What to do for snakes if power is out? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 01-04-2005, 03:15 PM   #1
trkibbler
What to do for snakes if power is out?

We are getting ready to have an ice storm the last one we had there was people with out electric for weeks. I have 9 snakes and a bearded dragon does anyone have any suggestions on how to keep them heated if this happens?

Thanks
Rachael

Old 01-04-2005, 06:41 PM   #2
robin d.
this actually happened to us once we are not ready for it but two of our neighbors are campers so we were able to get a couple of camping heaters... we were just able to keep it around 70... since then we bought some large camping heaters to heat just in case... so far we havent had to use them

Old 01-04-2005, 06:52 PM   #3
old guy
Been through 5 ice storms and I'm in your

neck of the woods in Kansas but went through these storms while in the KC and Butler areas of Missouri . I have those heat pacs that they use for shipping that i throw in the cages. Also I have some of those camp propane reflector heaters. They produce some big BTUs for the size they are at around $10 for the reflector and what, $2 or $3 for the small propane bottles. Of course you don't use these in the cages but in the room. The worst storm was when we had our pet store in Grandview Mo. where we were without power for 2 days and we rented those BIG propane heater blowers ( 2 ) that throw out around 25,000 to 50,000 BTUs. We had one in the reptile room and in the area of our parrots. With propane ( in which we use now at our home for heat ) without a flu, you want to crack/open a window just a little bit if it is used in a closed room. Since all of those ice storms we also have those 12 and or 6 volt back-up battery car starters and tire air pumps that we attach a 200 watt ( youn can get more wattage but less time ) converter to run our cage lights ( bulbs ). Instead of the wall outlet you just plug the light bulbs plug into the converter that plugs into the back-up battery. So you can run up to 200 watts for about 12 hours or 100 watts for 24 hours. If it does what they say it's going to do in the next several hours weather wise, heck, I may be using all of those devices.

Old 01-04-2005, 08:21 PM   #4
Karen Hulvey
Wink

The Wednesday after Christmas at 11:30 p.m. my electric went off. Called the power Co. and there were electric lines down. She said shouldn't be more than an hour. Luckily I have tons of "hot hands" that are used for hand warmers. At the end of winter Wal-Mart puts them on sale for pennies and I buy about $30 worth every year. Good thing because the power was off for 1 1/2 hours and it was -12° outside! I put several in each snake cage and several in with my 4 baby cockatiels, 12 baby lovebirds and a bunch in my incubator (quail eggs). If the electric had been off any longer, I was going to start my truck and put as many animals as I could get to fit in there. My adult birds were all in their nestboxes so I didn't worry too much about them.

Thanks Mr. Old Guy(LOL), I'm gonna get a couple of those camp propane reflector heaters. I never even thought about them. DUH.

Old 01-04-2005, 08:44 PM   #5
trkibbler
Thanks everyone So far the storm on our end isn't to bad just rain for now. Karen & Old Guy how is the weather where your at?

Old 01-04-2005, 09:41 PM   #6
Ophis
Back up Generator

This is probably too obvious an answer, but you could use a small generator (2500 to 5000 Watts depending on your emergency power requirements) and a manual transfer switch. You could probably buy the generator, and have an Electrician install the transfer switch for under $1,500.oo this system could handle your herp heat loads plus a few other loads like a furnace, well pump, refrigerator, a lighting circuit etc...

Old 01-04-2005, 11:30 PM   #7
Karen Hulvey
Ophis, yeah, that's too obvious and too easy for me. Just kidding, LOL.

Rachael: I'm in southeastern MO and right now at about 10:30 p.m. it is 38° and raining. It rained hard almost all day and there are flash flood warnings out.

Old 01-05-2005, 08:10 AM   #8
trkibbler
Yah to obvious and to much money I rent my house and it is an older so it would be very expencive I already thought about that. That is why I asked if anyone had any suggestions.

Karen same here lots of rain they said the temp. was going to drop and turn to ice lastnight but nothing yet thank goodness.

Rachael

Old 01-05-2005, 01:02 PM   #9
old guy
We bit the big one this time and

I had to fire up the gas generator for heat in the farm home ! We have not had power on since 10:00 pm last night. By the way, I've got 3 space heaters and the puter running on this generator. ( you would think that I could be using something else hooked up to the gen, other than the computer ? LOL ! ). The snake room in the barn is at 45 ( I don't use ANY whole room heat at all ) degrees with internal cage temps at 65. The bird room in the barn is at 70 with the use of a space heater. So my gen. is running about 3.500 watts at this time but capable of another 1,500 watts. It runs for 8 hours at 3,500 watts with 4 gallons of gas. We are mired in with trees and tree branches still falling and they are literally stuck to the ground by 1 and 1/2 inch of ice. All Emporia businesses are closed down. We LOVE this though because i am always PREPARED for something like this ! > < I say to the weather . I always keep at least 40 or so gallons of water, a camp stove, the propane heaters, the heat paks, and have only used the gen 3 times in the past 6 years. Since we live in the country, we don't have those snoopy neighbors hearing the generator running in one of our outbuldings. A side note .>: with anybody considering a generator, you can buy a 4,500 watt gen , for around $400 now. I know that one may only use it like we have but you never know. With any large collection of animals it makes sense ? We just shut the main breaker down and plug a heavy duty extension cord coming from the generator to in the house and plug it in to one ( or more ) of the house outlets. If you don't hook it up this way , it is wise to have a non-reverse switch installed so the electric current doesn't reverse back to the electric source outside of your home so a lineman/electric company doesn't get buzzed. But they always have come knocking before repairs at the pole. But this is the reason you shut off your main box as well so that doesn't even happen. Any body in this " ice storm of the decade " they are calling it now, good luck.

Mike Chambers ( old guy )

Quote:
Originally Posted by trkibbler
Thanks everyone So far the storm on our end isn't to bad just rain for now. Karen & Old Guy how is the weather where your at?

Old 01-05-2005, 01:09 PM   #10
old guy
Oh by the way , price on generators

We bought ours at Sams Club for $600 6 years ago. I KNOW that there was a mass amount of generators used and new for sale after the Y2K hype ( remember that folks ? ). BUT the best time to buy one is in the summer, spring, fall and not the WINTER ! LOL !

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!