Inquiry: Mike Welker (Ocotillo Herpetofauna & Invertebrates) - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 12-27-2007, 07:20 AM   #1
hgrub
Inquiry: Mike Welker (Ocotillo Herpetofauna & Invertebrates)

I haven't contact them yet, but I need to hear some feedback before I contact them. I saw their ad on kingsnake.

Any comment on them? I'm planning to get several non CITES snakes from them; bullsnake, longnose, glossy, patch nose, etc.

I'll have to pay them first then have them ship to my exporter couple days before exporting date. So I need to know that they ship on time or not. And their snakes are healthy or not. It would be suck if the snakes refuse the food.

Those snakes will be for display in the zoo(own by government) here in Bangkok, so I don't want any mistake getting those snakes. If any mistake happens then I'll be shot...lol j/k

Thanks in advance
Thanapant Singhapant (T)

Old 12-27-2007, 07:16 PM   #2
Tim Cole
I cannot give

you any feedback on Mike Welker since I have never dealt with him. But I would like to comment on the species of snakes you are purchasing. All but the Bullsnakes are notorious for being difficult feeders unless you have feeder lizards.
Juvenile Patchnose will probably feed on mice and the Glossy might, but it would surprise me if the Longnose fed on mice. I have dealt with all of these and this has been my experience. Maybe Mike knows something I don't?

Just a heads up.

Old 12-27-2007, 10:20 PM   #3
lanceheads
I agree with Tim.
However, Longnose snakes will take mice readily when scented with lizards, actually very well.
Randal Berry

Old 12-31-2007, 11:51 PM   #4
danielsmn1
Longnose and rodents

I have a longnose that is taking rodents just fine. He did start with scented but has been great on unscented rat pinks....

Old 01-01-2008, 01:30 AM   #5
LadyViper
It's my understanding that Mike Welker is a commercial collector of wild caught native Texas Herps.

I would guess the results vary due to the animal and how much stress it can take.

You would have to ask Mike about a warrenty because wild caught snakes are always
a risk, if Mike feeds them for several months, treats them for parasites and offers a warrenty, you should be fine.

I do know Mike Welker actively speaks against HCU.

Personally, I do not support those vendors that actively campain against HCU.

Old 01-01-2008, 08:20 AM   #6
John E Dove
I would be sure to get everything in writing from Mr. Welker well in advance. What he will be sending, what guarantees he is offering, and be sure to research to be sure that nothing he is sending is a protected prohibited or endangered species.
He does collect from the wild so you should have a vet standing by to examine every specimen on arrival and be prepared to treat them for whatever ailments they might possess.
There was another thread on the BOI he was involved in where it was accused that many of the animals he sent to someone did not survive but Mr. Welker never saw that thread through to its completion so the eventual outcome is unknown.
Were I in the market for Wild Caught individuals I might consider seeking out Mr. Welker but would need everything in writing well in advance.

Old 01-07-2008, 07:30 AM   #7
Zonata64
Response to posts about me.

All,

I have worked with longnose, glossys and bulls for over twenty years. I have only recently kept mountain patchnose. Bullsnakes eat rodents no problem. Both glossys and longnose do take rodents. I only sell longnose and glossys that are feeding. The longnose and glossys that I have up for sale have all taken rodents. And that is frozen thawed rodents. Every mountain patchnose I have had has taken rodents no problem. The mountain patchnose I have for sale now is taking frozen thawed pinks. I only sell and offer for sale quality animals.

My guarantee is only live arrival and apparent good health when leaving my care. I recommend that all wild caught herps be treated with Panacur and Flagyl. I also recommend that fecals are run to be sure they are parasite free.

I am not a commercial collector. I am a herpetologist and wildlife scientist. I am presently working on a manuscript of our eastern indigo research in central Florida which we will be submitting to the Journal of Herpetology. I also co-authored a paper with Dr. Perran Ross that was just submitted (last week) to the Journal of Aquatic Animal Health. I am also the former head of the Herpetology Department at the Central Florida Zoo. And I am a Masters student at the University of Denver finishing my degree in Environmental Policy and Management. I also operate a herp breeding and acquisition business called Ocotillo Herpetofauna and Invertebrates. So no, I am not a commercial collector. I do sell wild caught herps, though, so I guess it depends on YOUR definition. My definition of a commercial collector is someone who goes out all the time and catches every herp they can find to sell it for money. They don't keep herps and they only collect herps for the money. LadyViper is a very gullible woman who believes the lies and slander spread by HCU members about me. If I were her I would not continue to make public slanderous statements about people or she could find herself in the middle of a slander lawsuit. LadyViper has never done business with me and she does not know anyone who I have done business with. So, really, she should have kept her mouth shut because she had nothing to offer in feedback as requested by the original poster. She is just trying to stir up negativity against me because I don't support her group. This tells you all you need to know about her. And guess what? I do not support HCU for multitude of reasons which are not relevant to this post.

Finally, I (and my former partner Mickey Arnold) did complete our post on this forum concerning the unpaid trade balance owed to us by Shaun Peavy of Kansas. We stated the facts and then chose not to be dragged into a debate by forum folks who wanted to be judge and jury over the whole affair.

I can provide a long list of satisfied customers to any potential customers. I explained my guarantee. I reviewed the food intake of the species in question. I fended off a trouble maker. I detailed my experience. I relayed the synopsis of my previous post on these forums. So if anyone has any further questions I can be reached at the email below.

Mike Welker
OHI2007@elp.rr.com

Old 01-07-2008, 07:39 AM   #8
Zonata64
Forgot to touch on this statement

All,

I do not sell illegal animals. All of my animals came from legal sources and are lawfully possessed.

Mike Welker
OHI2007@elp.rr.com

Old 01-07-2008, 08:47 AM   #9
Suncoast Herpetological
I give up...what is the HCU?

Old 01-07-2008, 09:34 AM   #10
Suncoast Herpetological
Found it...Herp Conservation Unlimited

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!