The BOI will be coming to an end on 02-02-2020 - Page 14 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 02-23-2019, 07:41 PM   #131
Lucille
A lot of what makes Fauna a community rather than a mere commercial site site comes from the BOI and the forums. While the risks inherent in running the BOI have been discussed at length, are there any additional risks/expenses connected with running the forums?

Old 02-23-2019, 07:46 PM   #132
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasodama View Post
I can see doing away with some, or most?, forums but, honestly, I would hate to see all of them disappear.
Maybe you could just condense some of the separate forums into one. At least for a time? Then see how that goes.
I will be keeping an eye on the discussion forums and do what seems prudent when the time comes.

Honestly though, does it really make much difference if 10 discussion forums are not being used, or a conglomeration of them merged all into one large forum still not being used? Seriously, some of those forums have been online here for nearly 17 years. Does anyone really believe they will suddenly turn around NOW at this late date?

Old 02-23-2019, 08:08 PM   #133
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
Which might very well mean that all general discussion forums can go away as well

Quote:
one large forum
There's a big difference between zero and one, and the discussion non reptile forums have smaller than the BOI but persistent use.

Quote:
I will be keeping an eye on the discussion forums and do what seems prudent when the time comes.
Absolutely. The overwhelming majority of readers agree that you need to do what is best and most prudent according to your judgment, and I agree with that also.

Old 02-23-2019, 08:18 PM   #134
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
A lot of what makes Fauna a community rather than a mere commercial site site comes from the BOI and the forums. While the risks inherent in running the BOI have been discussed at length, are there any additional risks/expenses connected with running the forums?
No, not that I am aware of. But it makes the site apparently too complex for some people, and is an obvious waste of screen real estate when loading the site to your browser. And obviously uses up server resources unnecessarily.

Old 02-24-2019, 02:21 AM   #135
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
There's a big difference between zero and one, and the discussion non reptile forums have smaller than the BOI but persistent use.
Quite likely the way I would handle it is somewhat how I have stated I will handle the Chuck Kimmel's "What's Cooking?" Kitchen forum, in that if a couple of months go by without any posts in a particular forum, then I will consider it as dead wood and eliminate it from the site. Just taking a casual look around I can see several already that would be qualifying for that axe.

That sort of puts the burden on the membership to show me that a forum they wish to remain here actually does so by proving that it is being utilized.

That seems fair, doesn't it?

Old 02-24-2019, 07:11 AM   #136
Lucille
Absolutely.

Old 02-24-2019, 09:29 AM   #137
James L
Since I don't contribute, I can't see the boi anymore. But a day ago, I could. Now it's gone again and can only be read by those who have paid. Will it be kept up to read in the future so people will be able read if they aren't a contributor? That would be much appreciated especially to those like myself who have good feedback and have contributed in the past. It's fine that I can't add to it. Just want to be able to see. Not sure if this has been covered in this thread. Haven't read every page.

Old 02-24-2019, 10:49 AM   #138
Robert Walker
Quote:
Originally Posted by James L View Post
But a day ago, I could. Now it's gone again and can only be read by those who have paid.
Here you go James
Quote:
FYI, for anyone who has noticed, I am changing permissions in the BOI forum whereby some days regular members and visitors can see thread topic lines, or both thread topic lines and thread content in the BOI. But posting by regular members will not be re-enabled at any time.

Old 02-24-2019, 12:24 PM   #139
James L
Thank you, Robert

Old 02-24-2019, 07:22 PM   #140
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by James L View Post
Since I don't contribute, I can't see the boi anymore. But a day ago, I could. Now it's gone again and can only be read by those who have paid. Will it be kept up to read in the future so people will be able read if they aren't a contributor? That would be much appreciated especially to those like myself who have good feedback and have contributed in the past. It's fine that I can't add to it. Just want to be able to see. Not sure if this has been covered in this thread. Haven't read every page.
Sorry, but no. By leaving the threads in the BOI visible, I would still be subject to the threats of lawsuits from people wanting posts about them removed. So it just points back to the original reason for this step: Too many people have stopped supporting the BOI with not only their contributions, but also with even their continued participation on this site. A lot of people, apparently like yourself, have stopped contributing here, and unfortunately this is the direct result.

The BOI has always been based on the premise that it had the support of the majority of the herp industry/hobby. Not only from a financial standpoint, but from the premise that the power of peer pressure would force "bad guys" to change their ways, or else die on the vine because their wrong doings made their business plan melt away under scrutiny by a substantial portion of their prospective customers. So it is not only the financial support lacking that makes this an unsound business plan for me, but it is also just as obvious that the BOI no longer will have the power to be effective without the numbers of people needed to provide effective peer pressure.

I doubt that this will turn around, unfortunately, even just based on what I have seen statistically since February 2, 2019. Which means, sadly, that on February 2, 2020, the BOI will be officially gone to everyone.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!