nile cage - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-30-2012, 03:44 AM   #1
willy cross
nile cage

I am in the process of building a cage for my two baby niles. The cage is going to be 4×4×2
Four feet long four feet high and two feet wide is that to big or to small for them?
I know they will need a room sized enclosure when they are bigger but will this size do for a little while or is that to big to start with?

Old 06-30-2012, 11:27 AM   #2
hadenglock
Should be fine to start with, just make sure the cage has mulitple basking sites, and they get plenty of food. You will eventually see one of them get bigger than the other so make sure they are both eating good.

Old 06-30-2012, 11:31 AM   #3
willy cross
nile cage

Ok sounds good.....

Old 07-02-2012, 05:55 PM   #4
willy cross
Would it be better to build a cage 8 ft × 4 ft × 4 ft or would that be too big for now

Old 07-03-2012, 03:43 AM   #5
willy cross
cage help

I am building a cage 4 ft× 4 ft× 2 ft i am putting wheels on it so i can move it outside during nice weather...but sometimes it does rain when we dont expect it. My question is what kind of sealer can i use on the inside and outside of the cage to fight any weater good or bad.....

Old 07-03-2012, 03:50 PM   #6
willy cross
Question thompsons wood sealer

I was looking on the internet and it looks like thompsons wood sealer and stain will work for what I need is it ok for monitors after it drys???

Old 07-05-2012, 06:50 PM   #7
hadenglock
I use Miniwax for sealant, i specifically used the waterbased polycrylic over a traditional deck stain. I like the water based formula because it dries faster and it doesnt give off a strong odor, i used it to build my black roughneck monitors cage and so far ive had no problems. You can find it at any hardware store (lowes, home depot) in the wood finish section. I wouldnt see a problem with going bigger because they are going to grow fast if kept hot and fed right anyways.

Old 07-06-2012, 05:15 AM   #8
mialma09
Hey hows it goin man so I am a new user to this forum but I have had reptiles since I was like 5. But i have a 5' 1/2" ft black throat monitor and I just built him a 8'x2'1/2"x2'1/2" I did it like that so it would fit in my door to my apartment. But honestly u dont need anything too special for it I was on a budget and used plywood and coated like 5 layers of deck rain proof sealant and let each coat dry between for a day and the inside of the cage I bought a bunch of 12"x12" linolium tiles the breakable kind real cheap like 25 cents a tile and measured and laid them all down neatly edge to edge on the floor and sides of the cage and used liquid nails to seal it well underneath. Then put a few coats of seal wax over all the cracks the clear kind and got water sealed caulk glue to seal all the edges and corners really simply. Plus the linolium tiles put a nice look to the inside of the walls. But hope that helped out a little bit.

Old 07-06-2012, 05:16 AM   #9
mialma09
Also good luck on those niles man my buddy has had his for 2 years and that thing is still a serious A-hole haha.

Old 07-06-2012, 05:25 AM   #10
willy cross
Talking

Thanx for all the help I will post pics of the cage when im done I don't want to rush want to make it look nice....like I said thanx for the help ....

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!