Need skink clarification - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Skinks & Tegus Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-03-2014, 11:25 AM   #1
Leopard Gecko Guy
Need skink clarification

Yes I was wanting to know if some1 could give me information on these skink species as to how many yellow stripes they have and if they are related to the African Blue Tailed skink (Trachylepis quinquetaeniata).

- Trachylepis laevis(Angolan Blue-Tailed Skink )

- Eutropis quadricarinata(Beautiful Mabuya of four-lined mabuya)

If any help, I would really appreciate it, as I'm doing a research project on these skinks. Thanks and hope you reply.

Sincerely, Chad Baker

Old 03-03-2014, 11:57 AM   #2
snowgyre
Hi Chad,

You may want to joint the HerpMapper Facebook group and ask for advice there. https://www.facebook.com/groups/580390605385553/

Old 03-03-2014, 12:13 PM   #3
Leopard Gecko Guy
I'm sorry, but due to my service plan with US. Cellular, I'm not able to use that connection or else I have to owe them $800 a month.

Old 05-08-2015, 09:05 PM   #4
NYCHerper
Hello Chad,

I study the evolution of the group of skinks you are referring to (family Lygosomatinae). Originally, this somewhat cosmopolitan group of skinks was classified under the generic name "Mabuya" which was later subdivided with the name "Mabuya" retained for South and Central American species, "Trachylepis" assigned to species from Africa, Madagascar & the Middle East, "Eutropis" for Asian species, and "Chioninia" refers to a handful of former mabuyine skinks found on the Cape Verde Islands (see Bauer, 2003).

The Angolan blue tailed skink is a beautiful but secretive skink that lives in rock crevices in arid southern Angola. It has a flattened body and orange head with a pointed snout that fades into an electric blue body overlaid with black latticework (photo: http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-ge...iled-skink.jpg). This animals closest relatives are other Trachylepis skinks from mainland Africa (>80 sp.).

The closest relatives to Trachylepis skinks is disputable at the moment. Molecular studies have suggested Mabuya and Chioninia, where as groups like Eutropis and Eumecia are possibly more distantly related, but still in the same subfamily.

Although skinks such as Trachylepis margaritifer, Trachylepis quinquetaeniata, Plestiodon and Eutropis quadricarinata are all within the same family (Scincidae) and share a similar "blue tail, orange head, black stripes" color pattern, it is not due to shared ancestry, and they are not closely related. Instead, something about this color pattern is ecologically advantageous (blue tails attract predators away from the important parts of the body like the head, or orange heads may lure prey closer to the mouth!). They have all independently evolved similar color pattern-strategies for survival across the globe. This "convergent evolution" is seen in many other reptiles, for example, the Eastern Hognose snake (Heterodon) found in the United States has an upturned snout and enlarged rostral scale for digging up eggs to eat and burrowing. The Madagascan hognose snake (Heteroliodon madagascariensis) has the exact same morphology for doing the same exact thing in Madagascar, but is in no way closely related to the Hognose snakes of the eastern US.

hope this helped!

Old 05-09-2015, 06:51 PM   #5
Leopard Gecko Guy
This thread has expired. Last date to except messages to this thread was March 5th 2013.

Old 05-09-2015, 06:53 PM   #6
Helenthereef
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopard Gecko Guy View Post
This thread has expired. Last date to except messages to this thread was March 5th 2013.

??? Your original post was 03-04-2014......

Old 05-09-2015, 06:56 PM   #7
Leopard Gecko Guy
Correction: Last date to except messages to this thread was March 5th 2014. Anyway it has expired.

Old 05-09-2015, 07:18 PM   #8
Helenthereef
Not wanting to make a thing out of this at all, so feel free to let it go, but as far as I know threads don't expire - sometimes people chip in years after the original post, especially if it's an interesting topic.

Anyway I have nothing to contribute about skinks, so I'll let this lie now

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!