Jamaican Boas Breeding - Page 17 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-20-2014, 12:14 PM   #161
cguarino30
Here are some updated pics, as promised. These first four are of Escapees 1-4, in order. The shots were all taken inside their tubs with a flash, so the colors are not great, but you can get an idea of the general development.
Attached Images

Old 11-20-2014, 12:17 PM   #162
cguarino30
and these shots were all taken in full spectrum lighting with no flash. They are all of the same animal, Holdback #4, who was in a good enough mood that I was actually able to handle her (sexed purely through delusional optimism) for the photos. You can actually see where some yellow has started to come through, as well as some well defined blacks in some of the scales.
Attached Images

Old 11-20-2014, 01:58 PM   #163
toddnbecka
Pretty little pretzels, lol. Aside from the size at birth, they sound pretty typical of other baby tree boas. Some will start out eating rodents, others have to be fed lizards then switched over. When they get a little larger you might try sexing them visually. Males typically have longer tails than females; though that's not 100% reliable, it's at least an educated guesstimate.

Old 11-20-2014, 02:08 PM   #164
cguarino30
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddnbecka View Post
Pretty little pretzels, lol. Aside from the size at birth, they sound pretty typical of other baby tree boas. Some will start out eating rodents, others have to be fed lizards then switched over. When they get a little larger you might try sexing them visually. Males typically have longer tails than females; though that's not 100% reliable, it's at least an educated guesstimate.
I don't have much experience with tree boas, but that does sound similar. Some behaviors, I would imagine, are quite un-tree boa, though. For instance, when I put holdback #4 back in her tub, she immediately burrowed under the bedding.

I am also hoping for some success in visual or bump sexing, as I am anxious about probing, especially while young. Time will tell.

Old 11-20-2014, 11:29 PM   #165
Snakesitter
Gorgeous little things. :-)

Old 11-21-2014, 06:28 AM   #166
cguarino30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakesitter View Post
Gorgeous little things. :-)
Thanks. It's so tempting to constantly pull them out and look at them. Haha. I always have to restrain myself so I'm not stressing them out unnecessarily.

Old 11-22-2014, 04:30 PM   #167
cguarino30
A little bit of an experiment tonight. All three of the anole-eaters were offered a medium sized (small adult) frozen/thawed anole. I've never offered frozen anoles to any of them before, and I'm hoping that all three take them, as it will let me freeze the remaining anoles. If any of them refuse to eat, I will offer them live on Tuesday.

Old 11-23-2014, 08:26 AM   #168
cguarino30
Alright, not too bad of a night. For the sake of simplicity, I'm going to give the troublemaker group names. T1 is the one that was formerly called the "reliable anole feeder." This is the animal that has consistently eaten every anole offered to it. T2 was previously the "former non-feeder," who was the second to start eating (now three meals deep), and T3 will be the "non-feeder" who ate his first anole on Tuesday.

T1 and T2 both ate their frozen/thawed anoles, so things are looking good for the both of them. T1 was moved to a tub recently, and seems to be adjusting well (especially considering that it did not stop him from eating). I may start trying to convert T1 over to chick thighs, or possibly anole-scented pinkies in the near future. I will also likely be moving T2 over to a tub in the near future, and if T2 continues to progress like T1, will also start making the attempt at food conversion.

T3 did not eat the f/t anole offered, but I am not overly concerned about this, for several reasons. Firstly, T3 just ate a few days ago, and may not have been hungry. Secondly, the f/t anole for T3 had to be placed in the crook of a branch, which was probably not the most manageable place from which to take food. T1 is in a tub, and the anole was just placed on the bedding, and T2's cage has a feeding ledge. T3's cage has no such ledge, but instead has a feeding bowl tied to a branch. T3 has taken up residence inside the bowl, so I was unable to place the anole there, and hung it in the branches instead. The anole was on the ground this morning, so it is entirely possible that T3 attempted to eat the anole, or at least was interested in it, but when it fell down, abandoned the attempt. T3 has also only eaten a small anole before, and this f/t was a medium, so that may also have been a factor, either in causing refusal, or at least contributing to the reluctance that resulted in knocking the anole onto the ground and being abandoned. In the next couple of days, I will put a live, medium anole in with T3 to see if he is willing to eat that, and if not, I will try a f/t small anole. This way, I can work out the preference and get T3 onto f/t as soon as possible. I will update with results.

Old 11-23-2014, 07:37 PM   #169
Snakesitter
Love the scientific method!

Old 11-24-2014, 07:16 AM   #170
cguarino30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakesitter View Post
Love the scientific method!
Haha. Thanks. I'm trying to be methodical, as I don't want to make any mistakes twice. Part of the reason I'm making this thread is so I can refer back to it in the future, so I'm making an attempt to explain my thoughts and actions in a way that will help promote future success.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!