Is there such thing as "the perfect cage"? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 09-21-2004, 03:33 PM   #1
Stevefromsd
Is there such thing as "the perfect cage"?

Is there a perfect kind of cage? In terms of the snakes health that is. Both being the best kind of cage for controlling temperature and humidity etc.

Old 09-26-2004, 06:08 PM   #2
vscampbell
Perfect Cage

The perfect cage is one at my house with new snakes in it : - )

Other than that, I think I've seen every possible option and most work on some level. Seriously, I like acrylic enclosures with hinged tops for small snakes. Easy to get into and out of without disturbing the snakes. I like rope lights for heat under these cages. Cheap, flexible, provide a nice source of belly heat in the mid 80F range.

I like display cages because I like to look at my crew (30 to 50 colubrids). Some people have larger collections and need a more efficient setup to handle the numbers.

Val Campbell

Old 10-03-2004, 08:47 PM   #3
MGReptiles
I agree with Val.. All have there flaws and all are better for different snakes...

Old 10-04-2004, 01:51 PM   #4
TooManyBurmese
I now use Visions for my large burms. They hold in the proper heat/humidity levels, they are short in height, which I believe helps the snake feel a bit more secure than an open glass cage. At least with my own animals I see they're a bit less flighty now that they are out of glass cages. And they are made out of one piece of plastic! This helps so much when it comes time for scrubbing and cleaning!

Right now I have my first colubrids kept in 20g long tanks, which seem to work for them. Like the burms they ignore their hides and prefer under the paper. Fine with me, less money to spend on hides hee hee.

As for the rope lighting someone mentioned, could you describe it more? I did a search on it and I didn't find anything. Is this sold as a heating device or is it something you have found works for you? Right now I am using heat tape, but the light rope sounds better suited for my needs...

Old 10-04-2004, 02:46 PM   #5
vscampbell
Rope Lights

If you go to the lighting department of a hardware store, Lowes, Home Depot, etc. and ask for rope lights. They usually cost $10 for 18 lineal feet, burns about 100 watts of power, I think. Come in several colors, white red, etc. You can plug them in end to end, at least up to four, I think (read the package). I just run them under the ends of aquariums or acrylic cages. Make sure they get ventilation because they tend to build up heat and this harms the lights. I find that they provide a nice 80-85F of belly heat right over the end of a tank and thus a gradient for the little cold blooded beasts : - )

People usually use them above cabinets, under stairs, for outside decorations, etc.

Val Campbell

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!