What reptiles/amphibians can tollerate brackish water? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 08-18-2008, 08:56 PM   #1
Goanna
What reptiles/amphibians can tollerate brackish water?

I am setting up a large paludarium, a Brackish tank simulating a mangrove environment. It's going to house Archer Fish, Mudskippers, Mono's, Scats, and Stone Fish.

Since I need to keep the water at least a foot down from the top of the tank so the archers can spit at their food, and to provide some shelf areas for the mudskipper, I was thinking that I could possibly get some kind of arboreal reptile or amphibian in there as well.

Unfortunatly, I cant really think of any animal that can tolerate brackish/mangrove conditions other then a mangrove snake, and that's something that would try and eat the mudskipper(s) and possibly the fish, plus it's not the friendliest of animals to deal with for when I need to do tank maintainence.

If I go with amphibians, I need something that can tolerate brackish water. I was actually reading that White's tree frogs in the wild can be found in areas with brackish water but they may need to be slowly acclimated to it over time. Has anyone else here ever heard of that?

Old 08-18-2008, 09:58 PM   #2
bermrandy
try a elaphant trunk snake they like that kind of water.but get big over time.

Old 08-18-2008, 10:56 PM   #3
Goanna
Quote:
Originally Posted by bermrandy
try a elaphant trunk snake they like that kind of water.but get big over time.
Arent they fish eaters though? They might go after the other aquatic inhabitants.

Also, the Stone Fish are venomous, if the elephant trunk snake got too close that might not be good, lol.

Old 08-19-2008, 01:19 AM   #4
Bill Stonegate
I am definitely no authority on lizards, but I have seen hundreds of anoles in the mangrove swamps in Florida. I guess they would require fresh water misting, and a separate source of fresh water, as well as some UVB light, but I think it is a possibility.

Old 08-20-2008, 07:56 AM   #5
snakewrangler
Diamondback Terrapin

Old 08-20-2008, 12:48 PM   #6
Goanna
Quote:
Originally Posted by SethsExotics
Diamondback Terrapin
True, that might be an interesting inhabitant as well but eventually it would get too big. There's the asian soft shells also that are brackish, they stay smaller I beleive (smaller then florida or spiny softshells anyway).

I would need to incorporate a basking area into the design then, but it's a posibility.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!