OT: Anyone want Gmail? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-03-2005, 03:16 AM   #1
Herpcam
OT: Anyone want Gmail?

I know it's off topic, but I figured I'd offer it to my friends, so here you are. If anyone wants a Gmail account, let me know. I'll send the invite right away.

Take care

Old 03-03-2005, 03:19 AM   #2
Manhattan Herps
Rob, what exactly is "Gmail"? lol

Old 03-03-2005, 03:42 AM   #3
reptilebreeder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Herps
Rob, what exactly is "Gmail"? lol
Thats the new free e-mail that the google guys started, to compete with hotmail, yahoo, etc., right now I guess it's still in the "invite only" stage, for testing, I guess. I heard when it was coming out that they actually scan the contents of the e-mail, so that they can send you "pertinent" advertisements. Haven't tried it myself, don't know how invasive it is.

Old 03-03-2005, 08:21 AM   #4
Herpcam
Oh, I'm sorry....

Gmail is Google's somewhat-new free email service. It's much like hotmail, yahoo mail, or any of the others, but I (and many others) believe it's better. They give you 1GB of storage, which is more than most or all of the others, and the interface is very nice and well thought out. It is invitation only, because it's still in 'beta', but seems to be pretty near completion.

I'll just need your email address for anyone who wants to sign up.

You can read more here - Gmail Info

Old 03-03-2005, 08:35 AM   #5
Manhattan Herps
well here's mine

Hazerdhacker@aol.com

Old 03-03-2005, 08:40 AM   #6
Herpcam
Quote:
Originally Posted by reptilebreeder
I heard when it was coming out that they actually scan the contents of the e-mail, so that they can send you "pertinent" advertisements. Haven't tried it myself, don't know how invasive it is.
All of the email services are scanned by their host companies. Gmail simply puts a few targeted text ads on the right side of the screen while you're looking at your emails. It's not as annoying as a flashing banner on the top or sides of the screen as on the other services. It's about as bad as when you do a search for 'leopard gecko' on google and two text ads, ebay and reptilecaremagazine.com are displayed on the right side of the screen.

As far as invasiveness, your email is scanned all over the place, for viruses, spam, and content....and it's all done with computers, not some geek behind a screen reading your email. If you've got issues with any person or system seeing what you're doing, you're probably not using a browser-based free email service in the first place.

Here's their privacy policy.

Old 03-03-2005, 08:50 AM   #7
GeckoTracks
sounds interesting enough to try it out.
Silverwhitewolf@hotmail.com

Thanks Rob

Old 03-03-2005, 10:29 AM   #8
Herpcam
Sent them. Anyone else?

Old 03-03-2005, 10:50 AM   #9
MattP
My email is matt@royalgecko.com. I've wanted to sign up for a few months now.

Sign me up!

Thanks,
Matt

Old 03-03-2005, 12:05 PM   #10
reptilebreeder
Rob,
Thanks for answering about the advertising issue, I knew it wasn't some geek checking every e-mail , just didn't know how "intrusive" it was, sounds no worse than any of the others, maybe even a bit more tolerable than the big banner ads. I'd like to give it a try
imsilentjohn "at" aol.com
Thanks
John

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!