Accepting Credit Cards - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 04-24-2006, 01:44 PM   #1
Bar None Reptiles
Accepting Credit Cards

I am looking into the possibility of accepting credit cards at shows. But there is just so much out there and all of it is confusing. Does anyone else accept credit cards at shows? How did you go about deciding who to use? What type of machine to purchase, if any? Do you find it increases your sales by enough to make it worthwhile? Any and every type of input welcome.

Old 04-24-2006, 01:59 PM   #2
norsmis
I am contemplating this also. I did a little research and they are expensive and cant really justify the cost until I produce more animals or get into higher end morphs. This would definitely be a must have when dealing with high end morphs. WHo carries around $5000 at a show?????

Old 04-24-2006, 02:05 PM   #3
Scott Ashton
Paypal is offering a way to phone your payment.

Check out this thread:

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...ad.php?t=78651

Old 04-24-2006, 02:34 PM   #4
PerfectPetPython
I have been looking into it too. I HATE paypal, so that wasn't an option for me.
What I did find was http://2checkout.com/
You pay an upfront cost of like $50, then 5% of all sales I believe...I paid the amount, I am just having a hard time figuring out how to place it on my website.

Oh, you were asking about shows not websites hmm... I did find http://cardservicesales.com/, they seem to be cheap and their customer service is awesome. I actually applied and was accepted and they called me, but I haven't called them back yet, I'm waiting to figure out 2checkout, and just use them as a backup incase I give up.

Old 04-24-2006, 02:57 PM   #5
Scott Ashton
One that I've looked at is through Intuit (think QuickBooks).:

http://www.quickbooksmerchantservice...it_hp_promo_ms

Old 04-24-2006, 03:12 PM   #6
Golden Gate Geckos
I accept major credit cards through a merchant account with Costco called Nova Systems. I did not purchase any equipment, but did buy their software. When someone makes a credit card purchase at a show, there is an 800 number I can call to get approval and 'force' the amount of the sale. This will hold that amount in their account for 72 hours for me until I get home or use my laptop to enter the information, and I just use the old-school method of swiping their card.

Old 04-24-2006, 03:45 PM   #7
Bar None Reptiles
WOW!! Thanks for all the input so fast! I checked out cardservices.com and gave them a call. They were alot better than the other companies I have been talking to. Reasonable rates and fees and even pricing on the machines. I have yet to decide still but so far it's looking good. Thanks again everyone.

Old 04-24-2006, 09:19 PM   #8
PerfectPetPython
cool! I have yet to call them back.
I always dread going to shows because I know I will find a high end animal that I want, but I cannot carry the cash with me, and my debit card has a limit of $300 per day. I HIGHLY doubt anyone would take a personal check. I need to get a credit card!

Old 04-25-2006, 12:14 AM   #9
Bar None Reptiles
My debit card only has a limit of $200. That's annoying. I have taken personal checks, very few, but I am extremely picky who I take them from and they must have a drivers license number and phone number to go along with it. So far so good, keeping my fingers crossed because I just dropped some in the bank today. But I just don't like the risk. I am definitely going to get a credit card machine going. It would just make things so much easier. I lost some good sales this weekend because I didn't have one and the ATM at the location was broken. With any luck it will have paid for itself within a few transactions. cardservices.com so far is looking really good.

Old 04-26-2006, 03:22 PM   #10
Dachiu
Hmmm... I use Card Payment Systems which was just bought out by National Payment Systems (division of Wells Fargo Bank). I purchased a ground unit like they have at any store (don't remember how much $) and received a free old-school, carbon copy swipe thing too - which we can use at a show. I feel their % for phone orders is fair at 0.025700.
We typically do not accept credit cards at shows. If we do, Rob makes that decision according to the situation. He'll call me and Ill run it from home. We don't use the swipe thinger - I got burnt once and the phone # and drivers license # did no good.

V.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!