Nutrition Content of Various Food Items - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-15-2011, 11:10 PM   #1
scaledverts
Nutrition Content of Various Food Items

Here's a cool website I found that has a ton of information about the nutritional content of various foods commonly fed to bearded dragons.

http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtrem...Nutrition.html

Some interesting stuff when you look at various food types and compare them.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:21 PM   #2
Jela's Phat Phibs
Hmmm...

So now I'm a little concerned about my mealworms. I was advised to keep my mealworms in wheat bran as this was the best substrate for them to eat, yet this site says that they should never ingest wheat bran. That said, if the mealworms are eating the wheat bran and the beardies are eating them, are they getting trace elements from the what bran that the mealworms are eating??

Old 02-16-2011, 08:11 AM   #3
frillielover17
They are getting some trace elements from the wheat bran but, if my memory serves me correctly, mealworms shouldn't really be offered to beardies anyway. Supeworms would be the better alternative. I've used mealworms in the past with bad results. Luckily it was just a case of the dragon not being able to digest them (despite high basking temps) and regurgitating them but others have wound up with impacted dragons from them (and I'm sure other factors as well).

Old 02-16-2011, 10:40 AM   #4
HecticLifeReptiles
Wow, thanks for the cool link. Really helpful. I would not recommend feeding mealworms to bearded dragons simply because their shells are harder than persay superworms. However, if you think you can handle dubia roaches, these are some of the best bugs you can give to your beardies & they come in all sizes! So you can feed from beardie hatchling straight to adult beardie! If yo have any questions about dubias and such, you can PM me directly. I have a colony, and when the weather warms, If you would like to try them out, i can cut you a deal!

Old 02-16-2011, 10:46 AM   #5
HecticLifeReptiles
Here is a link on nutritional values of roaches and other feeder bugs. Keep in mind that a varied diet for a beardie in feeder insects is actually very healthy and beneficial. Mine are fed a combination of dubias, superworms and waxworms, some of my adults are also given pinkies. http://www.theroachguy.com/new_page_1.htm

Old 02-16-2011, 11:09 AM   #6
Jela's Phat Phibs
Yes,

I am well versed on dubia. All of my dragons are offered them exclussively. I purchased the mealworms as I know alot of breeders offer these as treats and or to fatten them up. They are offered every couple of days and I am familiar that superworms are more nutritious. I was just touching on the fact that people recommend housing mealworms in wheat bran and this particular site says that the beardies should never have it.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:30 PM   #7
scaledverts
It also depends what else you feed your mealies. Mine get carrots etc for water. So this will help gutload them. If you look at the Ca:P ratio, mealworms are kind of high (although not as high as bran). I think the site is supposed to indicate that beardies should not be fed bran as a food source. Once it goes through mealworms, some of it will be converted to protein and fat in the insect and this is fine.

It is kind of interesting when you look at some of the things on the list. I.e. pork chop .... really .

Old 02-16-2011, 10:11 PM   #8
Jela's Phat Phibs
No doubt!!

My mealies only get carrots.

Old 02-16-2011, 11:44 PM   #9
HecticLifeReptiles
I feed my feeder bugs a combo of carrots, n leftover beardie salad. they tend to like both items equally oh I'm sorry didn't notice that we were exclusively talking about the wheat bran. I personally keep in oatmeal n whole grain cereal crushed up (like corn chex)

Old 08-25-2011, 03:21 PM   #10
scaledverts
Updated website address for nutrition content

http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!