Jamaican Boas Breeding - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-10-2014, 09:59 PM   #11
cguarino30
Feeding #6 was today.

My nine designated holdbacks were each given a quail chick. They look to be about ready to me, but in the morning we will see how they feel about it. Anyone who doesn't eat their quail chick will be offered a chick thigh tomorrow. Hopefully, this way, nobody will miss a feeding, but we will have to see if anyone refuses the chick thigh out of spite.

The 16 other good eaters were all given a chick thigh and a pinky. I'm hoping to see a lot of disappeared pinkies in the morning, but I'm not too concerned about it. I mostly just want to see fat, little snakes. haha

The non-feeder that ate an anole last week was given a chick thigh, in the hopes that now that he/she has started eating, a conversion can be made onto chick thigh. If that does not work out, I will move one of the two remaining anoles into that cage tomorrow.

The two who still have yet to eat anything were given a chick thigh, a quail chick, and still have their live anoles, because at this point, I'm pretty much just taking shots in the dark in the hope that something gets them to eat. I'd cook them spaghetti if I thought that would help. Fingers crossed on these guys.

I'll update again in the morning to share the results of these various experiments. I have been debating whether or not these guys are ready for sale, as the Hamburg Reptile Show is coming up next Saturday, but I'm uneasy about it with the degree to which these guys have been getting stressed. If changing the bedding will make them go off feed for a week, I have to think that getting put into a deli cup, driven to a show, sitting on a table all day, and then being brought to a new home might be a bit much for them. Right now, I'm thinking it may be best to hold on to them for a little while longer. As much as I'd like to free up the time and space (and put a little money into the feeder fund, haha), there is definitely an additional responsibility here with the ecological status of the species, not to mention the rareness of the species in this state.

Anyway, just in case I've started boring everyone, here's a sneak preview of next year's attempt at breeding. Introducing my other female, Lucea.
Attached Images