can you use spen shavings for W hognose? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Hognose Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-30-2006, 11:54 PM   #1
ilovesnakes
Post can you use spen shavings for W hognose?

I have a yearling female hognose and wanted to know if you can use aspen shavings instead of calci-sand and sand .And what is the size of a adult female hog.

thanks ,Rusty :eatpointe

Old 07-01-2006, 01:32 AM   #2
Clay Davenport
Aspen is in my opinion a far better substrate for hogs than sand.
I personally wouldn't consider sand for that species at all, it just has no benefits.

Old 07-02-2006, 03:56 AM   #3
Razaiel
Calci-sand is supposed to be bad for all reptiles - even lizards for which the vast part of its market is produced for.

I use hemp for my hoggy and know people who use aspen for their snakes and it's fine. Personally I like newspaper and paper towels for the rest of my collection as it's so easy to keep clean except for Hoggy who likes burrowing (and hiding in it sometimes) and my sav who needs topsoil - and lots of it!

Old 07-02-2006, 04:10 PM   #4
J. Clayton
I agree with the above replies. Aspen is fine for hognoses, who love to burrow. But the most economical route is newspaper. It would not hurt, if using n/p to put a folded piece or two extra in the cage, so the animals can have something to burrow into. Although hognoses do reside in fairly sandy areas, I would be very hesitant to use it. I cannot comment on the use of repti-sand or calci-sand products. Have nver use them. Also you migth consider adding a small open container of moist spaghnum moss or peat moss if your hognose is experiencing shed issues, or needs a place to lay eggs.

Old 07-04-2006, 02:52 AM   #5
ladyserpent7
i agree that you could use aspen but i know from experience that theres absolutely nothing wrong w/ sand...i use sand for my hognose and she loves it...she can easily burrow and sleep it in and there is sand that if digested doesnt effect them...and calci sand is supposed to have calcium for them...i still dont feed her in her tank cuz i dont want her to digest too much of it...but she still seems to love it..and its very easy to spot poop and clean up too....i use three different colors to make the terrarium look pretty too

Old 07-04-2006, 02:52 AM   #6
ladyserpent7
oh..and the sixe of an adult would be 2 1/2 to 3 ft long

Old 07-04-2006, 11:12 AM   #7
antisocial
i use aspen for cooling in the winter so they can burrow in to it but they never seem to they just lay on top. i use paper towel the rest of the year and often find them between the layers or under it. the advantage if paper towel is ease of clean up and unlike aspen or sand you can feed on it

Old 07-06-2006, 12:01 AM   #8
ilovesnakes
thanks everyone for replies and answers

Old 07-07-2006, 12:57 AM   #9
ladyserpent7
youre welcome...let us know what you get for her and how you like it

Old 07-08-2006, 02:48 PM   #10
ilovesnakes
Talking

I got her aspen shavings and she is doing great hopefully she will shed soon.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!