Akie, Timor, or Green Tree Monitor - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-13-2011, 12:49 AM   #1
ReptiJones
Talking Akie, Timor, or Green Tree Monitor

Hello All!

Thanks for stopping by my post! I am trying to find out which monitor would be the best for me. I do not want a huge reptile so tegus and savys are out of the question but i did find these! I want a monitor that i can hold, that is active, and that is relitively easy to tame. Taming isn't a big issue because i love to interact with my lizards so taking them out for a half hour every day is nothing. If you have any recomendations or maybe you want to make a pros & cons list to help me decide, it is all welcome.

Thank you!
Bryce

Old 07-13-2011, 12:57 AM   #2
Max713
I'd say Ackie, 100%.
Best starter monitor out there, I'd love to have a 1.1 pair...

Old 07-13-2011, 01:16 AM   #3
ReptiJones
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max713 View Post
I'd say Ackie, 100%.
Best starter monitor out there, I'd love to have a 1.1 pair...
They are pretty sweet. The down side to ackies are that they are pretty hard to get as babies aside from ProExotics lol

Old 07-14-2011, 10:00 PM   #4
The_Interloper
If you want something you can hold then go with Ackies. Timors are more skiddish and Green Trees should just be considered a display animal.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:15 PM   #5
James.w
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Interloper View Post
If you want something you can hold then go with Ackies. Timors are more skiddish and Green Trees should just be considered a display animal.
I agree 100% with this, otherwise get a bearded dragon.

Old 07-14-2011, 11:00 PM   #6
ReptiJones
Quote:
I agree. Although i have seen some green trees that have been tamed very well and love to come out and socialize I really want an ackie but they are hard to get lol

And i do not want a beardie lol I've never seen an active beardie once they are adults...they just bask. My main reason is that i just want a monitor though! haha and really an ackie is pretty similar to a beardie in some ways

Thanks for you oppinions guys!

Old 07-14-2011, 11:32 PM   #7
The_Interloper
I have 2 female Yellow Ackies and I absolutely love them! I rarely ever hold them but because I've built up a good trust with them, if I do take them out they are very chill about it.

I'm in the market for a nice male so when I do I will have babies in the future. Stay tune.

Old 07-15-2011, 12:22 AM   #8
ReptiJones
Quote:
I have 2 female Yellow Ackies and I absolutely love them! I rarely ever hold them but because I've built up a good trust with them, if I do take them out they are very chill about it.

I'm in the market for a nice male so when I do I will have babies in the future. Stay tune.
That'd be awesome! I had an offer from a guy named hummi22689 on a "red male yearling" for 175 so if your looking for a male you should go talk to him! I would've bought from him but i want a hatchling so that i can start taming asap and i want to experience them from a baby Btw your ackies look amazing! could you post some more pics of your ackies and their setup? That would be great

Old 07-15-2011, 09:52 AM   #9
The_Interloper
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReptiJones View Post
That'd be awesome! I had an offer from a guy named hummi22689 on a "red male yearling" for 175 so if your looking for a male you should go talk to him! I would've bought from him but i want a hatchling so that i can start taming asap and i want to experience them from a baby Btw your ackies look amazing! could you post some more pics of your ackies and their setup? That would be great
I did see that Red for sale and that was a good deal but I really don't want to mix the subspecies. But first things first I want to build my new enclosure, then I'll pick up a male. At the moment my 2 females are in a 50 gallon breeder. I made the background from foam insulation, Great Stuff and tile grout.
Name:  Ackie3.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  234.1 KB
Name:  Ackie5.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  170.7 KB
Name:  Ackiess.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  301.8 KB

Here's comical a video of them eating hornworms.
http://youtu.be/oxuuZiORd40

Old 07-16-2011, 10:17 PM   #10
ReptiJones
Quote:
I did see that Red for sale and that was a good deal but I really don't want to mix the subspecies. But first things first I want to build my new enclosure, then I'll pick up a male. At the moment my 2 females are in a 50 gallon breeder. I made the background from foam insulation, Great Stuff and tile grout.
Attachment 265091
Attachment 265092
Attachment 265093

Here's comical a video of them eating hornworms.
http://youtu.be/oxuuZiORd40

I like how they are together in all the pics! are they always together? I've heard that if you keep a couple of them together they are very interesting to watch! SO, that being said i'm going to get two atleast when i do get them.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
ackie, monitor, timor, tree