Marine Toad leaking poison - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 09-02-2019, 02:29 PM   #1
mdeford09
Marine Toad leaking poison

Been raising these for a while and never seen these before. One of my girls pores has been leaking poison for 3 days. I have wiped it off and cleaned the area several times. I have not noticed anything in the pore or anything that looked inflamed. Within a few hours, it is leaking again.

She is eating great. She is acting normal. No major changes in behavior. (let's be honest, their behavior is mostly sitting until food is in their face).

One thought is that I recently put some new top soil in the enclosure and it was more sandy than usual, perhaps sand got in and it is causing inflammation?.. Maybe it is normal and I have just never seen it in the 8 years I've worked with these toads?... My biggest concern is that it's a precursor to something bad.

Spoke to the local vet and, while he has taken care of one of my toads before, he was stumped on it and said he would look into it.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-02-2019, 02:30 PM   #2
mdeford09
Hmm, I attached a photo but it doesn't seem to be showing up. I will post it on another website and just provide the link.

Old 09-02-2019, 02:34 PM   #3
mdeford09
wow... Didn't realize it was going to load the full res of the image.. and I can't edit it....

Old 09-13-2019, 07:53 AM   #4
Aguerro
Never seen this before. Do you think this is fatal for the toad if not treated?

Old 09-13-2019, 08:38 AM   #5
mdeford09
So far, it is has not proven fatal. Her personality never changed so I don't think it was something physically harming her. She ate nonstop and would chase food around her enclosure.

It seems to have fully stopped. I ended up changing the top soil to a new brand that was much less sandy. I also let her swim in her pool for quilt a while and that removed a lot of sand from her body. A couple days after doing so, it stopped leaking.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!