Crested Gecko Handling Question - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-26-2012, 11:51 AM   #1
KidBluey
Crested Gecko Handling Question

I've been reading up on Crested Geckos for quite awhile now and it seems they just might be quite fitting in my search for a new reptile since they don't need insects or heat. My question is, do cresties for the most part tolerate handling well? Just wanting to know because I may be getting one soon and it'll be my first one. Do they tolerate heavy handling a few times a week or every so often? I want something that I can handle from time to time but not something that I can handle for 5 minutes in then have to put it back to avoid stress and health issues.

Old 09-26-2012, 01:43 PM   #2
The_Interloper
Yes, I'd have to say that of all the gecko species I've kept, cresties are the most calm when handled. But keep in mind that every gecko has a different temperament. I have some that are so chill you have to peel them off when you're done holding them and then others that are complete freaks when you get them out of their enclosures and want to have nothing to do with you.

Old 09-26-2012, 05:41 PM   #3
defcon222
I've got one that's an absolute nut and won't have anything to do with handling. I also have a few that I hand fed from a hatchling and they're dog tame. Slowly and over time, some will let you hold them better than others. Excessive handling can also create problems, so you have to be careful. I generally try to handle mine 2-3 times a week and they seem to respond to that (I also feed them, so they may just be responding to the "Food Guy").

Old 09-29-2012, 09:26 PM   #4
Spyral
Depending on individual temperament, like mentioned above, they can be quite handleable. They can get stressed and drop their tails, which don't grow back, but many adults are calm and still have their tails.

I would give a new arrival a few weeks with minimal handling before doing longer sessions, even if you get one that is very calm, as a new home can be very stressful to adapt to.

Old 10-03-2012, 05:01 PM   #5
AJaxx91
Yes, but can be flighty!

Old 01-04-2013, 01:14 AM   #6
AGoodwin
My Gizmo loves to come out and hang with the hubby and me. When we open the tank he comes right to the top and climbs into our hand. Sometimes when I have him out I will hand feed him CGD or mashed banana and applesauce, most of the time though he just likes to hang out on our shoulder. We usually keep him out for 5-10 minutes. Sometimes hubby keeps him out a little longer as he does chores.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!