New house and a home "snake" business - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 02-16-2008, 12:09 AM   #31
BryonsBoas
We lived in a mobile home park when I was growing up. My dad brought home a calf once. Kept it in the front yard for 2 months before moving it to the stables on Ft Benning. None of the neighbors minded at all and the folks that kept horses at the stables offered to buy it so it could stay at the stables. The neighbors thought it was neat and the horse owners wanted their horses around cows to get used to them.

I've seen chickens and goats kept in housing areas inside the city limits before. The new thing is housing areas described by the OP. They are building them out in the country area next to farms and large plots with animals. You can bet there will be covenants in every one of them.
I myself can't see paying $300,000 - $500,000 for a house and being forced to keep up the Jones's.

Old 02-17-2008, 08:51 AM   #32
Cat_72
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpman78
The covenants seem very wrong to me. They have such things as minimum landscaping requirements, no RVs, your house color has to be on the approved color list, etc.
They don't just seem wrong to me, they sem flat out crazy!

I suppose these are folks who enjoy living in a cookie-cutter society where everything is just so, and nothing will offend anyone (gosh, you want to paint your house Canary Yellow instead of Drabbest Gray? You're OUT, because yellow is just too unique and may cause a riot!)....but when it gets to the point where it is making it difficult for folks to find a place to live where they can actually do what they choose to do....well, I think it's nuts.

My sister in law lives in Omaha, and moved into one of those areas lorded over by a Homeowners society. They had no idea what they were really getting into until they lived there for awhile, and they couldn't wait to move out of there. It seemed their "rules" changed with the drop of a hat, and it was really run by a few select folks who just seemed hell-bent on the power trip of controlling what everyone else could and could not do. Maybe that's not the case eveywhere, but I will never understand it.

Maybe it's because I've been a country girl all my life (I lived in town for almost 1 year, and hated every minute of it, lol) where I don't have to ask for anyone's permission to keep a few chickens, or have THREE horses, or paint my house a bright, vibrant color....heck, if I wanted to, I could put a car up on blocks and leave it in my front yard forever, lol. Not that I would....but I know that I CAN, and it isn't hurting anyone.

And neither are my snakes.

Rant over........

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!