Delta Dash Shipping Question - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 10-05-2011, 05:06 PM   #1
foxxmeow
Delta Dash Shipping Question

I have a terminally ill friend who is attempting to move cross country with her large iguana. She has a non-stop flight, and wants to ship her iguana Delta Dash. When she has contacted them however in regards to caging specifications, she has gotten conflicting information. Some other people have also called Delta on her behalf, and so far NO ONE knows exactly what must be done to "correctly" package up the lizard so that it will be accepted by the airlines and be able to pass through security.

Does anyone here have any experience with shipping a large lizard Delta Dash?

It will cause a whole lot of trouble if it gets turned away at the airport, and everyone is trying very hard to have this move go as smoothly as possible. Any help/information would be greatly appreciated!!!!

thanks!

Old 10-05-2011, 05:43 PM   #2
KelliH
Reptiles have to be shipped as cargo. Here is some info from the Delta website-
Quote:
Reptile, Amphibian, and Fish Containers
Reptiles, amphibians, and fish are only accepted as air cargo, not as carry-on or checked baggage. Shipments must comply with the container requirements of the current edition of the IATA Live Animal Regulations.
Reptiles, other than snakes, need to be placed in a container constructed of wood, plastic or corrugated material. For flight purposes, animals in this category include (but not limited to):
Caiman
Chameleons
Frogs
Geckos
Iguanas
Lizards
Newts
Salamanders
Toads
I've used them to ship geckos overseas many times and we used to use them to ship all of our snake shipments. I always packaged everything in the typical styrofoam insulated box with heat or cool packs. For an adult iguana that type of packaging really is not an option; I'm thinking it will have to be sent in some type of crate.

Old 10-05-2011, 05:49 PM   #3
foxxmeow
Yeah, I know the iguana will not be traveling in the cabin...but I need to make sure that the shipping container is exactly what "they" want, and so far I have not been able to find out what those specifics are. Was hoping someone on here had shipped a large lizard recently and could give some pointers.

Old 10-05-2011, 06:15 PM   #4
foxxmeow
Oops! forgot to add THANK YOU for replying!!! Didn't intend to leave that part out

Old 10-05-2011, 06:16 PM   #5
KelliH
OK, my husband just got home from work... He works at a large zoo in the herp dept and they regularly ship large lizards. He says it can be placed in a large bag and then packed inside a large enough styrofoam insulated box. There are not really any particular packing restrictions that he knows of.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:09 PM   #6
foxxmeow
Ok, well...I thought that was when a lizard was getting shipped through "the mail" such as fed-ex or ups or something..not when the lizard was riding in the "pet" compartment that some planes have. I was just faxed something from Delta that shows a box constructed of peg board (my guess is for ventilation) and has conflicting information as to IF the iguana must be in a bag or not. It states that small ones do, but then it has nothing for large ones. And the rep I spoke to says that the iguana must be able to be removed from the crate prior to actual shipping, but she knew nothing about bagged or unbagged and if it IS bagged, are they going to open the bag and take the iggy out? Sheesh! SO much hassle, all because no one has written down in ONE place all the regulations. Or if they have, I surely cant find it!! Thanks for asking your husband though

Old 10-05-2011, 08:20 PM   #7
KelliH
Yeah, I'm pretty positive that all non venomous reptiles can be shipped in styro boxes. You simply call Delta, book the flight, and drop the package off at the Delta Air Cargo counter about an hour and a half before the flight. I'm not sure why the Delta people are telling you about a crate... you could use one of the large styro boxes from TSK supply.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!