Hi, Im new to the hognose world... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Hognose Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-27-2006, 08:06 PM   #1
Bella17
Talking Hi, Im new to the hognose world...

Hi
Im not new to the site or anything, im just a ball kinda girl. But after i picked up my 3rd ball from BHB (brian Barczyk) He showed me some of his other stuff. He pulled out a bin, and out popped a little smushed face! i fell in love. SOO i want to get a hognose as my next snake, i have a couple questions.

Do you all like them as pets? are the docile? good eaters?(compared to ball pythons) Male or Female?? Will a 12.25gal tub hold one as a full grown? or could that hold two if i divide it with plexi glass??
And also, what is the most common hog out there? iv heard there are westerns and easterns, and several others. which is the best to have?? and why??

Thanks for any info you give, it will soon aid the next little fella i bring home!!

michelle

Old 06-27-2006, 08:47 PM   #2
ladyserpent7
first off..they are WONDERFUL pets to have...they are very docile snakes...mine got used to me very quickly..the first couple weeks she would get nervous when i picked her up out of her cage, but now...as soon as i touch her, she relaxes...about the eating...sometimes they tend to go on little hunger strikes as i call them and stop eating for a while...but its not something unusual for this type of snake...mine did that once when it was the first few month i got her...she stopped eating on me for four months..for no reason....but now...she NEVER misses a meal...its not really a big thing to worry about...it doesnt make them sick or anything..you should know..you have BPs.....i would definitely suggest a 20 gallon long...i personally wouldnt get them anything smaller than that...and the reason i say long and not regular is because the dont like to climb much...mostly dig..so the long gallon gives them more room....i would definitely suggest a western hognose..they are more common..and definitely better to have for your first hognose because they are easier to feed in most cases...easterns tend to eat amphibians more, which can be more expensive...westerns main diet is already rodents..so its easier....i hope this helps...if you have any other questions....feel free to ask....and welcome to the hognose forum

Old 06-28-2006, 12:20 PM   #3
unidaddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyserpent7
i would definitely suggest a 20 gallon long...i personally wouldnt get them anything smaller than that...and the reason i say long and not regular is because the dont like to climb much...mostly dig..so the long gallon gives them more room....
Great suggestion Rana, I have a 20 high and although I know it's total overkill for my baby right now, I get the feeling that I'll switch to a 20 long when he gets closer to full size.......he LOVES to burrow. I can heartily endorse a hognose (mines a Western, too) as a pet, very docile, nicely active, and mine so far is a terrific eater. I have three daughters that love to handle him too and he goes with the flow. (we wash our hands a lot just to be safe). I've read about eating issues with all types of hognoses, but it seems that Westerns have the fewest (they're fine with a solely rodent diet). Good luck.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!