Can we please get a separate category for hognose snakes. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 08-20-2019, 03:14 AM   #1
NWfancyscales
Can we please get a separate category for hognose snakes.

I am always looking specifically for garter snakes on this thread, and I want to browse everything without possibly missing something from the search option.
This category is so over flooded with western hognose posts that finding anything garter snake related is like finding a needle in a hay stack.
I hope I am not the only person who feels this frustration.
Please feel free to add replies if you feel the same, hopefully creating some momentum in getting this change implemented.

Thanks for your time!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Old 08-20-2019, 07:47 AM   #2
snowgyre
I think this is a reasonable request, I've noticed this too. Free bump to the top for attention.

Old 08-20-2019, 08:04 AM   #3
bcr229
Thread moved to Feedback forum.

Old 08-20-2019, 12:46 PM   #4
WebSlave
Well, let's look at some details concerning that Hognose, Garter, Water & Ribbon Snakes classifieds section.

I counted 18 ads there that were NOT hognose related over 5 pages dating back to 08-03-2019. If the hognose snake ads were removed, that would leave those 18 ads remaining which would not even fill the first page of ads from over the past 17 days.

Seriously? Would that be a logical and reasonable move on my part to gut that forum of the ads that are primarily responsible for nearly all of the traffic there? And then leave another forum that would be, for all intents and purposes, pretty much dead?

In my opinion, the "Garter, Water & Ribbon Snakes" component of that section just does not warrant having their own separate forum based on the quantity (or lack thereof) of ads for those groups of animals. Matter of fact, quite likely they did have their own separate section years ago, but were combined with the hognose section simply for the fact that the quantity of ads just did not support the notion of their having their own separate section. In the past I have often combined slower traffic classified sections into a combination grouping for this very same reason.

The goal (at least from my perspective) is to have the separate forums active enough such that potential advertisers will see the traffic as being active enough such that they feel paying for their own sponsorship there, which helps to support this site financially, would be a reasonable plan for them. Sure, I could have a separate section for every species, if I were so inclined, but personally I don't think that would be a very smart nor reasonable move on my part. All it would do would be to increase the complexity of the site in general without any return on the effort of maintaining a much more complex arrangement. Would 500 classified forums with nearly no traffic to them individually be a better arrangement than having 29 classified forums with even some modest traffic associated with them? Honestly, some of those classified forums could be reduced even further, based on the lack of traffic they attract. That is just the nature of the beast these days.

So as it now stands, obviously the "Hognose, Garter, Water & Ribbon Snakes" classifieds section doesn't have the traffic there that warrants more than one person having the inclination of being a sponsor there. So why in the world would I want to break that up into two sections that would have even less traffic, one of which would be pretty much dead right from the start?

Sure, I understand that someone LOOKING for something like an amelanistic garter snake would like nothing better than to just have a separate section dedicated to nothing more than what THEY are looking for. But there is a bigger picture here, I am afraid. One which I really have to keep in mind at all times.

So, if you look at the BIG picture here, is my logic faulty?

Old 08-20-2019, 01:29 PM   #5
NWfancyscales
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
Well, let's look at some details concerning that Hognose, Garter, Water & Ribbon Snakes classifieds section.

I counted 18 ads there that were NOT hognose related over 5 pages dating back to 08-03-2019. If the hognose snake ads were removed, that would leave those 18 ads remaining which would not even fill the first page of ads from over the past 17 days.

Seriously? Would that be a logical and reasonable move on my part to gut that forum of the ads that are primarily responsible for nearly all of the traffic there? And then leave another forum that would be, for all intents and purposes, pretty much dead?

In my opinion, the "Garter, Water & Ribbon Snakes" component of that section just does not warrant having their own separate forum based on the quantity (or lack thereof) of ads for those groups of animals. Matter of fact, quite likely they did have their own separate section years ago, but were combined with the hognose section simply for the fact that the quantity of ads just did not support the notion of their having their own separate section. In the past I have often combined slower traffic classified sections into a combination grouping for this very same reason.

The goal (at least from my perspective) is to have the separate forums active enough such that potential advertisers will see the traffic as being active enough such that they feel paying for their own sponsorship there, which helps to support this site financially, would be a reasonable plan for them. Sure, I could have a separate section for every species, if I were so inclined, but personally I don't think that would be a very smart nor reasonable move on my part. All it would do would be to increase the complexity of the site in general without any return on the effort of maintaining a much more complex arrangement. Would 500 classified forums with nearly no traffic to them individually be a better arrangement than having 29 classified forums with even some modest traffic associated with them? Honestly, some of those classified forums could be reduced even further, based on the lack of traffic they attract. That is just the nature of the beast these days.

