New beardie and eating - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-28-2012, 07:54 PM   #1
ShortStack
New beardie and eating

Hey yall, I got a hatchling beardie about a month ago and have a feeding question. She is eating crickets like a champ, but I can't get her to eat any veggies. I offer them daily, but they are just going bad in her cage because she refuses to eat them. I will even put her right by her food bowl when I put them in and she just goes back to her log. I've looked around on-line to see if it's normal for them to be stubborn about veggies, but can't really find anything. She doesn't seem to be losing weight, but I obviously just want to make sure she's having a balanced diet. I have a blue tongue skink and he was an awesome eater from day one, so this is totally new for me. I'm trying not to overworry, but want to get some opinions just to be safe. Thanks

Old 05-28-2012, 08:44 PM   #2
Darwin
Babies and juveniles typically will not touch vegetables. Darwin took a few nibbles when he was a baby, but, because I was persistent and kept offering him a small amount every day, he eats them regularly now that he's just over a year old. When they're still growing, they need plenty of protein so letting her have as many crickets as she wants for 10-15 minutes a couple of times a day until she's full should be the norm. I'd put a few leaves of veggies in there, cut into small pieces just to familiarize her with them, but wouldn't expect too much out of it. You can try to throw any uneaten veggies into the cricket bin for gutload.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:39 AM   #3
ShortStack
Thanks Guess she's just being a normal kid and refusing to eat what's good for her, lolol.

Old 05-29-2012, 01:12 PM   #4
mikepanzarella
a trick i used with the young beardies is cut up the greens and drop it on the plate in front of them they are attracted to the movement and will almost always atleast inspect it
(this was told to me by another fauna member but i am sorry i forgot what post and who it was)

Old 05-29-2012, 01:17 PM   #5
ShortStack
I may try that as well. I always take her food dish out, fill it, and put it back in. Thanks!

Old 05-29-2012, 06:13 PM   #6
angie.h
That's the way I do it, too Mike. I get my babies to eat finely shredded greens, usually from a week or 2 old. I drop the little pieces in small amounts, mustard, turnip greens, green leaf clover, and other soft leafy veggies. It works well, and all of my babies eat greens before 3-4 weeks of age. You can even try offering a few crix at first, then when the dragon is in it's little feeding frenzy, drop the greens in instead of another batch of crix. Little dragons usually will be voracious and gobble them up, then they decide that this green stuff tastes pretty good.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!