone could register one of their rescues as coming from Albey's stock (example) if they wanted to get a registration for it. Gecko bloodlines are too diluted (or should I say 'polluted') to accurately keep track of.
I'm confused Marcia(like that's hard to believe), but aren't you registered breeder #0016 on the Leopard Gecko Registry? Doesn't that mean you bought into the idea, or is it just a free link?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!