So as it now stands, obviously the "Hognose, Garter, Water & Ribbon Snakes" classifieds section doesn't have the traffic there that warrants more than one person having the inclination of being a sponsor there. So why in the world would I want to break that up into two sections that would have even less traffic, one of which would be pretty much dead right from the start?

Sure, I understand that someone LOOKING for something like an amelanistic garter snake would like nothing better than to just have a separate section dedicated to nothing more than what THEY are looking for. But there is a bigger picture here, I am afraid. One which I really have to keep in mind at all times.

So, if you look at the BIG picture here, is my logic faulty?
As a general user I dont have the power to look into logistics and the data of traffic to each individual thread. That being said, this wasnt an attack against the site by any means. It was a suggestion based off of a frustration, I, as the user have. It does make some sense but my reasoning is more based on the rising popularity of hognose snakes. Would you put a category listing Ball pythons and Woma pythons? Sure it's not as big as ball pythons but it is seemingly flooded with a high ratio of hognose posts.
My further suggestion would be that garter, ribbon and water snakes be merged with Gopher and Bull snakes.
Sadly all above categories are not as popular as they should be since they are arguably some of the coolest colubrid species let alone herps.
I have also noticed that among enthusiasts there is a common denominator with bull, gopher, garter, ribbon and water snakes.

Only trying to give feedback to potentially optimize the flow of the forum. Remember us little guys with the off species enthusiasts still matter and I wanted to be a voice for said community. I would absolutely love to see the number of garter snake keepers grow and hopefully other herp enthusiasts see how awesome they are.

I'm definitely not expecting a change over night, but perhaps something to consider.

Thanks for your prompt reply and hope everyone has a swell day.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Old 08-20-2019, 04:29 PM   #6
WebSlave
Certainly if the class of Garter, Water & Ribbon Snakes were to increase concerning classified ads, it would make perfect sense to provide them with their own space here. But best as I can tell, we aren't there yet. And to be perfectly honest, I'm not sure at this late date whether there is even a chance that will ever happen considering the general traffic trends here lately.

And since you brought this to my intention, then yes, perhaps the Hognose snake classified ads do qualify for having their own separate forum. But all that would mean is that I would have to move the Garter, Water & Ribbon Snakes somewhere else, which I can certainly consider. It may well be that I can take one or more sections and just roll them all together into the "Other Snakes" category if they are not pulling their weight in the amount of interest they are generating with the membership. Any classified forum not getting enough classified ads to fill the front page in a single day will certainly be under the microscope for such a change.

Along those same lines, I am seriously just taking all the discussion forums and simply consolidation them into "General Snake Discussions", "General Lizard Discussions", etc... None of them are getting enough interest and traffic to warrant them remaining here as standalones, so why not? I certainly don't break down the other animal groups (mammals, birds, insects, etc.) into that sort of level of detail, so perhaps even consolidation to the level of "General Reptile Discussions", might be a change worth considering. Maybe when the BOI goes away I will plan on doing some hopefully rational such changes throughout the site, since I will be whacking with the machete anyway.

BTW, sorry if it appeared I considered your suggestion an attack. Couldn't be further from the truth. My fault, as I just do not tend to have a very gentle "bedside manner".

Old 08-20-2019, 05:34 PM   #7
Lucille
Quote:
I just do not tend to have a very gentle "bedside manner".
Quote:
I will be whacking with the machete anyway.

Perhaps if you could hide the machete in the closet just while the nicer guests are here.....

Old 08-20-2019, 06:12 PM   #8
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
Perhaps if you could hide the machete in the closet just while the nicer guests are here.....
Sorry, but I am an equal opportunity service provider...

Old 08-20-2019, 07:07 PM   #9
Socratic Monologue
I sympathize with the OP's request, and I support (and fully expected) Rich's response.

I used the search feature to look for garters in that forum, and did pretty well. It missed one recent one I think because the search feature didn't look for "garters" when I searched for "garter".

When I look in the geckos forum for AFTs, or the amphibians forum for dart frogs, I use the search feature and it works fine; these situations are similar to that in the hognose forum, I think.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!