If someone shipped to you this way, what would you do? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 07-07-2009, 02:56 PM   #1
Shadera
If someone shipped to you this way, what would you do?

I got the animals I wanted, but time will tell if they live.

Animals were shipped regular overnight to me, and spent about 25 hours in transit. They were packed in a regular box with no insulation, no padding except some cardboard pieces underneath and a couple padded envelopes on top, then the snakes were then packed inside in a cell phone box.

I took pictures as I opened the box, as soon as I saw there was no insulation and physically felt the interior of the box was hot. To describe it, it felt like standing in front of my incubator and opening the door, the way the heat rolled out when I opened that box. The animals are alive but even after taking them out of their bagging and putting them into quarantine tubs they still measured about 90 degrees on their outer skin with an infrared temp gun. I misted them and left them be in the dark with plenty of cool clean water. Anything else I can do in the meantime? The larger of the two looks to be in good health otherwise. Chance of neurological issues from the temps? Needless to say, if they pull through they're visiting with my vet.

Does this warrant at least an info thread on the BOI? What little feedabck they had previous was good so that's why I went ahead with the purchase. I expect no compensation, but do think others should be aware that this person thinks it's okay to ship sentient beings like this.

Old 07-07-2009, 03:06 PM   #2
TripleMoonsExotic
Yup. That warrants a BOI thread. Improper shipping is completely intolerable considering the wealth of information available online on proper shipping practices.

Old 07-07-2009, 03:14 PM   #3
h3llc4t
That's horrible. Good luck with them and yes, I feel that warrants a BOI thread.

Old 07-07-2009, 03:15 PM   #4
Shadera
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleMoonsExotic View Post
Yup. That warrants a BOI thread. Improper shipping is completely intolerable considering the wealth of information available online on proper shipping practices.
That's what I'm thinking. I passed along some helpful links as well as places to purchase the inexpensive supplies to ship properly just in case they didn't know any better. I get the impression they do, but benefit of the doubt and all that..

I post something up once I calm down a bit.

Old 07-07-2009, 03:21 PM   #5
jglass38
Shadera,

I would post it up. I would venture to say that the animals will be fine. If they were moving when you opened the box and are not clearly impacted from the heat (unable to move, unable to right themselves, rolling over on their backs) then they are probably ok. I had an incident quite a few months back and lost 2 snakes to overheating. However, dozens more were perfectly fine and the temps far exceeded 100 degrees. Not worth explaining the whole story but I moved them in bags in rubbermaids in a cargo van. I didn't anticipate the floor of the cargo van getting hot. Big mistake and lesson learned. In this case there is no excuse for shoddy packaging like that. Best of luck and feel free to call or email me if you need any help, advice, etc.

Jamie

Old 07-07-2009, 03:29 PM   #6
hhmoore
Guessing they are ball pythons? Species does matter, as tolerance to temps varies.
Is there a reason you are questioning their survival? Were they limp, inactive, doing anything unusual?
If they weren't displaying neuro symptoms when you unpacked them, there really isn't much reason for them to develop them. They start showing signs as the damage is occuring.
You said the larger of the two seems to be in good health otherwise...which begs the question, what's wrong with the smaller one?

BOI thread - it can be justified, as an informational post...but, personally, I would wait a bit. See what happens with the animals. And what the seller's response is; both when you inform him of the situation, and the outcome. (If you see new inquiries before you have those answers, you can always PM the poster with your story).

Old 07-07-2009, 03:43 PM   #7
Shadera
Thank you for the insight Harald. Yes, they are ball pythons. The smaller of the two was a freebie I was originally going to purchase but when he admitted a mistake and that he was off on her weight by half and offered me the chance to back out on her I did. He included her anyways, which I genuinely appreciate but then it does make me feel ungrateful in a way that I'm complaining about how they were shipped. The smaller was tightly coiled, but did move around enough to get an eye free of her coils to look at me. She's pretty thin and her backbone prominent. The larger (500 grams or so) was flailing around until she was unbagged but to be honest I'd be flopping around trying to get out of there as well. When I misted her, she had little problem moving her body around to get a good strike at me if she'd have gotten a chance. I'm sensing she's very stressed and a bit frantic.

I've just never had anything anywhere close to this happen before and am a bit freaked out myself. Most of it is shock I admit, but I'm one of those people who obsess over animals they ship and grind their teeth until they hear all is well. My foremost concern is for these critters, and I am just unsure as to what might manifest later with heat damage. I suppose I'll just wait and watch them closely for anything odd. I felt horrible just plopping them into tubs and leaving them, but I really feel they've been through enough for a day.

I guess I just need an e-hug today.

Old 07-07-2009, 03:50 PM   #8
TripleMoonsExotic
eHug...cute...

If one or both has a neuro problem from the overheating, the snake(s) can still live a healthy, "happy" life. I have a CA Boa Constrictor here who had something similar happen to her when she was a neonate. She's now full grown and very healthy outside her loopy-ness.

Old 07-07-2009, 03:56 PM   #9
Shadera
Quote:
shadera, I have sent hundreds of snakes regular overnight – you are the first to complain about that and my packing skills. there are many ways to skin a cat, and styrofoam boxes are but one shipping method, and one I do use when I deem it necessary. I actually think the other way I pack snakes to give more protection, and absorption, and climate control. but you know what you know and think that the only way. you go on to lecture me... a complete stranger to you, actually using the words “shame on you” - I’m sorry, I’ll not interact with you on that level.

feel free to ship the snakes back to me. I’ll reimburse you.
I guess I have my answer. He DOES know better. If I'm the first to complain, the other shipments have just been lucky. A cell phone box for God's sake.

Again, I am not looking for any money outta the guy. There's no way I'm shipping them back to him after what they've endured because of him. I will post my thread with pictures later.

Old 07-07-2009, 03:59 PM   #10
jglass38
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagickalMorphs View Post
I guess I have my answer. He DOES know better. If I'm the first to complain, the other shipments have just been lucky. A cell phone box for God's sake.

Again, I am not looking for any money outta the guy. There's no way I'm shipping them back to him after what they've endured because of him. I will post my thread with pictures later.
Wow. I don't know anyone that ships snakes regular overnight. That means they could sit in the sweltering hot back of a delivery truck around 4:30 in the afternoon. It's irresponsible and obviously meant to save the seller a few bucks. I wonder, did he pass that savings on to you? Padded envelopes and a cell phone box? Is he joking?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!